Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. Trust your parental instinct

Trust your parental instinct Lock Rss

I have a 8wk old baby boy and have just found out he is lactose intolerent before this my husband and I would pull our hair out trying to settle him, he was always in pain and would cry constantly even when held and cuddled nothing would settle him. We thought he was just a colicky or reflux baby but if it wasn't for me trusting my instinct and a great child health nurse my poor lil man would still be in alot of pain he has been on Lactose free formula now for a week and it is starting to work through his little system, just wondering if anyone else has this in a young baby.

Kate, 4yr old girl, 2yr old boy &2 week old Caleb

Hi Kate

Yes, it is often mum who really does know best isn't it??!!

Did you get the diagnosis from a stool sample, or did you just change over to Lactose free formula?

I only ask, because cow's milk protein allergy is often misdiagnosed as lactose intolerance. My own son was 'diagnosed' as such and it was only my own reading that alerted me to the fact that the doctor was wrong!! He could tolerate lactose fine! [this is the sugar in milk] but could not tolerate cow's milk protein [and it is in EVERYTHING these days!] until he was about 3 yrs of age.

Lactose intolerance is a VERY rare thing to be born with - I think about 0.1% or something like that! and it means the bub will be very ill and loosing wt in the early weeks.

I suppose I am no help to you at all am I??! tongue but I suppose I am just curious, because of our situation!!
smile
hi, my baby girl had exactly the same thing, we couldnt settle her she cried and after we tried zantac and other acid relief things she stopped drinking her bottles, it got so bad one night we took her to the hospital but they didnt do a damn thing, so i tried her on soy milk and she improved straight away!
Maybe it could be a lactose thing, i should ask my doc to do some tests, what sort of tests do they do?

Mum to Taniesha & Braydon born on the 8th June 05

Sign in to follow this topic