Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How do i blow my DS nose? Rss

My DS who is 5 weeks has his first cold, im using saline drops but his nose is still blocked when feeding.
TIA
There is a sucker thing you get in the box with LittleNoses saline drops that you can use to suck the yuck out. I have heard of some people *gag* sucking it out *gag* *gag* themselves *gag* *gag* *gag* but there is no way I could do that, it makes me feel like throwing up just thinking about it!! Other than that I dont think there is much else you can do.

There is a sucker thing you get in the box with LittleNoses saline drops that you can use to suck the yuck out. I have heard of some people *gag* sucking it out *gag* *gag* themselves *gag* *gag* *gag* but there is no way I could do that, it makes me feel like throwing up just thinking about it!! Other than that I dont think there is much else you can do.

hehehe.. yup.. i was feeling the same way while reading your post!

I've used this sucker thing before but I didn't find that it worked so much! I use cotton buds to clean DD's nose as much as I can, plus nose drops. That's all you can do really. I wish there was a Nasal spray for babies!! (that stuff works like magic!!)
Hi there,
It is awful when your little one has the snuffles.
The only suggestions are really what other PP's have said, but you could also put bubs in his rocker or bouncer while you have a hot shower without using the extraction fan, so that the steam helps to loosen the mucous as well. Then try the "sucky thing".

His Royal Highness, Prince William

Hi, our DD got her first cold at 6 weeks. We did the following (at the advice of other wonderful huggies mummies smile)
*Brought a steam vapouriser (we got a vicks one from the Chemist was $40) this was great.
*We got 'Fess Little Noses) it is a spray and also has a sucker thing in the box, if you dont feel comfortable using the sucker I found even just spraying the stuff helped our DD with feeding. Also when you use the sucker remember you need to create an air seal around the sucker in the nostral and also block the other nostral as otherwise it cant suck properly.
*Our ENHC also showed me how to do a nasal massage on our DD and after doing this the snot also came down and I was able to move it away with a tissue. To do the nasal massage you put your thumb on that little bone almost at the top of the nose (its on each side and feels kinda rounded) then in a gentle sweeping motion rub outwards from the bone and along the bottom of the eye socket and few times and it helps to loosen it. Sorry its not a very good description but maybe ask your clinic nurse to show you.
*If your breast feeding my doctor recommended that as bubs couldnt feed for as long to express some of the fore-milk (milk that comes first) before each feed to ensure that when bubs is drinking he is getting the rich milk.
*Also if bubs snot is green for more than 1 week my doctor told me to go back to her which we needed to do as bubs had also then developed a cough.

Hope your bubs gets better soon
I totally agree with PP but I thoughtit may help to know what the sucky thingy is called lol, as you can buy them on there own. Its called a bulb aspirator.
Sign in to follow this topic