Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

'Conditioning' Rss

Does anyone do this ? Just watched a dvd on water safety and they say you should start pouring water over babies head from very early i think either birth or 2 weeks they said to get them use to water so when they start swimming they are use to being under water holding their breath etc etc

Does anyone do this ? It looked a little bit mean to the babies !! But it seems like the right idea.

Yep, I started by trickling water over their face then the 1 2 3 go and pour a cup of water over, I started the trickling from around amonth or so then 1 23 by a few months old
Forgot to add by 6mths they could go in a pool or bath 1 2 3 go and I would dunk them right under
Yup!
My mother is a swim teacher (for adults and infants) and shes always going on at me about what i need to do to prep bub for swimming lol
She told me every bath you give them trickle water over there head (only needs to be a little) and it gets them into the habit of holding there breath. If you dont , by the time they go into a pool they find it hard to go underwater and they lose the reflex of holding there breath and when they are older its harder to instill in them.
My mother says some of the kids she gets in 2yrs + who havent had this done to them, they find it really hard to teach them to hold there breath and the kids start to struggle in the water alot more than those who can do it.
I imagine it would sound and look abit cruel but it teaches them alot for when they are older.
So i say definately get into the habit of doing it and you'll appreciate it later in life.
xxxxxxxxxx
(my mother is super an@l about water safety and says the earlier you can teach them about water safety and swimming the better!)
P.S they start professional lessons from 6 months old!
yep, I do 123 then pour the water over, I have since he was 2 months old. He gets a look on his face like hes about to cry but I just have the biggest grin on my face and start doing the 'good boy...yay....good Riley' thing and he smiles and starts laughing!!
We did, then for some reason stopped (traveling/ too cold etc...), we shouldn't have stopped, she has very little hair, so I don't wash it very often and when I did the other day, she got so upset about water on her hair.

My advice is do it, and continue to do it everyday no matter what!

Yup!
My mother is a swim teacher (for adults and infants) and shes always going on at me about what i need to do to prep bub for swimming lol
She told me every bath you give them trickle water over there head (only needs to be a little) and it gets them into the habit of holding there breath. If you dont , by the time they go into a pool they find it hard to go underwater and they lose the reflex of holding there breath and when they are older its harder to instill in them.
My mother says some of the kids she gets in 2yrs + who havent had this done to them, they find it really hard to teach them to hold there breath and the kids start to struggle in the water alot more than those who can do it.
I imagine it would sound and look abit cruel but it teaches them alot for when they are older.
So i say definately get into the habit of doing it and you'll appreciate it later in life.
xxxxxxxxxx
(my mother is super an@l about water safety and says the earlier you can teach them about water safety and swimming the better!)
P.S they start professional lessons from 6 months old!

oh i hope i havn't left it too late then !!!! i'm gonna start tomorrow night definatly !! since i was pregnant i said i'd put him in swimming lessons when he was 6 months. i think swimming is a thing every child needs to learn

With all 3 of mine I would pour warm water from the bath over their heads, at first just letting it run down the back of their heads but gradually letting it run over their faces too, all 3 have never had any issues with swimming and being submerged.
I've had comments from rellies about how much my babies love the water at such a young age (about 2 months or so) and how they even seem to like the water on their heads. I would not have done it if they didn't seem to like it smile

I've always poured water over DD's head, letting it trickle over her face. I didn't know it was beneficial- she just really likes it!!

She also loves the shower, where she unavoidably gets water on her face.
I never consciously thought about it, I just washed them and their hair and havent had a drama with either of my kids having water running over their face.
Sign in to follow this topic