Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Newborns & New Dads
  5. Does anyone else have an issue with cats around their Baby?

Does anyone else have an issue with cats around their Baby? Rss

Hi Everyone,
I'm not sure if its just me, but i really cant stand cats being anywhere near me let alone near my 7week old.
My MIL has a cat and its hair goes everywhere. I have told them they can either pick up the cat or the baby and if they have touched the cat to wash their hands before going near my baby. ill dont like them holding her.
If we are in Her house i try to lock the cat outside so it stays away. and then if we are having a bbq out the back i try to get the cat inside.
She seems to think that there is no problem but i have heard of kiddies getting quite ill from a bacteria carried by cats.
I don't think your child can get sick from touching cats unless the cat has cat flu which is pretty obvious symptoms (the cat will have weepy eyes, stuffy nose, normal flu like symptoms).
It is their poo that has the bacteria (Toxoplasmosis). As long as you keep away from cat litter and make sure everyone who has been handling it washes their hands thoroughly there shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously you are just not a cat person, which is absolutely fine, maybe just scold the cat for coming near you, it will learn fast and probably already knows you don't like cats. The hair can be a problem as it causes allergies so if the cat is long haired or shedding ask your MIL to brush it before you come over so there is less hair

Other than that theres not a lot to do to avoid cats they have self oriented personalities and will do as they please! So get everyone on board with locking the cat out from where you are.
I feel exactley the same as you hun,stick to your guns,not only the fact that you dont know what the cat is carrying but ive heard of cats suffocating babys i cant stand cats LOL
im the same cats suffocate babies because they like to cuddle up to something really warm, i know the bacteria in their poo is very bad for pregnant women as a friend had a miscarriage from cleaning a litter tray. i have a neihbours cat that just walks into my house once it went straight into my newborn sons room and it is one of those needy breeds siamese i think freaked me out...if it goes onto bub while they are sleeping and bub isnt strong enough to push it off them then thats when its dangerous, iv explained all these things to my MIL and she keeps the cat flap locked when my DSs stay the night and her cat isnt even a people person but we just wont take the risk...
Hi,

I have 2 DD's and 2 cats. We've never had a problem with the cats sleeping in with the kids. We taught them that they are not allowed to be in the kids beroom whilst they are sleeping. The cat litter is in our laundry and we put in a cat door so we don't have to worry about the girls getting in to it.

The only thing we have had a problem with is DD1. DD1 used to get a little rough with the cats and as a result she got scratched. But she was ok and both her and the cats have learned some boundaries.

I think that pets are great. DD1 loves her cats and loves feeding them. DD2 thinks they are very interesting and loves attempting to give them pats.

I say this, but if you are uncomfortable having cats around your children then that needs to be respected. I feel the way you do about dogs! I'm always terrified that someone's dog is going to maul my kids. I find most dog owners, in my area, irresponsible. We have dogs running around everywhere with no owners to be found! It's ok for you to feel like that about cats and it sounds like your family respects your feelings about cats near your child. I think it's great that you have stuck to your guns on this issue.

Hi,

I have 2 DD's and 2 cats. We've never had a problem with the cats sleeping in with the kids. We taught them that they are not allowed to be in the kids beroom whilst they are sleeping. The cat litter is in our laundry and we put in a cat door so we don't have to worry about the girls getting in to it.

The only thing we have had a problem with is DD1. DD1 used to get a little rough with the cats and as a result she got scratched. But she was ok and both her and the cats have learned some boundaries.

I think that pets are great. DD1 loves her cats and loves feeding them. DD2 thinks they are very interesting and loves attempting to give them pats.

I say this, but if you are uncomfortable having cats around your children then that needs to be respected. I feel the way you do about dogs! I'm always terrified that someone's dog is going to maul my kids. I find most dog owners, in my area, irresponsible. We have dogs running around everywhere with no owners to be found! It's ok for you to feel like that about cats and it sounds like your family respects your feelings about cats near your child. I think it's great that you have stuck to your guns on this issue.

I love dogs but the same in my area people dont have them on leads when walking some are breeds that should have the mouth cover on them (sorry preggo brain) some leave open their gates so they can wonder around i went out to the car one night and ened up trapped in it for an hour while three dogs barked at me from the outside, and i live in an area that is brand new and family friendly with warning signs watch out for our children please! yet we have dogs running around everywhere without an owner in tow it just an accident waiting to happen..

I love dogs but the same in my area people dont have them on leads when walking some are breeds that should have the mouth cover on them (sorry preggo brain) some leave open their gates so they can wonder around i went out to the car one night and ened up trapped in it for an hour while three dogs barked at me from the outside, and i live in an area that is brand new and family friendly with warning signs watch out for our children please! yet we have dogs running around everywhere without an owner in tow it just an accident waiting to happen..

You should get the council involved, as sad as it sounds the owners are obviously not caring that their dog could get run over, bite someone or run away so it probably wouldnt matter if they got taken to the pound for the night!
Yep im the same, i don't like cats around my ds..
Inlaws have a cat and i told them the same thing lol

You should get the council involved, as sad as it sounds the owners are obviously not caring that their dog could get run over, bite someone or run away so it probably wouldnt matter if they got taken to the pound for the night!

i hadnt even thought about that, i shall give it a go now that its summer they will all be out again... =)
Cats and babies mix fine.

Cats can get sick from humans but humans can't get sick from cats. When myDS1 was in intensive care at the Childrens hospital with Bronchiolitis at 4 months of age, the consultant was pleased we had cats. There are studies that show that it helps their immune systems especially in asthma prone children (bronchiolitis is often a precursor).

People give strange advice about cats when you have cats and are pregnant. It made me research alot. There are no reported baby deaths due to cats EVER.

My cats did not even attempt to enter the babies domain until they were old enough to invite them in. DS1 sleeps with our guard (he's amazing - I feel safer with him watching over them) cat on a regular basis now.

In saying all of this though - I have the same rule when my babies are young. No doggy or cat handling when bubs is around.

Keep your rules but don't worry about the cats causing your baby harm, worry more about the other people - they are the germ carriers.

I'm more fearful of dogs to be honest, a cat scratch you can get over fast but when a dog bites it can be a real disaster...
Everyone says 'my dog wouldn't ever bite a kid' but in all honesty, all animals can have bad days too, and kids do like to push them to the limit. All it would take is to annoy them too much or poke, pull tail or ears one too many times sad

Hi Everyone,
I'm not sure if its just me, but i really cant stand cats being anywhere near me let alone near my 7week old.
My MIL has a cat and its hair goes everywhere. I have told them they can either pick up the cat or the baby and if they have touched the cat to wash their hands before going near my baby. ill dont like them holding her.
If we are in Her house i try to lock the cat outside so it stays away. and then if we are having a bbq out the back i try to get the cat inside.
She seems to think that there is no problem but i have heard of kiddies getting quite ill from a bacteria carried by cats.

YUCK i HATE cats!! I would never let one near my baby! I hate them being around ME!! lol. But im not sure if they can get sick from them as such? Pregnant women should avoid changeing kitty litter cos of the risk of Toxoplasmosis.

Sign in to follow this topic