Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. Help, worried about 5wk old bub!!

Help, worried about 5wk old bub!! Rss

My 5 wk old DS3 does this strange little muscle spasmy thing, obviously being so new he is still very jerky in his movements but this thing he does is just different.

He sort of tenses up and clenches and his arms and legs will jerk in and out rythmically anywhere from 3 to 7-8 times. He is awake the whole time, though he may sort of grimace. Just doesn't look like it is normal to me, but I might be just paranoid.

We have a paed appt in 2 wks, and I have spoken to CYH and we got him checked by Doctor today. The Doc said it doesn't look like epilepsy (which I didn't think it was) and clinically he looked ok there - of course he didn't do it in front of the Doc. I've been looking up Dr Google - I know, I know, not good - and scaring myself a bit.

I'm a nurse and third time mum (so you'd think i'd know what I was doing lol), but he is different to my other two and I know I sound paranoid and am probably being silly - but was hoping someone else may have seen this in a baby and can tell me it's nothing!!!??? He has reflux and chucks all the time (not projectile though) and has not passed any hearing tests so far (see audiologist next week), but he does seem to be responding more and more to noise now.

Can anyone reassure me and tell me i'm just being silly lol??

Hello,

Not sure about your son but my DD use to do something simular around that age, her legs use to shake sorta thing but the rest of her body was still?? But i havent seen her do it for a long time. Hopefully it is just his reflex's and his just getting use to having lots of space to move around in, instead of your tummy!

I hope there is nothing wrong smile
Considering you're a nurse I would trust your judgement. It may be nothing, but if you're worried I would get a second or third opinion, until you're satisfied.
Hi

Sounds normal. Our DS did that when we was about that age. Scared my DH & I so we went rushing to the dr. It's something to with part of their normal development, but can't remember exactly what it was all about, sorry.

Our DS had reflux too & was eventually put on a low dose of Losec.

Being a nurse & 3rd time mum doesn't mean you should know everything. You're being too hard on yourself. smile

Good you have appts soon for reassurance.
Hi, I know how you are feeling. My 7 week old started "twitching" at day 2 and we didn't get a diagnosis until we had been into hospital twice by ambulance. He only did his when he slept and the diagnosis was Benign neonatal sleep myoclonus which he has nearly grown out of. It only happens when they are asleep is my understanding so yours sounds different. But to get the diagnosis we took a video on our digital camera when he did it at home and showed the paediatrician that because of course he never did it in hospital. So have your camera handy and hopefully this will help them work out what your son is doing smile

Hi, I know how you are feeling. My 7 week old started "twitching" at day 2 and we didn't get a diagnosis until we had been into hospital twice by ambulance. He only did his when he slept and the diagnosis was Benign neonatal sleep myoclonus which he has nearly grown out of. It only happens when they are asleep is my understanding so yours sounds different. But to get the diagnosis we took a video on our digital camera when he did it at home and showed the paediatrician that because of course he never did it in hospital. So have your camera handy and hopefully this will help them work out what your son is doing smile

Yeah, I haven't noticed him do it in his sleep - how often did your little do it? DS3 has done it a few times this week - I've noticed it previously but did just think it was his immature nervous system still trying to sort itself out, but the more he does it the more I think it may not be normal.

I actually mentioned to my midwife late in my pregnancy this funny jerky type movement he was making (like a seizure) while still inside - makes me wonder now if he was doing it then? Doc said today maybe it was just BH - ummmm.....No, nothing like it lol!!!

Ahhh, I dunno, might be just nothing. I'm monitoring him at the moment to see when he does it, if he strains and has bowel movement or anything else at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.

It does sound different to my sons. The first time we were discharged they pretty much said it was exaggerated moro reflex which is what you are thinking maybe? My sons is only when he sleeps and we worked out is triggered by noise- he startles in his sleep then has little twitchy seizures that we found stop quicker if we lay him in a quiet place. The paediatrician was happy that they are reducing in frequency and he is growing out of it- only 2 in the last 3 weeks but they were nearly every day for the first few weeks.
As I said before, keep a camera handy if you have one with a video and record it. Makes diagnosis easier if they can see it. Goodluck, hope you get answers and/or he grows out of it soon smile

My 5 wk old DS3 does this strange little muscle spasmy thing, obviously being so new he is still very jerky in his movements but this thing he does is just different.

He sort of tenses up and clenches and his arms and legs will jerk in and out rythmically anywhere from 3 to 7-8 times. He is awake the whole time, though he may sort of grimace. Just doesn't look like it is normal to me, but I might be just paranoid.

We have a paed appt in 2 wks, and I have spoken to CYH and we got him checked by Doctor today. The Doc said it doesn't look like epilepsy (which I didn't think it was) and clinically he looked ok there - of course he didn't do it in front of the Doc. I've been looking up Dr Google - I know, I know, not good - and scaring myself a bit.

I'm a nurse and third time mum (so you'd think i'd know what I was doing lol), but he is different to my other two and I know I sound paranoid and am probably being silly - but was hoping someone else may have seen this in a baby and can tell me it's nothing!!!??? He has reflux and chucks all the time (not projectile though) and has not passed any hearing tests so far (see audiologist next week), but he does seem to be responding more and more to noise now.

Can anyone reassure me and tell me i'm just being silly lol??

Are you coming up to see Nigel? when you do i have pants for you. YOur mum never seems to work at the same time as me LOL.

Why dont you give sue or the C ward a ring one morning about the same time nigel is there? He might have a chat to you on the phone, you never know. He has helped me out before when i have been there and had probs with moo. And yo are probably more wary especially given the hearing probs as well.

IM sure everything will be fine. And dont think just caus your a nurse you shoudl know. WHen it comes to the kids you may as well throw everythin you know and your degree out the window because thats how useful it is. Im still like that with my kids when im really worried about something.
Hey B, got an appt with Tom in two weeks (he comes over here wednesdays) - but, we're coming over tomorrow for the day, will be up the hossy in the morning, if anyone is around i'll see if I can have a chat. Are you working in the morning???

BD's mum - glad your son is having less of them. It's not the moro reflex, more like he's punching out in front of him. Hard to explain really. I'll try and catch it on video, he hasn't done it again this arvo but will keep an eye on him and see what he does.

Sign in to follow this topic