Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Bathing your newborn? Lock Rss

Hi there,
Baby baths are absolutely worth it. Mine cost $30, and DD is now 18mths and I still use it for her. Bathing daily for newborns is great, it gets them into a night-time routine early, and is very relaxing for them. I am not sure why you wouldn't bath daily. We have a MASSIVE bath at home, and it is still not worth filling every day for DD's bath.
I used a baby bath and it was so worth it. I got mine for $8 from a garage sale. If your DP is worried about the costs I would recommend maybe setting a budget and doing a couple of weekends garage saling. I picked up so much awesome stuff like a high chair, cloth nappy stand, bath, toys, trolly padding thing, etc and it was all at bargin prices.
As a nanny I have used both, I have prefered the baby bath, which I normally used on top of kitchen bench (one house we put it on floor and filled up with jugs of warm water) like above poster said you can pick them up second hand or if there is a 2 dollar store ( or similar ) I know they sell baby baths very cheap, other place is op- shops, hunt around and if your the one staying home with baby then get what you feel comfortable using smile

I agre with the PP's: a baby bath is well worth it. Adding just enough water to fill a big bath to 10cm just seemed so much more of a waste than the baby bath. In addition, a baby bath can be placed on a table so that the bath is at a good height- no bending over on your knees with a slippery newborn! I even used a bath support in it as he was really little!

We initially only bathed DS every second day as he was prone to eczema and the warm water actually made him drier, despite adding QV bath oil.

I had a baby bath for DS1 and it was a pain the the a**. I couldn't lift it when it had water in it without spilling it everywhere, it was big and just got in the way, took ages to fill it, and just made a mess (or maybe that was just me making the mess <span class="emoticon grin">grin</span> ).

For DS2, i had one of those plastic inserts like this My link that you just put in the bath and i just put a cloth nappy over it so bubwasn't on plastic. But i did have DS1 as well, so bathed DS2 first then DS1 got in a had a bath, and as DS2 got a bit older, i did them together. Also, alot of the time i took DS2 in the shower with me, as you say, they dont get "dirty" as such, but it was great bonding time. DH did this also and found it great for bonding too as I was BF. It gave him the skin2skin contact.

For this bub, i will use the same bath insert as well as showering with him. Not even going to bother with a baby bath. I know others love them, but not for me!

I agre with the PP's: a baby bath is well worth it. Adding just enough water to fill a big bath to 10cm just seemed so much more of a waste than the baby bath. In addition, a baby bath can be placed on a table so that the bath is at a good height- no bending over on your knees with a slippery newborn! I even used a bath support in it as he was really little!

We initially only bathed DS every second day as he was prone to eczema and the warm water actually made him drier, despite adding QV bath oil.

Totally agree, i bought mine from big w for $10 just a few weeks ago, also bought one of those towel support things from babies r us for about $25 and just pop that in it while shes so small
We just use our big bath. I think you can buy a 'bath dam' thing so you're not filling the full length of the bath. Our bub gets a bath twice a week. We are on tank water so simply don't have the capacity to bathe him every day. I have a bad back and physically can't cope with the pain of doing it on a daily basis. When our water is delivered in, it contains chlorine, which gives my baby nasty dry skin and red rashes (as it does to me). There are plenty of reasons to not bathe your child every day.
I used a baby bath with my first son as we didn't have a bath tub at all. Water was always everywhere! It was so much work to clean up afterwards. We moved to a house with a bath lol.
I agree with your DP on this one, there's no need to bath your baby too often, they're not doing anything in order to be dirty. Just make sure their bottom and bits is cleaned well when you change their nappy.
Your baby wont be in the tub while you run the water so you'll be able to get the perfect temperature before you even undress them.
As the others have said, the baths aren't that expensive, so if you want one go get one!
We have a baby bath but only used it for a couple of weeks. The supports are great to use IN the baby bath as you have one hand free to grab soap, etc as you need it. They are such a pain to cart around the house with water in it, thats why we stopped using baby bath and DS started having big baths with his Daddy instead. If you could get one with a stand and hoses like ive seen then that would certainly make it easier, but also more expensive!

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/YYXfp13.png

I agree with your dp - not worth it. Our babies just came in the shower with one of us a few times a week and then at other times just a wipe over their body with a warm wash cloth was enough. Apart from that they get too big for them very quickly and then you wonder why you bothered getting it.
I found my ds out grew his baby bath in a matter of weeks he would kick off with his legs and bump his head, I found it quicker and easyier showering him with dp or myself and ds loves the shower. I think with your first bub you can easily buy stuff thats not really a necesity and accumilate alot of junk you dont really need.
I found the kitchen sink was really good when I had a bad back once. Even if you have separate taps you can still adjust the water to the right temperature, I don't see why not.
No bending, no lifting.
Try showering your baby too. DD loved to be held under the shower, she was 2 weels old when we first tried it. DH would get into the shower and once the bathroom is warm and steamy, i would bring her in. I helped DH a little at first but then he got the hang of it. Then I take DD off him and he finishes his shower. It's great skin to skin contact and DH enjoys it so much, we actually still shower her like this, but she also had her own baths/showers, whatever is convenient at the time. Sometimes I get into the shower instead of DH. My midwife told me that showering newborns gets them used to running water and they don't end up being too scared of it later on.

I would get a bath as well anyway (we have one), incase you're alone at home and need to bath baby. And with the bath get the "L" shaped sit up thing for them, I would try it out in the shop before buying the 2, to make sure they fit nicely together. They both are inexpensive. Our old house didn't have a mixed tap in the sink, so I used to mix the water in the bath, cold water goes in first then hot water. And when you're bathing bub, keep a wet cloth on their tummy so they don't go cold smile Hope this helps smile
Sign in to follow this topic