Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Low iron levels Lock Rss

Have you tired changing the tablets to a natural one? Sometimes your body absorbs the iron better if its from a more natural source. Also the dosage is lower in a natural tablet and you can there fore take more depending on how you feel. I would talk to your doctor about trying a natural tablet and maybe look at how your body absorbs the iron.
ProudToBeAMummy wrote:
Mara_Louise_Johnson wrote:
Have you tired changing the tablets to a natural one? Sometimes your body absorbs the iron better if its from a more natural source. Also the dosage is lower in a natural tablet and you can there fore take more depending on how you feel. I would talk to your doctor about trying a natural tablet and maybe look at how your body absorbs the iron.
Ohk thanks, I will look into that. I have just been on so many and I dont think any or them were natural. I just want my thick hair back.

Fair enough! I would want nice thick hair too. Sometimes its just how our body processes it that can cause problems and with you having already taken so many different prescribed tablets it may be time to look else where.

Good luck!
Hey there, you are not alone. I too have low iron levels and have had this since my first pregnancy last year. I've been on Ferrotab ever since and it doesn't seem to make a difference. in fact, my doc the other week said to increase the dosage.
I didn't suffer from hair loss during pregnancy but about 3 months after birth I started losing hair (which I'm told is normal) and it didn't stop until about 8 months post birth. But then I fell pregnant again when DS was 9 mths old and I am now 5 weeks away from giving birth. My iron levels have not improved and like you, I am eating as much iron rich foods as I can. My hair looks ok now while I'm pregnant but I'm dreading the loss that will come after birth as I don't have thick hair to begin with.
What iron tablets are you taking? Someone told me that liquid iron might be better absorbed but when I asked my doc she didn't think that was the case and seemed to think all iron supplements are more or less the same.
Hi there

Just wondering if you are also having a lot of vitamin c in your diet? Lack of vitamin c can stop your body from absorbing the iron. So no matter how much iron rich foods and supplements you have, if your lacking in vit c, they wont do anything. I got told to take iron tablets with a glass of oj - I can't drink it as it causes my reflux to play up - so I take it with cranberry juice. I also try to eat a lot of food that contains vitamin c as well.

Cheers
Andreandfiona wrote:
Hi there Just wondering if you are also having a lot of vitamin c in your diet? Lack of vitamin c can stop your body from absorbing the iron. I got told to take iron tablets with a glass of oj

I do this too but was only recently made aware of the importance of doing this. In fact, i'm also eating strawberries like they're going out of fashion - lucky they are in season at the moment. Will see what the results of my next blood test will show.
I was using Floradix and was then told when my levels where still too low by my MW that the liquid supplements only have about 5mg of Iron total. She then also said we need about 65mg a day and to eat as much Vit C as possible. I would say taking Vit C tablets would be a good idea if you cant have oranges and such due to breastfeeding. Other fruits high in Vit C are most of your citrus so Kiwifruit (starting to reduce in price) lemons, limes, tangellos, mandirines.

I was also told it was a really good idea to have my Iron tablets with kiwifruit as the kiwifruit has Vit C but also helps with regular movements.
Sign in to follow this topic