Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Swine Flu Vaccine and breastfeeding Rss

Hi all,

I have a 7 week old baby girl and was wondering if anyone has heard if its safe to have the Swine Flu Vaccine if you are breastfeeding?

I'm not sure if I should call my paed or my OB to ask! But.. I'm sure neither would know anyways because nobody probably knows!!!

I wasn't sure where to post this question, what is everyone elses thoughts???

Thanks!
From the CDC - Centre for Disease Control

Is it okay to take medicine to treat or prevent 2009 H1N1 flu while breastfeeding?

Yes. Mothers who are breastfeeding and taking medicine to treat flu because they are sick should express their breast milk for bottle feedings, which can be given to your baby by someone who is not sick. Mothers who are breastfeeding and are taking medicines to prevent the flu because they have been exposed to the virus should continue to feed their baby at the breast as long as they do not have symptoms of the flu such as fever, cough, or sore throat.

Regards,

AJ
Hi,

I'm not sure they've worked this out...though they claim it is 'safe' in pregnancy so who knows. Personally even if I hadn't been bf or been pregnant I wouldn't be lining up to have the swine flu vaccine as safety 'testing' for all vaccines is a bit dodgy. They are not recommending the vaccine for those under 10 years old, because they say they haven't worked out dosing yet not because it isn't 'safe'(not sure I buy that myself)so if it were me I would be saying NO to the vaccine...but it isn't. LOL

It's like any drug, you need to weigh up the risks and benefits and make an educated guess at which way to go. The problem I have is that there are no long term studies of any vaccine for safety and look at things like thalidomide; that was deemed 'safe' in pregnancy and we know how that turned out. The sad thing is that the only way to test for safety is to expose mums and babies to the vaccine and watch what happens....but this can result in 'collateral damage' for the ones who are used as the 'test' subjects.

Helped or confused you some more? LOL

Sign in to follow this topic