Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

baby walker Rss

Just wondering if baby walkers are safe to use? what age are they made for? One of my friends put her 3.5month ds is in one. I thought this was way to young. Isn't the whole concept that walk in it????? Maybe I am just a sook but I really think this is to young my dd is 4 months and has just started rolling to her side I haven't even thought of a walker for her.

I personally don't like them as I think they are unsafe but maybe if you supervised the whole time they would be OK. I do not agree with putting a baby in one at theat age though, I would have thought their legs would need to be strong enough to support their weight. I wouldn't even consider it before 6 months, probably not til 9 months maybe??
I wouldn't be putting a baby in one at that age I just bought two new ones and mine are 7 months old they have the leg strength for it ds can even more his on the floor boards I think there unsafe in the instance of bein near steps and tumbling down them etc the ones I got are pretty good they love them when there over floor time I pop them in them for ten or minutes for a play with toys that are on the front
No walkers are bad bad bad for babies and their development.... not to mention they are unsafe and babies in them can move around the house to places they shouldn't be in postions they shouldn't be in.

putting babies on the floor is the best place for them to learn to roll and crawl, or in arms or a sling.

same goes for jolly jumpers, excersaucers and those bebo things that you have in auz.....

No walkers are bad bad bad for babies and their development.... not to mention they are unsafe and babies in them can move around the house to places they shouldn't be in postions they shouldn't be in.

putting babies on the floor is the best place for them to learn to roll and crawl, or in arms or a sling.

same goes for jolly jumpers, excersaucers and those bebo things that you have in auz.....

100% agree, they are bad, bad, bad. Babies who are put in walkers don't use the same muscles that you use when you stand and walk. I would never use one. Another issue is that because bub might be quite content being in upright position they get left in them way to long and don't get to develop their muscles through all the normal ways like crawling and rolling. If you are going to use them, then only use it for as long as you would if you were holding bub and assisting being up right and walking, which in reality is quite a short amount of time during the day. (Same goes for Jolly jumpers).
I have to agree with the last posts, they are terrible for babies development. If you use them when bubs is too young you can risk affecting their hips because they do t have the strength needed to hold themselves up and they sit in an unnatural walking position. As subzero said, best place for baby is on the floor where they can strengthen their muscles. I wouldn't waste your money smile
Could not have lived without ours. We have the Bright Starts Around We Go Activity Centre. It's a table that they walk around, so they can't go anywhere they shouldn't. Has really helped both of ours to start walking. Both have had reflux, 2nd quite bad. Walker was recommended by paed to help keep him upright. Stick them in there as soon as they can hold their head up well. With our you can take the seat off when they can stand & it's still fun for them. Just leave them on as long as they ate happy. I think some common sense needs to be used instead of discounting all walkers. Also, our 1st had dislocated hips when she was born & after that was fixed there was no problem putting her in there, so doesn't effect their hips. Try the Bright Starts one, it's great.

Could not have lived without ours. We have the Bright Starts Around We Go Activity Centre. It's a table that they walk around, so they can't go anywhere they shouldn't. Has really helped both of ours to start walking. Both have had reflux, 2nd quite bad. Walker was recommended by paed to help keep him upright. Stick them in there as soon as they can hold their head up well. With our you can take the seat off when they can stand & it's still fun for them. Just leave them on as long as they ate happy. I think some common sense needs to be used instead of discounting all walkers. Also, our 1st had dislocated hips when she was born & after that was fixed there was no problem putting her in there, so doesn't effect their hips. Try the Bright Starts one, it's great.

there is a difference to putting a baby who has very bad reflux in one to get a break from the crying..... to helping them find relief from pain of reflux..... but as soon as they can hold their head up is not a good idea as some babies can do this from day one and having that as a guide line could cause all sorts of problems.

I wouldn't be putting a perfectly happy healthy non reflux baby in on just for something to do.

My first has cyclic vommiting..... _ front pack and sling and then backpack and pram or arms...... but he still spend most of his time on the floor

my second had extreme reflux also but never would have put her into walker or anything also had a sling or arms and we walked miles in her carrycot pram.

my third thank goodness has so far shown no evidence of having reflux or anything..... and he is up on all fours rocking and trying to move those hands.
absolutely agree with subzero

another reason why they are bad and my main reason why I am totally against them, is they put pressure on the lower spine when it isn't ready. If they can't naturally be in that position, by forcing them you run great risk of long term damage. the damage is not seen until they are teenagers. I have not yet found a chiro who will support their use at all - in real life or cyberspace!! smile

Spines are not something to muck around with.....
Very eye opening guys!!!! I have only heard they were bad in the instance of falling down things..I never have sat my children in them for long at all ten mins top. But I think I will be not using them anymore Why do they put a product on the market if it's so unsafe?

Very eye opening guys!!!! I have only heard they were bad in the instance of falling down things..I never have sat my children in them for long at all ten mins top. But I think I will be not using them anymore Why do they put a product on the market if it's so unsafe?

because parents buy them so it makes the company money, they don't care if it damages babies, some people just don't care about babies, look at china and the whole milk thin.

they are a great money making thing and i must admit they look fantastic and inviting... but my kids have never ever been in a jolly jumper or walker..... they don't miss it.

I use a bouncer only if baby is awake and i take him in it into the bathroom so he can watch me have a shower.... other than that which happens about once or twice a week we don't use it.
I agree with the walkers being bad. I think if it's used to much the baby becomes dependent on it and doesn't build their muscles up. My mum put me in a walker and I apparently becam very lazy and dependent on it and didn't walk until I was 14 months old where as mum never put my brother or sister in one and they were walking by 9 months old. So we didn't buy one and I refuse to use one.
Sign in to follow this topic