Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Playing with a newborn ? Rss

So I don't know if i'm doing it right cause theres not really much to do with a newborn but generally i'll have bubs sitting in his bouncer and read him a story, sing etc, or have him on my lap doing the same. i'll walk around the house with him telling him what things are (i know he can't understand but it's something to do ! ) or just leave him on his mat to have a bit of a kick about, except i feel a bit guilty leaving him on his mat to kick around I feel like I am neglecting him and I should spend all the time he is awake with him.
I don't know though, what does everyone else do ?!

Sounds like you're doing plenty!! Plus there is nothing wrong with leaving him on his mat for a play, as this is how he will get stronger and eventually learn to roll, crawl, etc.. And if he has a mat with toys attached, it will aid his hand eye co-ordination. You can also put him on his tummy for tummy time, just don't overdo it while he is so young.
It sounds like you are doing great. At that age they love looking at you, the sound of your voice. They start to like to touch somethings though that picks up later. Floor play is really good for them. With dd1 and dd2 we would lay down beside them and talk or have rest. My mother always said the floor is a good spots because they can't fall. It's also good to give them the chance to try and move.

Are you doing tummy time? If their not into doing it straight on the floor having them on your chest is nice. Just be prepared if he has a full belly.

Use the time as a chance to fold wash and stuff because once her pulls him self up you won't get any peace do do stuff while his a wake.
That sounds great! You have given me some ideas.
My little boy is the same age and I am doing the same things as you! I also take him out for the walk in the buggy everyday, and he really enjoys bathtime with Daddy. I also feel guilty that I'm not doing enough, but I guess the reality is that at this age as long as he is getting plenty of food, sleep and love he will be fine!

So I don't know if i'm doing it right cause theres not really much to do with a newborn but generally i'll have bubs sitting in his bouncer and read him a story, sing etc, or have him on my lap doing the same. i'll walk around the house with him telling him what things are (i know he can't understand but it's something to do ! ) or just leave him on his mat to have a bit of a kick about, except i feel a bit guilty leaving him on his mat to kick around I feel like I am neglecting him and I should spend all the time he is awake with him.
I don't know though, what does everyone else do ?!

I think leaving him on his mat for a kick is good! It lets him gain the necessary strength in his arms, legs and back. It also teaches him independence - you need for your baby to be able to lay on the floor and occupy himself for a few minutes so you can go to the loo! I have had my son on the floor with no nappy on cos bugger if i would like that huge bulky thing stuffed up my bum all day! and i do the dishes or something. I talk to him while i do them and i can always see him but i believe it is not good for babies both mentally and physically to be carried around all the time,
I know exactly what you mean!, dont have any advice as I am currently feeling the same with my little girl she is 3 1/2 weeks old but just wanted to say I can relate! wink

I read somewhere that with newborns, changing their nappy is enough for them. smile

I used to stress out so much, but now I think I was so silly about making such a big deal about it. Alone time is good, you don't have to read them Harry Potter to be a good mum.
Sign in to follow this topic