Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Nuk Dummy Danger! Lock Rss

Sorry for the really long post, but i found this information at http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=103865&catId=100512&tid=100008&p=1
and thought that other mummy's might like to read it. I personally use these dummys as i like the fact that they dont have a big nobbly bit sticking off them, as my baby is a belly sleeper, and the ones with the knobs get knocked out of her mouth when she turns her head. I have to admit, I am a bit worried after reading this. But I am goin to continue to use them, but keep a really good eye on Ebony when she has it in her mouth. I cant wait for the new version with the improvements to come out though!

Dummy Danger

We've had three reports about the potential choking hazard of the NUK Starlight Silicone Soother

First alert
Kerry-Ann Parsons of Townsville told us that her six-month-old baby, Alexander, had got the whole dummy into his mouth while settling down to sleep, and was choking on it when she came back to check on him.
Second alert
Another baby, six-month-old Jonah Hedges, was discovered by his mother Gayle with the whole dummy in his mouth. She also reported the incident to CHOICE.
In response to the first incident, NUK said Alexander was at, or slightly over, the age recommended for the size one dummy he was using and advised that he use the next size up (size two - suitable for 6-18 month old babies).

Our test
We tested the dummy and compared the two sizes. We found:

the shield, which is the same size on both dummies, wasn't big enough, and
though the size two dummy has a larger teat, it's not enough to stop a baby from being able to fit the whole dummy into their mouth.
Third alert

After reading the CHOICE report about the NUK dummy, Jacqueline Nunan of Reservoir in Victoria bought her daughter Annika a size two version, even though at the time the baby was only four months old.

Recently, after Jacqueline had settled seven-month-old Annika in her cot and left the room, the baby managed to get the entire size two NUK dummy into her mouth. When she came back later to check on her, Jacqueline discovered her daughter had the dummy fully in her mouth. Though not actually choking Annika was clearly distressed - she had tears in her eyes and was making "muffled, bleating sounds".

The company's response
We contacted NUK for a response. The company stated that although it made every effort to make safe products, accidents couldn't be avoided in all situations. NUK advised parents to supervise babies when they were given a soother.

NUK also said a larger mouth-guard could still be accidentally taken into a baby's mouth, and that this would be harder to remove than a smaller one. NUK mentioned that a new model of the Starlight Silicone Soother with improved safety features would soon be available.

Finally, NUK re-stated that Starlight Silicone Soother complies with the European Standard EN1400, and that the Australian Standard is not mandatory and has only been reviewed once since its inception in 1981.

Our response
CHOICE thinks that the three incidents reported above are enough to show the NUK Starlight Silicone Soothere is unsafe. The Australian Standard has also shown that the dummy in question has failed one part of the test, revealing the shield of the Starlight Soother can enter the mouth.

Simply because the European standard is new is not enough reason to adopt it. In order for a standard to be reviewed, a number of steps must be undertaken, including examining whether a potential design flaw may have been missed in the European standard. We contacted Standards Australia, who said they're going to look into reviewing the current standard.

In light of all the above, we think the Australian standard for dummies should be mandatory. We advise parents to:

Buy a dummy that meets the standard (look for the logo on the packaging).
Get one with a large shield (though not so large it hurts your baby's nose or cheeks).
Make sure the ring sits away from the shield, rather than flush up against it, so it can be easily gripped to remove the dummy.
Don't leave babies unsupervised if they're unable to remove a dummy themselves.
About dummies
Some babies show a definite need for ‘non-nutritive’ sucking, and when restless or upset can be calmed by sucking on a dummy or ‘pacifier’ if they can’t or won’t suck their own fingers. Babies who need dummies when very young often drop them of their own accord as they become more independent, but some rely on them for years.

The choice of material is between rubber and silicone, ‘orthodontic’ or traditionally bell-shaped, and the same points apply. Safe designs have a shield with ventilation holes and a ring to prevent suffocation if the dummy is swallowed. The teat should be firmly attached to the shield with a leak-proof seal. There’s a safety standard for dummies – AS2432.1-1991 — but it’s not mandatory.

Dummies may seem harmless, but hardly a year goes by without at least one brand being recalled.

WOW thanks for posting this. i would've had no idea! i cant imagine walking in on my little man with his whole dummy in his mouth.

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Thanks so much for that amelia doesnt use nuk but my nephew does & my sister in law would love to no bout that as her son uses nuk dummies

Nicole

Sign in to follow this topic