Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Breastfeeding Question- please help!!

Breastfeeding Question- please help!! Rss

My 8 week old daughter has recently developed a rash all over her face, neck and chest, which the doctor believes to be either eczema or an allergic reaction.

Eitherway, he believes that it is being caused by something that I am eating being passed on to her through my breast milk. However, he hasnt really told me which foods exactly these could be.

I havent made any dramatic changes to my diet recently, nor have I introduced any new foods.

I was just wondering, does any one know of any foods that are known to cause eczema/ allergic reactions in babies if passed on through breast milk?

I'd REALLY appreciate any advice!!!

Katie, VIC, Aaliyah Kaylee born 28/11/06 & Mikayla

HI Katie

My son is 9 wks old smile I also have a 21 month old son.
I have found with boys the following things have upset their skin and their bellies through my breast milk... I wouldn't say they have eczema but they definately get a rash and more so - a belly ache.

Chocolate (this is the worst one!)
Tomatoes or tomato dishes like bolognaise etc
Curries/Chilli
Onions and any other wind producing vegies like cabbage and cauliflower.

I personally don't have a problem with dairy but have heard of others that it has gone through their milk and effected bub.

Hope i have helped and that through a process of elimination you can help your little girl.
Good luck darl. Let me know how you get on smile
Kel
Give the australian Breastfeeding Association a call
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/products/counselling.asp
Although it could also be a hormonal rash it's still better to talk to some one qualified in these things.
Best of luck & let me know you go. xxx
Hi katie_84,

Sometimes it can also be things that you aren't eating enough of - or just things that you could be eating MORE of. You could try to include more essential fatty acids which are found in foods like avocados, raw nuts and seeds, tuna, mackerel, salmon etc. EFA's are anti-inflammatory and a lack of them are often to blame in the case of skin conditions. You could take the easy option of supplementing with Flaxseed oil or Evening Primrose Oil from a health food store. It can't hurt and it is great for so many other health conditions as well!!
Good Luck!!
Sign in to follow this topic