Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Whooping cough vaccination Rss

Does anyone know whether it is still free for mumswith newborns to get the whooping cough vaccination? I went to the GP today and she told me i need to buy it from the chemist and her nurse will do the injection for me. But i thought it was free for new mums? has this changed? How much is it? Can i claim it back from Medicare? Thanks
Just signed the consent for today to have the whooping couch needle before I leave the hospital with bub. Medicare paid as I will be a public patient. Community health also do it for free, depending where you are.

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

Thanks.

I am in Melbourne. Any Melbournians here know? I was told by friends its free.....
Hi I live in Melbourne and as far as I'm aware you now have to pay for it. My dh and I got it free last year when I had dd2. There was a story on the news last night about a newborn suffering from whooping cough and the parents were upset that the govt stopped subsidising the vaccine for the parents of newborn babies. My dad and inlaws had to pay for it last year.

WA its free for any family member in regular contact with a newborn.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/immunisation/index...

The link above is for bux health department on immunisation.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

DP and i had to pay full price after having DD. In SA. Even with a health care card at the time.
I think boosters need to be free or low cost for parents, grandparents and siblings as a bare minimum.

Do ya reckon you can claim it on private health?

I got mine just before i left the hospital last yr after having DD2 and when i had DS in Oct the midwives asked if i had already had it..if i hadnt they were going to give me it. I'm in NSW so not sure how that differs from Vic.
I had ds at St Vincents Private 11/2011 and I had to have it before I left the hospital and it was free (I don't know if that's because it came under part of my private health insurance though).
Free in Qld. My gp even has all the posters up advertising it as free for ALL immediate family of a newborn or expectant mum
Tommy1986 wrote:
Free in Qld. My gp even has all the posters up advertising it as free for ALL immediate family of a newborn or expectant mum

Wow, DH and mum and dad had to pay for theirs?

In melbourne speak to your maternal health nurse and the do it for free
Sign in to follow this topic