Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Reasons for Circumcision Lock Rss

Just a quick question as someone on facebook on a baby page was asking about circumcision's

what are the reasons people get this done?
whats the difference in getting it done and not getting it done?

both my 2 boys are not done as my other half isnt and it was something we actually never thought about i just thought if u kept the area clean that it will be fine. Do people get it done just incase of infections etc?

Please keep this post friendly as im just curious

Just a quick question as someone on facebook on a baby page was asking about circumcision's

what are the reasons people get this done?
whats the difference in getting it done and not getting it done?

both my 2 boys are not done as my other half isnt and it was something we actually never thought about i just thought if u kept the area clean that it will be fine. Do people get it done just incase of infections etc?

Please keep this post friendly as im just curious

My son has been diagnosed with Phimosis so late this year he will be having it done - he is 5 turning 6. I never wanted to have it done to him but its for the best now under the circumstances
I think a lot of people get it done simply because the dad had it done and they want them to look the same. I have two DDs so am glad I didn't have to make the decision. My DH would have wanted it so they were the same as him, but I wouldn't want it as it's less common these days and I wouldn't want my son being the "odd one out" at school etc. I don't see any need for it, but each to their own I guess.
Just search circ on this forum to see what peoples reasons are for doing it. I have three boys who are all intact. One of the main reasons being that we didn't want to put them thru unnecessary pain.
No need to do these days there are extreme medical conditions but very rare no need to do just because dad is done... I have two boys both intact, I am from NZ and it isn't done here if parents want it done its quite hard to find someone i believe.......

also its exteme pain on a newborn which isn't require..... heres a face book page to look at the WHOLE network
[quote name='~Ruby~Gloom~' date='14 February 2011 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1297661393' post='2917626'] Just search circ on this forum to see what peoples reasons are for doing it. [/quote] That's one way of doing it. tongue I have found the most common ones are usually, in no particular order: [list] [item]Religious beliefs [/item][item]Medical problems [/item][item]Looking like dad [/item][item]Cleaner [/item][item]'Just in case' [/item][/list] Personally, as it's not a part of MY body, IMO it's not my decision to make about whether they keep their foreskin or not. If they are in that small percentage of children who require a medical circumcision then we can address that IF we need to but otherwise I am not going to make a decision to cut off a piece of their body when they might not want that for themselves. Historically, circumcision in other cultures has been a 'right of passage' into manhood and hasn't involved baby boys being circumcised at birth.

Some benifits listed by the Russell Medical Centre

• Eliminates the risk of phimosis, which aff ects 1 in 10 older
boys and men. This condition refers to a tight foreskin that
cannot be pulled back fully, so making cleaning under it,
and passing urine, diffi cult. Phimosis also greatly increases
the risk of penile cancer, and is the cause of foreskin and
catheter problems in nursing homes.

• Reduces by 3-fold the risk of infl ammation and infection
of the skin of the penis. One in 10 uncircumcised men
get infl ammation of the head of the penis and foreskin.
This rises to 1 in 3 if the uncircumcised man is diabetic.
(Uncircumcised diabetic men also have other severe penile
problems.) In contrast only 2% of circumcised men get this
condition.

• Over 10-fold decrease in risk of urinary tract infection.
Whereas risk of this is only 1 in 500 for a circumcised
boy, 1 in 50 uncircumcised male infants will get a urinary
tract infection. This very painful condition is particularly
dangerous in infancy, and in 40% of cases can lead to
kidney infl ammation and disease; sepsis and meningitis can
also result.

• Over 20-fold decrease in risk of invasive penile cancer,
which has a high fatality rate. One in 600 uncircumcised
men get penile cancer, which usually requires penile
amputation or disfi guring surgery leading to impared
penile function.

• Uncircumcised men have 1½ – 2 times the risk of
prostate cancer, which aff ects 1 in 6 men.

• Reduces by approximately 3- to 7-fold the risk of
getting HIV (AIDS), during sex with an infected woman. HIV
enters via the vulnerable inner lining of the foreskin of a
healthy penis, but can also infect via sores anywhere on
the penis (caused for example by genital herpes, balanitis
or infl ammation). In countries such as Australia that have
a low prevalence of HIV the risk of a heterosexual man
being infected with HIV sexually is generally low. His risk,
especially if uncircumcised, will be much greater if he
engages in unsafe sex with people of countries in which HIV abounds. Condoms further reduce risk and should always
be used.

• Circumcision also affords substantial protection against
thrush as well as sexually transmitted infections such as
papilloma (wart) virus, syphilis and chancroid.

