Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Premmie babies Rss

My DP's cousin has just had a little boy and he was born a month early and my god he is tiny!!

She was only in hospital for two days and they are now home! Don't get me wrong he is a little cutie (looks SO much like his mum) but he just looks so undercooked lol (for want of a better word)...and I am just so surprised they got to take him home so quickly....

So a question for all those premmie baby mummies...how long did it take your little bubs to put on weight and did you encounter any issues caused by entering the world a little early??

My baby was also born a month early and weighing 7pounds,it shcoked all the staff coz they kept telling me when i was in labour to expect a tiny baby.She was born fine and has been ever since,though at 15 months she only weighs about 9kgs so shes small now but apart form that Im lucky.I have heard of alot of other stoires though and also ones born 2-3 months early,the wee lil tiny ones that are like 1 pound always amaze me.
My baby was also born a month early and weighing 7pounds,it shcoked all the staff coz they kept telling me when i was in labour to expect a tiny baby.She was born fine and has been ever since,Im lucky.I have heard of alot of other stoires though and also ones born 2-3 months early,the wee lil tiny ones that are like 1 pound always amaze me.
My baby was also born a month early and weighing 7pounds,it shcoked all the staff coz they kept telling me when i was in labour to expect a tiny baby.She was born fine and has been ever since,Im lucky.I have heard of alot of other stoires though and also ones born 2-3 months early,the wee lil tiny ones that are like 1 pound always amaze me.
DD1 was born at 32+5 and thankfully was a good weight. She stayed in hospital for 3 1/2 weeks (only due to me fighting to get her out due to a fire in the SCN, a EBM mix up etc...), they originally hold told me to expect her to stay in until 2-3 weeks prior to her due date.

To be honest she never did that catch up that prems are supposed to do as she is small naturally anyway. As far as the looking undercooked though, she looked like a brand new baby for about 2 months and was curled up like a newborn for a good 4 or 5 months.

The main problems we had in the beginning were breathing and temperature issues, jaundice and not being able to breastfeed until she was 8 weeks old (fed her expressed milk via nasal tube and bottles until then). As she got older it became clear she had reflux which is pretty common in prems as they just haven't developed fully in that regard as well as swallowing problems that meant that she did not start eating non pureed solids until around 14 months old. She was a little behind developmentally in her first year, has asthma and has always been small but at 3 1/2 years she is a pretty happy and healthy girl and is just like any full term 3 year old.
wow staying in hospital for 2 days being a month early is really good,but bub must of been fully healthy to be discharged

DD1 was 5 weeks early and weighed 5 pound,5 oz and was rushed in ambulance the next morning to the childrens hospital due to not keeping her temptature,not feeding and fairly jaundice.After coming back to the maternity hosp we stayed another 3 weeks.Weight was continually checked during her 1st year(now weighs the same as any other 3 yr old)Reached her milestones a little later but as a PP has said my girl is a happy a healthy 3 yr old

I would imagine that being 4 weeks early, and being discharged, maybe they got her dates wrong in the 1st place???? Maybe? lol

DS was only 2 weeks early, but he spent 3 days in special care, and as soon as he was discharged from there, we were allowed to go home. I guess it depends on how well baby is (feeding etc) and if it was a straight forward birth etc etc. I was MORE than happy to be going home after 3 days grin
my boys were nearly a month early. we were in hospital for 4 days but thankfully not in SCBU. DS1 had trouble with his temp at first but 2hrs on DPs chest sorted that out and they both had jaundice but not enough to need the lights (did get close tho).

they were born 5lb 1oz and 5lb 12oz but didnt take long to start piling on the weight - they are 1yr old now and are both around 13kgs and at the top of the chart for height lol

other then not smiling or laughing a bit later then 'normal' they have both reached their milestones 'on time' smile

and yup they both looked undercooked too lol

my boys were nearly a month early. we were in hospital for 4 days but thankfully not in SCBU. DS1 had trouble with his temp at first but 2hrs on DPs chest sorted that out and they both had jaundice but not enough to need the lights (did get close tho).

they were born 5lb 1oz and 5lb 12oz but didnt take long to start piling on the weight - they are 1yr old now and are both around 13kgs and at the top of the chart for height lol

other then not smiling or laughing a bit later then 'normal' they have both reached their milestones 'on time' smile

and yup they both looked undercooked too lol

While my bubs was full term, she did end up in the NICU because she didn't breathe when she came out. She looked like a giant compared to all the other babies in the NICU who were pretty much all premmies (and at 7 pounds 4 ounces/3280g she was the smallest in a group of babies my friends/colleagues have had in the last year.

Like some of the others have said, there isn't necessarily a set rule for weight gain or complications. My nephew was also born a month early and while he took a while to put on weight at first, he is doing well now and at nearly two years old is thriving at daycare right now and when I first saw him (at a year old as he was born in England), I wouldn't have known he was early.

My mother's best friend, who is in her mid seventies, was born at the end of December when her due date was at the start of March. She does have some susceptibility to lung issues which could be down to her early arrival, but otherwise she is fine. The standard joke for her is that when she was born, she fit inside a shoe box, but now she finds it hard to find a shoe box her foot can fit in to. This was over 70 years ago when there were no incubators or NICUs and she has done fine. Premmies are usually fighters and while there can be complications, they can often beat some really incredible odds.

I have a thread up under forum>newborn>after the birth called NICU Babies where I have asked parents of NICU babies to post any thoughts on what can be done to support NICU parents and their families (premmies and full term babies). For those of you viewing this post who have had babies in the NICU/know of those who have, please feel free to post any thoughts you may have from your own experiences. Cleary87's query is probably a pretty common question among parents and families of premmies/other NICU babies so any support for them is great-this is part of what makes the Huggies forums so great. smile
Since this is a topic on Premmie babies, I was born at 26 weeks, and stayed in the hospital for 98 days, Mum dose not know the cause of me being early, there was complications after my birth, the doctors thought I would not survive the night, let alone the 98 days in the hospital. I was small as a barbie doll, I could fit on the palm of my mother's hand. I almost died when I was born, they asked mum if there was anyone she would like to ring, so she had rung her sister in law to tell my father that I was born early. I got baptised once while there, and then when I got out of hospital after the 98 days, Dad was with me at the time, and we flew up to Rockhampton to visit my aunty, mum and sister. Problem was, I spent another week in the hospital again because I was Ill. I know during the time I was in hospital mum was telling me that they always was there and used to stick their hand in to the crib to tell me that they were there, I was wrapped in gladwrap (strange.......) and had heaps of coards around me....I wish I could find the picture but i can't v.v

They had trouble with me during the first two years, due to having to much oxygen, my vision had gotten worse, and the doctor now blames himself because of that but I do not blame him at all, they let me lived and that what mattered to me. I didn't start walking until I was over 2 years old, they had stilts or something attached to my legs so I could stand and walk. I was hard to handle then my sister Lolz, and she was only 4 weeks early (or from what mum told me) Me and my sis are only pretty much 12 1/2 months apart from age. I had to wear glasses before I turned two. (hehe I used to try and break my glasses everytime my sister got a new pair tongue)

I'm still small, and my development in life was pretty slow, education wise was pretty bad. (That was because I kept changing from one school to the other during my early years because i used to hate the school I went to).

kay i am going to shoot out before I keep blabling on.
Sign in to follow this topic