Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. Breastmilk and conjunctivitis

Breastmilk and conjunctivitis Rss

My friends sister was told that if your baby has conjunctivitis squirt breastmilk in their eyes and it clears it up. Another friend was reading a baby book and it recommended that you put breast milk in ears when they're infected and you can also put it up their nose if they have a runny nose/cold.
Has anyone else heard of this and does it actually work?

Jodi, W.A., Nathan , Zachary and Summer

Haven't heard of this before, but makes sense I suppose, as breastmilk has lots of good stuff in it.... smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

Hi,

Yes, i have heard of this, but i cant tell you if it actually works as i was unable to breast feed (lack of milk production) even though i did try.

I was told it is suppose to heal alot of things with bubs, and when i went to the chemist to get some drops for when my daughter had it the pharmacist had also told me about the breastmilk theory.

Apparently you put some on the eye area and wipe from the inner eye across with a cotton ball using a new cotton ball for each wipe.

And if for some reason you are unable to use breastmilk like in my situation, my doctor suggested camoline tea, have the teabag soaking in the cooled down boiled water and then you dip the cotton ball in it, and do the same, wipe from the inner eye across, using a clean cotton ball each time.
Hope ive helped.
Sherrie and baby Maddisyn 09/09/04
Breatmilk has heaps of uses. It is antibacterial which makes it great for things like cracked nipples, conjustivitis and so on. Just squirt a little where needed and it works a treat.
As for camimile (sp), it is also fantastic. We use it for nappy rash, as suggested above, we put an organic tea bag in boiling water and then store the tea. Make it weak though.
Lavender has many many uses also but I wouldnt recommend it for babies and definatly not ever undiluted unless recommended by someone in the know.
hi it does work. My daughter had sticky eye as they call it when she was a few weeks old and i put some breast milk in her eye and it cleared it up. You should continue to do it for a few days even if it looks to have cleared just to make sure it has gone. I actually had to express into a bottle for my neighbour as she had it really bad and she reports to me that it worked wonders, better than any prescription she used.

Tammie Qld girl 2.2.05, boy 30.5.06

I know that this may sound gross and I've never actually tried it, but I've heard that wiping a little urine (baby urine) under the eyes will help with sticky eyes.

Anyone game to try??

Laneisa, QLD, 5 kids + baby Flynn 24/02/05

it works with the eyes as i have tried it.have heard good for nappy rash but yet to try that one.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

The breastmilk works. My daughter had sticky eye when she was only a week old. I squirted some breastmilk in her eyes and it cleared up pretty much straight away. She's now 5 weeks and her eyes are still clear.
Sign in to follow this topic