Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Baby hates the car Rss

Every weekend we have to drive 3 hours each way to our farm and my 5 month old just hates it. Occasionally he will sleep but usually he screams most of the way. It is even worse if we have to get him out to feed him (or us), putting him back into the seat is difficult and then the screaming wont stop till we get home.
It makes me feel like crying too. Surely it can't be doing him any good to be just left to scream like that.
Does any one have any ideas about what to do about it?

Every weekend we have to drive 3 hours each way to our farm and my 5 month old just hates it. Occasionally he will sleep but usually he screams most of the way. It is even worse if we have to get him out to feed him (or us), putting him back into the seat is difficult and then the screaming wont stop till we get home.
It makes me feel like crying too. Surely it can't be doing him any good to be just left to scream like that.
Does any one have any ideas about what to do about it?

try planning your drive at a time where he is supposed to have a nap anyway, maybe he will go to sleep? we often drive late at night, for that reason, also dvdplayers are fantastic, but he might be to young for that
Could it be he is uncomfortable or hot etc? Maybe darker window shades, a stimulating toy(s). A portable DVD player is a good idea, the Baby Einstein DVDs are great and age appropriate.

Is he rear-facing still? If so try a mirror so you can see each other or sit in the back with him. Depending on his weight, head control etc he may not be far off being able to have the seat turned around and that generally makes them a lot happier. Best to check with your health nurse - they can advise you a bit more on when he is ready to be turned around.

My nephew can be a real handful in the car too so your definitely not alone. Some kids just dont want to be restrained.

Good luck, hope you find something that works.
Do you stay the night at the farm? As pp suggested, maybe it would be better to rejig so that you are travelling in the evening - when you would normally put him down to bed - and then put him straight down when you get there - say on Friday night. Not sure if this is possible??

A 3hr journey is a very long trip for an adult, let alone a baby. Is the farm very remote? Just wondering if there are any other options like a train so that you can at least get up for a walk and hold your baby while you travel. It would be pretty hard for a baby to be sat there for that long. Its hard on you if you have no other option.
How important is it to stop and feed bub? You're only prolonging the trip by stopping. As other PP suggest, feed first and immediately get into the car.

Ensure his favourite toys (especially noisy ones) are in the car seat, have a mirror on the headrest or his cot mobile (if you have one). During long trips we played classical music. It might put the driver to sleep but at least it calmed bub down.

Hope you find a new solution for a quiet drive soon.
Music, music, music! Use a nursery rhyme cd or similar every time you go in the car. It will annoy the crap out of you for a while but I swear- bubs will LOVE it.
Is there any chance you can sit part way in the back with him? And like above poster said put kids music on smile I'm assuming when you do shorter trips he's ok?

Thankyou all for the excellent suggestions. We are now trying to travel during sleepy times which seems to help. He has some noisy toys to play with as well but i think we will have to invest in a dvd player. smile
My son hated the car so much he screamed from the moment i put him in his seat to the moment i took him out... I tried everything and nothing worked. It wasn't until my son learnt to self settle did the problem resolve itself. Its tough but know that eventually it will pass.

Sign in to follow this topic