Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. Wetting through nappy, suit & bed

Wetting through nappy, suit & bed Lock Rss

I have tried everything, but most nights/early morning I am ending up having to change my DS's suit, wrap and sometimes even bedding. He sleeps a bit longer at night than during the day (usually 3.5 ~ 4.5 hours at night)
1. His little penis in downwards
2. I am folding out all the flaps & seals
3. I have tried changing nappy sizes and doubling up
(newborn, next size up and a combination of the 2)
Has anyone got any idea what else I can do to stop him wetting through (short of having to wake him and me up for extra changes during the night)
I have the exact same problem! We have had it all DD's life and she is now 10 months old. So basically now, I use the right sized nappies for her but also use a MCN over the top. This was anything that soaks through the nappy will be caught in the MCN. I know how annoying it is changing everything throughout the night!

HTH smile
What brand of nappies are you using out of interest?

I had the same problem, till I discovered the most simple solution. Although it was my DD I was having dramas with.

All I did was got a terry towelling nappy and cut it in half, then just folded it the whole length of the nappy to give heaps of extra absorbancy. Just make sure that none of the terry towelling is hanging out of the nappy otherwise leakage will happen.

HTH
'E_Jw': Sorry but I'm new to these forums. What does MCN stand for?
***Incidentally, is there a glossary of forum abbreviations?***

Anirtak: I am using huggies, but someone gave me some newborn Babini brand ones which look bigger than the huggies newborns. I'll try that over the top of the huggies newborns tonight.They look way too thin to try by themselves.

*JRTMED*: Can you explain what exactly you did with the half towelling nappy? Did you roll it and stuff it down the front of a larger size nappy?

'E_Jw': Sorry but I'm new to these forums. What does MCN stand for?
***Incidentally, is there a glossary of forum abbreviations?***

Anirtak: I am using huggies, but someone gave me some newborn Babini brand ones which look bigger than the huggies newborns. I'll try that over the top of the huggies newborns tonight.They look way too thin to try by themselves.

*JRTMED*: Can you explain what exactly you did with the half towelling nappy? Did you roll it and stuff it down the front of a larger size nappy?

MCN stands for modern cloth nappy.

Will the terry just fold it flat like the nappy. Hold the nappy flat open on the ground, lay the terry inside then pop bub on it. So the terry will almost look like it's part of the nappy.

Post in the morning and let me know if it helped.

Goodluck.
'*JRTMED*' Thanks for the explanation re the use of the nappy. I have only a few towelling nappies atm and all are being used as chuck cloths, change table liners, mobile change mats etc so can't really spare any but may have to buy some more. I also thought that since he's still so little I may be able to use a face washer or 2 instead (I have plenty of these) so will try that next time if all else fails.

Last night I used a Huggies newborn with a Bambini newborn (which is bigger but thinner) over the top. He slept about 5 hours and no wet suit! The bambini one didn't feel wet at all but I compared it's thickness to a fresh nappy and it seemed that it had absorbed some pee.

Anyway I think I'll try that again tonight and if it doesn't work, I'll give the nappy / face washer option a go.

Thanks for your ideas.
when my babies started wetting through their huggies nappies I started using the next nappy size up just for night sleeps. you have to do them up a bit tighter and make sure the tuck around the leg is good but the absorbancy level is good and no more leaks. makes resettling and feeding at night quicker and easier cos you don't have to consider a full nappy, unless of course there's a poo!

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

We have the same issue with our DS as well, we are also using huggies nappies and he is waking most nights with a wet suit and singlet which is rather annoying to have to change him during the night and totally wake him up.

when my babies started wetting through their huggies nappies I started using the next nappy size up just for night sleeps. you have to do them up a bit tighter and make sure the tuck around the leg is good but the absorbancy level is good and no more leaks. makes resettling and feeding at night quicker and easier cos you don't have to consider a full nappy, unless of course there's a poo!

Thanks, I'm glad it worked for you, but I did already try using the next size up huggies but had no luck.
Perhaps he was too small so even with the tight leg fitting it wasnt enough.
Anyway the newborn Huggies with the bigger thinner new born Bambinis over the top has been working for me, so I guess I'll stick with that until he's big enough to move up to the next size which has specific designs for the boys & girls.

Thanks to you all and I hope than this has also been useful for you Lainey83.
Sign in to follow this topic