Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Transition from 2 sleeps to 1. Lock Rss

Just want to know if anyone has any advice on transitioning my toddler (13 month old) from 2 sleeps to 1. She was sleeping 1.5 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. Now i put her down for her 1 sleep and she's very tired but will only sleep for 1 hour. She won't let me re-settle her. She's tired by the end of the day but copes ok and is sleeping through the night most nights. Will she eveuntually work up for sleeping longer or should i try harder to re-settle her to get her to sleep longer??

Soph''sMum

Just want to know if anyone has any advice on transitioning my toddler (13 month old) from 2 sleeps to 1. She was sleeping 1.5 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. Now i put her down for her 1 sleep and she's very tired but will only sleep for 1 hour. She won't let me re-settle her. She's tired by the end of the day but copes ok and is sleeping through the night most nights. Will she eveuntually work up for sleeping longer or should i try harder to re-settle her to get her to sleep longer??

What time are you putting her to bed? My DS was doing 2 sleeps at 10.00 and again at 2pm, then when we changed to 1 sleep, we made it 11am. He varied from 1-3 hours asleep, if it was 1 hour and he was sleeping in the pm, I would just put him back for another nap for and hour in the afternoon, waking him up after an hour so as to not ruin the night sleep
Putting her to bed about 11.30-12. I don't want to confuse her by giving her 2 sleeps one day and only 1 the next etc. Has this led to problems for you??

Soph''sMum

Hi,
My DS2 went from 2 sleeps to 1 at 12mths. He started going down at 10am (I just couldn't keep him awake any longer) but he would sleep for 3hours. Then I started to push him closer to 11 and now (19mths) he goes down at 11:30 and I let him sleep until 2pm. If he wakes up and wont re-settle then thats it, he's awake and I put up with the grumpy toddler in the afternoon because he is horrible going to bed at night if he sleeps any later than 2.

Once I made the switch from 2 to 1 sleep I stuck with it because I wanted him to get into the routine and not drop back into having 2 sleeps, even if it meant bedtime was a bit early.
dS now 14months has just moved to 1 sleep. i go with the flow, if he;s tires he gets 2 sleeps. if hes ok, 1 sleep is enough but then he usually gets very tired by 6pm.

after about 2-3 weeks of going with the flow, i stated pushing his morning nap from 9.30 am to 10 to 11. he now sleeps 11.30 to 1.30-2pm

Hi there,
My daughter didn't consistently start having only 1 sleep per day until she was about 14 months.

During the transition we found that if she slept for more than 2hrs for her first nap (around 11am) then she wouldn't have another sleep, but if it was less than 2 hours, we'd put her down again approx 3-3.5 hrs after she woke up and this always worked a treat.(But don't let them sleep past 4.30 if you want them in bed by 7pm). Anyway, we found that this golden time of '2hrs' worked perfectly. E.g. if DD slept for less than this she would have a 2nd nap.

Also, after she moved to 1 nap only, we did go through a rough few weeks where sometimes she would only sleep for 45 minutes. But we perservered (she gets up around 6.30am and naps around 11.30am) and now she is sleeping for around 1.5-2hrs again.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck
Emma

Sign in to follow this topic