Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Nappy Rash Lock Rss

Hi,

I have a 4 week old baby girl and she recently developed a nappy rash. Around her bottom it is really red and especially today she hasn't been able to sleep well. Usually she sleeps well during the day and night (as in for at least 3 hours), but today she's been sleeping for maximum 1/2 hr.

I have tried an ointment called bepanthen, but I don't know if this is good. Has anyone used this ointment? Does it really work?

My mum suggested I use baby powder, but a midwife at the hospital told me not to use it as it makes it worse or something.

Can anyone suggest to me what I should do?

Is there any fast treatment?

Also, when you change the nappy, does everyone wipe their baby with a wet cotton pad? My baby produces wet and dirty nappies so often during the day. I'm wondering if me wiping her bottom so many times during the day is making it worse, but I have no idea how else I can clean her up.

Could anyone help me here??
Hiya, I haven't heard of bepanthen but when my kids have had bad nappy rash I use Daktozin (from the chemist) it usually clears it up within a day or two. It can be quite painful for them, it can weep and even bleed. My chemist has also given me a mild cortisone cream to use only when it's really bad. When mine are very young I don't use the commercial wipes so much, especially when they're already sore. I use flannels, damp and add a little sorbelene cream (can get it from supermarket) and gently clean them with that, followed by lots of cream. Baby powder isn't recommended these days (especially for girls groin area) as it can be an irritant and can travel to the ovaries over time, causing other problems. In fact I've never used ANY powder on my kids (both girls) until recently I discovered cornstarch powder (recommended on this site) it's a natural powder by the same ppl who make baby powder (can get it at chemist) but I've only started using it because it smell nice, not because I think they need it.
Lots of people have recommended Daktozin.
Hope this helps.

Dizie, 2 girls, 2002 & 2003

I have (and still do) use Bepanthen. It is great as it forms a layer to protect the area and you can see that it is still working when you next change the nappy. But Dizie mentioned the other one and I know my cousin uses this and said it is fantastic (her DD has exma too and she said it really helps(???)).

In the Robin Baker Baby Love book, she said not to use wipes for just a wet nappy but use a tissue to dry the area to prevent nappy rash. The wipes leave the bum wet and then you are sealing the wet in again when putting the nappy back on. I didn't know this till I read the book and I have saved HEAPS of money on wipes as they are bl00dy expensive but a box of tissues is $2! Works for me as DD has only had nappy rash twice - when she cut teeth - but who knows, maybe DD is just damn lucky I change her nappy 10-15 times a day! Huggies would be lov'n me!

Hi,

i took scarlett to a doctor about her nappy rash ... nothing was working for her. He said to bathe her in salt water every day and apply an anti fungal cream from chemist.

ive got Hydrozole a saw a enormous difference in 2 days the puffiness/blisters/redness were going down and by the 4th day completely gone.

As for wiping/changing her bottom, I use wet wipes cheap brand it doesnt make a difference with scarlett who needs to be changed ever 2 hours! You might have to put a cream on her after changing and rash is gone to help prevent it.

Scarlett 4 - Hazellyn 1 - Blake born 29.07.09

I used zinc and caster oil cream it was great!
But she might have thrush If it's pretty bad might pay to get it check When my girl was 6 weeks she got a nasty rash and turned out to be thrush so you never know! Hope it's getting better!
Karen.

Karen,NZ, 5 yr old girl & 2 yr old boy

Sign in to follow this topic