• Circumcision reduces by up to 5 times the risk of
the man’s female partner being infected by chlamydia
or getting cervical cancer (which is caused by human
papillomavirus). The load of infectious bacteria and viruses
that accumulate under the foreskin is delivered into the
female genital tract during sex. Chlamydia has more than
doubled over the past 5 years in Australia and can cause
infertility (in both sexes), pelvic infl ammatory disease, and
ectopic pregnancy.

• If not circumcised soon after birth, up to 10% will later
require one anyway for medical reasons.

• Credible research shows that most women prefer the
appearance of the circumcised penis. They also prefer it for
sexual activity. Hygiene is one reason; increased contact of
the penis with the vaginal wall, and stimulation, are others.

• In general, sexual function and sensation are the same
or better in circumcised men. The problem of overly tender
sensitivity of the head of the penis experienced by most
uncircumcised men is virtually eliminated.

Also heres a link on circumcision. http://www.circinfo.net/
Removing a infants forskin for just in case issues is irrelivant. Extremely painful for any baby regardless of what any parent has said.
women are more likely to have urinary tract infections which can be easily treated.

And there are those who say babies do not feel anything. EVEN" if per say the circ did not hurt, who would think that an infant could "sleep through" being stripped naked, strapped spread eagle on a cold plastic restraint and the cleaned with cold iodine on their genitals. Oh and dont forget the numbing agent's needle piercing the base of their penis, just for good measure though cause they can't feel pain.

Have a look at Saving our sons on face book for all the reasons not too. You can always fix any problems later if needed but removing a natural part of the body is like saying your baby isn't perfect the way he is.

Removing a infants forskin for just in case issues is irrelivant. Extremely painful for any baby regardless of what any parent has said.
women are more likely to have urinary tract infections which can be easily treated.

And there are those who say babies do not feel anything. EVEN" if per say the circ did not hurt, who would think that an infant could "sleep through" being stripped naked, strapped spread eagle on a cold plastic restraint and the cleaned with cold iodine on their genitals. Oh and dont forget the numbing agent's needle piercing the base of their penis, just for good measure though cause they can't feel pain.

Have a look at Saving our sons on face book for all the reasons not too. You can always fix any problems later if needed but removing a natural part of the body is like saying your baby isn't perfect the way he is.

You are brave for posting this, I will give you that! lol! I just hope that other posters respect your opinion and don't give you a hard time cos they don't agree. Good 'ol Huggies! tongue

My DS isn't done. My DH is. We made the decision not to for various reasons and are happy with our decision. However, just in the past few months, DS has had "issues" and has a slight case of phimosis. Hopefully within the next 12 months it will corect itself, as its only slight, but we have to go back and get him checked again at a later date to see if its improved, or whether he will need to be circumcised. sad

If he does have to have it done, he will be 5 years old when it happens. I said to DH "maybe we should have had it done when he was a baby" but you can never foresee what will happen down the track, and at that time we made the decision WE thought was the right one for us and for our DS.

I must admit I have always been a fencesitter with this topic. I'm not particularly for it or against it. I think some people have some silly reasons for getting it done, but like us, that was the decision they made at the time.

Why do people have to be so dramatic??

Im not for circumcision but I think the pro post above would give me greater food for thought than some raving post. I really hope FB doesnt use raving dramatics otherwise it would be of little value to people truly seeking a balanced argument.
I do hope this doesn't turn into a "debate" again :/ For me, personally, I feel if he wasn't meant to have it, he wouldn't have been born with it, so my son has his foreskin. I feel it is an unnecessary procedure. Most "reasons" seem to be in case things - like that it might prevent an infection, or it mightreduce the risk of cancer or whatever. Frankly, a lot of the things circumcision supposedly might help prevent would be just as well prevented by boys being taught good personal hygiene and the importance of using condoms.

It's a very personal decision, and I have nothing against people who do choose to circumcise, but for me there just was NO convincing enough reason FOR it.

Oh and on a side note, I don't have a preference on cut or uncut when it comes to sex. A penis is a penis and I don't actually give a bugger what it looks like lol. Besides, when they're erect, the foreskin is back anyway so it doesn't look any different. And just because a guy is circumcised doesn't mean it's any cleaner!

I think also you are brave for saying what some are thinking and are to scared to say. If you can change one persons mind its a bonus.
Good for you for being up front and saying how you feel. I don't think you are being dramatic either.
Sign in to follow this topic