Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. How to get her to stop pulling her hair???

How to get her to stop pulling her hair??? Rss

Hi everyone,
My name is Leanne and i have a 3 week old daughter who was born with a beautiful full head of hair....
The only problem is that she has also realised this and has learnt how to grab onto it and pull REALLY hard! She doesnt seem to realise its her doing the pulling and she SCREAMS!
At first it is funny and we all have a little giggle, then one of us has to try to figure out how to get her to let go!
I think it scares the hell out of poor little Talana too...
We have tried putting little mittens on her but have found that she somehow manages to pull them off.
Is there anyone out there who has this strange problem too?
I know that she is still learning what everything is so hopefully it will stop soon, but it seems to stress her out and that stresses me out too.

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

HI. Have you tried putting a hat on her? I suppose it's too hot over there for a beanie hat or something similar. Or if her hair is long enough try and tie it back.
Other wise I'm not to sure. Good luck

Kerrie

Kerrie,NZ,

Hi,
Thankyou for your advice!
We have realised that she only pulls her hair when she wants attention or is stressed out, so we have been trying to make sure she is fast asleep before we put her down to bed, apart from that we cant see another way to stop her from doing it!

Leanne,
Just a bit of warning about making sure she is fast asleep when you put her down. Don't get her into the habit. We used to do that with our son and until he was about 2 years old he wouldn't go to sleep without someone there or being able to see us through the doorway. We now have a doughter who is 9weeks old and from day 1 I put her down in her cot before she was asleep so that she would learn to go to sleep herself. Best thing I'd ever done.

Just be careful you don't create a habit that you will have to keep up for a while.

Andrae,WA - Liam, Siobhan and Erin

Thankyou for your advice andii81!

I was worried about her getting used to being held all the time to go to sleep as i definatley do not want to start her on the habit of needing to be held to go to sleep.

Over the last couple of nights i have made sure that when i put her to bed, the room is in complete darkness and both myself and my Fiance are a little quiter around the house so if she does wake up, she will soon settle down again.

We have also invested in a dummy (i wasn't too keen on geting her into that habit either!) but it not only puts her back to sleep it seems to keep her more settled and she doesn't get as overtired or worked up as she used too.

No-one else i have spoken to has had the same pulling of the hair problem as we have, so its a little hard to find out how to stop it, maybe we cant?

Some babies suck their thumbs, our baby just pulls her hair!

Hi

I also have a 7 week old who pulls his hair. As with you it was funny at the start but like you daughter he did not realise why he was in pain and was screaming beacuse it hurt. My solution was that it occured when he was getting tired and that when he pulled his hair he could not work out how to let go. I tried putting him to sleep before he got to tired but that did not always work so I invested in some very light weight mittens and BONDS grow suits with the built in mittens and covered his hands after he had played for a while and was close to sleep time.
As for the holding to go to sleep, it is encouraged to do this with newborns as it is a comfort for them and promotes bonding. I do cuddle my son to sleep sometimes if he is really upset or distressed, usually wrapping tightly and putting him in his cot with the radio on (he hates the silence) works but I think that if a baby needs a cuddle to go to sleep they deserve it, they are only babies for such a short time and if it is not every sleep just when the are too upset to settle themselves them what is the problem. I did it with my 4yr old and had no trouble getting her off to bed by herself.

Hope this helps

Michelle - Mum to Bridgett (4yrs) & William (7Wks)

Sign in to follow this topic