Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Newborn Accessories & Equipment
  5. Is a changing table really necessary?

Is a changing table really necessary? Lock Rss

Hi there. Im pregnant with my second bub, and just wondering if its really necessary to get a changing table? With DS we just changed him on a change mat on the bed or floor or wherever, but it got really hard on our backs. Id like to get one this time (so we dont have to bend down, and the shelving would be handy as well) but our finances may not allow us to do so. And we dont know anyone we can borrow one from.

Hi there. Im pregnant with my second bub, and just wondering if its really necessary to get a changing table? With DS we just changed him on a change mat on the bed or floor or wherever, but it got really hard on our backs. Id like to get one this time (so we dont have to bend down, and the shelving would be handy as well) but our finances may not allow us to do so. And we dont know anyone we can borrow one from.

i got a change table/bath stand which was good for baths but honestly i find that the tables hurt my back adn found it much easier to change on the floor.

the bath stand with the change table was around $100 from target and while its a little pricey, its 2 things for the price of one IYKWIM

have u checked ebay and local garage sales?

OMG i would not of survived without a change table!!! of everything i brought that wasnt absolutely necessary that is my favourite ohh it saved my back and the shelving was great op shops might have some??? or there might be a buy sell place for your area on facebook??? Or in the paper??
Is it necessary?

No.

Is it a practical, helpful accessory?

YES!!

My parents bought us one of those changetables that convert into a bath - I think they picked it up on special from Target for $60.

Wait for the baby sales next month, you might get a bargain!
Yes otherwise it kills your back!

I picked one up 2nd hand for $50 and it has 3 drawers and shelves in it - was a fab buy and well worth it. DS still needs it so i am using Mum's one from her house for DD, i couldnt live without them. Also if im changing DS and it's not on a change table he tries to get away smile
Have you thought about buying one from ebay? I have bought heaps of baby stuff from ebay and they have been in excellent condition. Most of the things I have bought are 1/4 of the price brand new. I even bought a play mat in excellent condition for $0.99 You just need to be patient and set yourself a limit.
if you asked my back it would tell you 'yes!'
i wasnt going to get one..... till i ended up with a csection!

i didnt have one with my firstborn, but this time i LOVE it. i got the infa change table from kmart, has a bath in it and pull out shelves under it, its FANTASTIC and only 99 full price! i love it!

http://www.infa-secure.com.au/product_range/Change---Bath-Centres/66/Axcess-Change-Centre

this is them, just a different pattered vinyl! well worth it, and obviously below RRP... i know in the baby shop the EXACT same bath was heaps more than 99! i love mine and honestly, i am so glad i bought it!

I borrowed one for my DD but had to return it after just 5 or 6 months. It was good and had a bath in it, but you can't use the bath once bubs gets bigger anyway. When we didn't have one, I just used a change mat that I got for $14 from Big W - it's quick thick with foam and nice and soft. I had that on a our spare bed which was better than the floor. Am pregnant with #2 now and will probably use the same thing.

Alternatively, if you're wanting storage you could always put one of these thick change mats on top of a chest of drawers (obviously not too tall!) which you then still have once bubs is older.

Alternatively, if you're wanting storage you could always put one of these thick change mats on top of a chest of drawers (obviously not too tall!) which you then still have once bubs is older.

Haha, that is exactly what I was going to say! Except that what I have is a wooden tray that sits on top of the chest of drawers to hold the change mat, and then there is a section around the side to put in toiletries and things. Mine was purchased from the clearance section at Freedom, but if your partner is at all handy, get him to make one - it's literally just a tray the size of a changing mat, and then put two pieces of wood on the bottom side that are the same distance apart as the width of the drawers so that it can be held in place. Making one is a good idea so that you can be sure to get the exact right size - otherwise it can be a mission to get it to fit your drawers. When you stop using this as a changing table, you can use the tray for doing jigsaw puzzles in or something.

But yes, I absolutely couldn't manage without a change table - my back would kill me. It is already angry at having to carry around a 10 kilo baby all day. smile
I've never had one - to be honest I think they are dangerous once bubs gets older.

We've always used the bed in our babies bedrooms. The beds we got are a little higher than normal as they have 4 drawers underneath (2x2) and they have a bookshelf bedhead that I use to put the nappies and wipes on and then a change mat beside the pillow. No chance of bubby rolling off even if I have to leave the room for something smile

I just got the change mat from target $30 not the table havent got the room but to be with my other 2 i had a change table but in end changed baby on floor anyway its up to you if you think you will use it all time get one but if not just get the padded change mat

Sign in to follow this topic