Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. Wind, Reflux or just a normal unsettled baby

Wind, Reflux or just a normal unsettled baby Rss

Hi all,

My 2.5 wk old baby has been very unsettled and grizzly for two days now. She will cry before a feed and after a feed then eventually settle down only to start again. Only her dummy soothes her for a bit but as soon as it fall sout she starts crying again. She did not sleep well last night and was grunting alot in her sleep and kept waking every hour.

Not sure if it is something I should be gettng something from pharmacy to help settle her or if this is just a normal phase for a 2.5 wk old baby to be unsettled and crying and grunting??

I have been feeding her breastmilk from a bottle as she did not like breastfeeding and would go all stiff and jerk her head around so I find bottles are best to feed her.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi all,

My 2.5 wk old baby has been very unsettled and grizzly for two days now. She will cry before a feed and after a feed then eventually settle down only to start again. Only her dummy soothes her for a bit but as soon as it fall sout she starts crying again. She did not sleep well last night and was grunting alot in her sleep and kept waking every hour.

Not sure if it is something I should be gettng something from pharmacy to help settle her or if this is just a normal phase for a 2.5 wk old baby to be unsettled and crying and grunting??

I have been feeding her breastmilk from a bottle as she did not like breastfeeding and would go all stiff and jerk her head around so I find bottles are best to feed her.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated
this happened to us and it turned out we were underfeeding our bub. We increased her amounts per feed and she is now very settled. We now offer 120 mls per feed.
Your poor bubba and you - not nice for either of you.

Possibly reflux? maybe silent reflux - they bring up the stomach acid then swallow it and it burns - harder to diagnose as it's not something visible like when they have reflux and vomit. does she like being upright when you feed her? reflux babies like dummys as the sucking helps them. You'd have to go to your dr and see if they will prescribe medication for it although sometimes just some mylanta is enough.

Colic babies normally pull their feet up and cry a lot.

Maybe try gripe water or infants friend as she's prob too young for anything else.

If she doesnt settle within the next few days i'd be off to my gp
it could be a handful of things all culminating together - the crying after a feed could be reflux, and sucking the dummy sounds like it is soothing it (it increases the amount of saliva which can neutralise the stomach acids).

try raising the cot at one end with phone books - if it is reflux that can help keep the feed in their tummy. try to keep bub upright for about 15 to 20 mins after a feed. given that you are feeding ebm you could try gaviscon infant - but probably speak with a gp or chn first before you get it. we had ds1 on it 7 weeks before we started seeing a chiro and it really helped with his reflux.

the grunting in bed could be wind. DS2 was a very noisy sleeper for the first 6 weeks and is now a lot quieter. he does sometimes get bad wind and we have been using gripe water which helps him a lot. or some babies can just be very noisy sleepers. i must admit some nights i was having so much trouble sleeping that i ended up having to turn the monitor off - i was going to check him and finding he was sound asleep just groaning away. lol.

Sign in to follow this topic