Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. road trip with new born AND toddler

road trip with new born AND toddler Rss

Hey, just after some tips with travelling with a possibly min. 4week old and toddler! We are planning a week holiday but we need to drive (10hours)! Im thinking of doing 3 hours and stopping spending the night and then heading off for the other 7hours! I will be breastfeeding the Newborn so we will be stopping at least 2 times... My toddler is very fuss free and happy go lucky so its not him i'm worried about its more the newborn!!! Any tips at all would be helpful!

Also is a car seat best for the newborn OR should i hire a capsule?
I had to do a 13 hr road trip last yr not long after DD2 was born I drove 6 hours I had pre booked in at a caravan park and stayed the night then kept going in the morning.
I stopped when DD2 was hungry DD1 was fine to just be given some food when ever she was hungry an shes really good in the car!
For the carseat or capsual I just used the car seat I already had but used it in capsual position (of corse), although to hire a capsual from the ambulance is great because they will fit it for you so you know it's all safe!

Have a safe trip!
We found the best time to travel long distances with our 2 was actually to pack the car the night before and then get up and go about 1am in the morning. DH goes to bed early the night before & then I used to get up a bit earlier, wake bub up give her a breast feed and then put her in the capsule ready to go and DH would then get up a few minutes before we were ready to leave and I would go back to sleep in the car smile. We would then stop for breakfast around 6 or 7 & let DS out for a decent play. We found this way they would sleep through the majority of the trip and it avoided a lot of the screaming when they got bored.

Definitely recommend purchasing a DVD player & stocking up on plenty of little snack foods for your toddler.

With regards to the car seat, either is good but we found the capsule was great for being able to get bubs in and out of the car without disturbing them too much.

Robin

I recently just returned from a wedding about 11 hours drive away. I took all three kids (youngest being 5wks at the time) and since DH couldn't come it was all on me! I split the journey going up to the wedding and drove straight through coming home. Like you I am breastfeeding so I had planned stops along the way.

DD slept most of the time in the car and when we did stop I made sure to let her have a good stretch and kick around on her mat on the floor of the cafe. I also made sure that I stuck to her nightly routine so that was why we stopped on the first part of the journey.

Since DD was only 5wks, most of my family hadn't actually met her and everyone wanted a cuddle. I had to watch that she wasn't passed around too much, especially the day before we were heading home as that would make her over tired. She handled the trip really well, only getting grizzly in the last few hours of driving on our way home - by that time we had all had enough though! The only other time she got remotely grizzly was when she got really hot in the car - not an issue if you have air con (which we don't). Luckily we were stopping any way and she got taken out of her carseat etc. I'm sure you'll be fine, hope you enjoy your holiday

With regards to the car seat, either is good but we found the capsule was great for being able to get bubs in and out of the car without disturbing them too much.

Agreed. Forgot to say that we had a capsule and it was great for the same reason.
ooo i hope things go well for you!!

I was just about to post something similar lol

I have a 7 month old and we have a wedding to go to in a week. We have to get up at about 6 and we don't arrive till 1. we are going by airplane Now what i'm worried about is the ear popping situation and wether she is going to get grizzly and sleep etc sad othwerwise it's going to be a whoole 7 hours without sleep :|

ooo i hope things go well for you!!

I was just about to post something similar lol

I have a 7 month old and we have a wedding to go to in a week. We have to get up at about 6 and we don't arrive till 1. we are going by airplane Now what i'm worried about is the ear popping situation and wether she is going to get grizzly and sleep etc sad othwerwise it's going to be a whoole 7 hours without sleep :|

Hi, we had to take DS on an airplane at 2 weeks old and the nurse told me just to breastfeed as we took off and landed - the sucking motion helps relieve the pressure on their ears. Not sure if your breastfeeding or not but pretty sure a bottle or dummy or maybe even something to chew on? might work the same.

Robin

When DD was 3 months old we did brisbane to melbourne. But we had two drivers. We choose to drive throught the night I did from 1am - 6am. On the way back we stopped at Dubbo. I have to say DD was much better behaved when we travelled through the night. She was a bit harder to travel with when we stopped over night. That was our experience anyway. Travellling trought the night kinda kept her in routine.
Now that she's bigger we have a 2 and 1/2 hour trip to see my family and the dvd player makes the trip great.
Sign in to follow this topic