Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Baby bjorn carriers Lock Rss

Hi,
I am wanting to hear from people who have used baby bjorn original baby carriers as to whether they are good or not. I do not want to use a sling, i did that with my last baby and would prefer a carrier this time around. So what did you think of them......also are they good to use with newborns? Thanks smile
I liked mine, had big newborns. They are really handsfree.
Hi, I have used a baby bjorn carrier for my first two boys and will be using it for my third (coming soon) I think they are fantastic. Very comfortable and easy to use. Most handy when I am out grocery shopping, or just taking a walk without wanting to use a pram.

I've had two big babies, so it didn't take long for my shoulders to start getting sore while carrying them around. But I just lifted up carrier with my hands to take the weight for a little while.
my first i used baby bjorn, i personally didn't like it as it felt too mechanical and not natural but that's just me.
second i tried a sling and i'm with you on that i wouldn't again.
so this time have done some researching and am going to spend the $$ on an ergo natural carrier (over $200 ouch) but with two young boys in tow it seems like the most comfortable, easiest, secure thying i can find.
I have an ergo and it's awesome bubs is 10months and I still carry him heaps. It has never hurt my back and is so easy to use. Our baby as a newborn would sleep for hours in it, I would have to wake him to feed. I really think that the ergo stopped him from getting over stimulated and we would go out heaps from 4days old. Everyone I know that has one loves it and I was recently chatting to a friend that had a bjorn and it hurt her back to much with a newborn so she got an ergo as she had seen how much I used it and she loves the ergo too.
Thought I'd add that ergos are expensive but you can use them for so much longer. I have a friend that used to carry her 2yr old heaps (though he was petite). I used it with DS1 once on holidays when he was 15months and probably 12 -13kgs I walked for 1.5hrs with him in it and after that my back hurt a little but that's pretty good, and I was 1st trimester with DS2. It is safe to use in pregnancy up to 18-20 weeks I think I'd have to check their website for exact week. They also have pretty good resale, so worth the investment if you can afford it.
Hi there,

As good as baby bjorns appear to be in terms of being hands free, they are actually extremely bad for a babies spine.
Anything that supports a young baby by the crotch (such as jolly jumper, walker, carriers such as baby bjorn) put pressure on the lower spine. They are completely unsuitable for a newborn. By the time a baby is big enough to be supported by the crotch they have outgrown the baby bjorn.
You will not find a chiropractor that supports th4e use of a baby bjorn.
Even the walkers and jolly jumpers say not to use them for more then 10 mins a day.

If you want a carrier in a similar style - go an ergo. they have an infant insert that you can use that supports all of the babies spine and doesn't concentrate the weight on one spot. I bought one after my first and Iuse it to carry my 4 year old in as well- so it will certainly last the distance.

I bought mine second hand for $80from ebay and it had been used only a few times. there is no need to buy a new one. (although I definately think $200 is worth it- although that is the most expensive ergo I have ever heard of, they are usually up to around $150 at the most)

In terms of slings - be careful not to put them all in the one basket. There are so many different types of slings and they are all for different purposes. Various types suit various activities and what you find comfortable somebody else will hate. Lots of people try one dodgey cheap thing that kills their back and suddenly all slings are dismissed as dismal failures. In reality if a sling hurts you are either wearing it wrong, you are using the wrong sling for the activity or its bad quality.
i used a baby bjorn with my DD but didnt like it that much. ive kept it but have also bought a Hug A Bub sling this time. It looks great (a little confusing as i havent actually tried to use it yet!) but it came with an instructional DVD and ive been assured they are simple once you've done it a couple of times.
Another Ergo fan here. We did the whole 'bjorn type' carrier thing and that was a nightmare, and could never wear it for more than an hour at a time because it became that uncomfortable. On the flip side I can still carry my nearly 4 year old, 16kg, DS2 in the Ergo for hours and not be bothered; well unless he is hanging off one side that is. laugh

We've just got back from nearly 5 weeks in the UK and it was a lifesaver for us while we were away. Handy for getting DS2 on/off aeroplanes and through airports when tired. It is really versatile and I know of few people who regret spending the money on one. The other soft carrier that has a good reputation is the Manduca....I would love to try one, but haven't had a chance to yet. Have you considered something like a Moby Wrap?

my first i used baby bjorn, i personally didn't like it as it felt too mechanical and not natural but that's just me.
second i tried a sling and i'm with you on that i wouldn't again.
so this time have done some researching and am going to spend the $$ on an ergo natural carrier (over $200 ouch) but with two young boys in tow it seems like the most comfortable, easiest, secure thying i can find.

Check on ebay there is a store you can get them from in the states I got mine brad new for $140. Love it

img src="http://lbff.lilypie.com/jr5Hp8.png" width

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I used it for my DS1 and it was good but it was essential for DS2! It meant that I could 'cuddle' bubba but still tend to the needs of my toddler and do the housework. I found that the baby was always secure and never felt like they were going to fall out, even when bent right over. I could also pick up my toddler if I had to while wearing the bjorn. I will definitely be using it for #3 when he/she gets here!
I found the Baby Bjorn gave me back ache, so I ended up getting a Tommee Tippee one that had the strap around my hips to spread the weight, and it was soooo much better! And cheaper too! Last I saw Target had them for about $100, and Aldi had them for a little while for something like $60
Sign in to follow this topic