Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Bassinet or Cradle ?????? Rss

Hi Everyone,
I am due in October and have used an old family hand me down cane bassinet for my previous babies. Happened to look at bassinets at local baby shop yesterday and thought how nice the bassinets and cradles look and how much mesh / breathable material there is in them now. So....... am wondering if I should update and get a new one this time around.

My question is cradle or bassinet??? It seems bassinets don't have Australian standards???? Does anyone recommend one over the other, have used a specific brand / type that they have found great, am really concerned that it meet all safety requirements.

Thankyou ladies.
I've got a King Parrot Cradle and love it. DD is 6 1/2 month old and still manages to fit in (just) - if you had an above avg size bub or one that moved around alot they would have outgrown it by now. I love the larger size - she outgrew the bassinet on the stroller a long time ago.

I went and spent a few hundred on a bassinet and i have seen it as a waste of money now. Travis has basicly out grown it and i dont find it safe as when he strechs in the bassinet it rocks
I have a bassinet and i like it... Cooper was it in for about 2mths but he started to kick his legs and i would wake up to him all cramped up the top of it.. But i will use the bassinet again!
I used the Valco Rico Bassinet and I loved it! My DD was in it until she was 4 months. It's lightweight and foldable and it's made from a breathable mesh fabric.

First we had Each Other, Then we had You, Now we have Everything

I have a bassinet and will be using it again. Bub is 5 months. Moved her into her cot this week because she started rolling over in the bassinet and I'm worried it might not be safe for her to be in there any longer. I think mine is by kidsline. quite basic really. I put a blanket under the foam mattress caus I thought it felt a bit thin. It recommends only using it till 3 months of age and it may have said up to a certain weight but because bub is still only small I have let her stay.

I loved that I could easily move it into our bedroom or to the living room or into her room. And now it's folded up and is under her cot not taking up much room.

I would not recommend using it once bub starts becomming active. You never know when they just might start to sit up or anything like that. My bub won't roll from tummy to back or back to tummy when on the floor but over night she is rolling to her tummy and I'm worried if she is doing that when I'm not looking what else can she do or will start doing soon. You just never know when they will first roll/sit whatever.
We had a Boori cradle and loved it so much we have bought a second one.

They are quite expensive but we could justify it as we always planned on having four kids.

We bought a second one as we moved house last year and DD2's room is at the other end of the house but wanted to keep hers in her room for day sleeps (not that she ever did) so she would be familiar with her room when it came time for a cot. As her room is so far away from ours we wanted one in our room for night time.

They are much bigger than a bassinet and bigger than most cradles. They are 96cm long by 65cm wide so baby can fit in them for alot longer.

Appart from matching our other furniture, we bought a Boori as it is alot safer than most other cradles. It glides from side to side rather than tilting, so the mattress always stays level, it just moves from left to right, if you get what I mean.

My DD1 was in it for 5 months, DS was in it for 7 months and DD2 was in it for 9 months. Most people get atleast 6 months use out of it for each child. We stretched it with DD2 as her room was so far away and she was a bad sleeper. We were just very careful and made sure we went and picked her up as soon as she woke up. She still had plenty of room in it we were just worried about her climbing out.

Good luck!

I've got the white Target bassinette, it does the job just fine - they're in them for such a short time, is it really worth spending the $$$ on something you'll only use for a few months at most? Mine was passed on from a friend when her son grew out of it.
You can rock them, and the mattresses are so small you only need to use a regular sized pillow case rather than a whole sheet set.
we had a 'love n care' bassinette for DD1 and DS2, loved it as it was fully collapseable for when it was stored, was nice looking and fairly sturdy... but my bubs were big (9pounds each) and they outgrew it very quickly and i found the really soft matress ended up with a divit in the middle
so for #3 (due nov) we bought a wooden cradle of ebay, not as conveinient but much sturdier and bigger, and it rocks like a hammock to help bub go to sleep smile the bassinette didnt rock at all. both fit well in our room next to the bed so i can get to bub easy in those first few months
pros and cons for both really its up to you but really im personally happy with either.
We used the Mothers Choice Coco Bassinette for DS and will be using again this time around. It's currently $144 at Baby Zone Direct and Baby Kingdom.

http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/mothers-choice-coco-bassinet.html

http://www.babykingdom.com.au/mothers+choice+coco+bassinette+_1996_sec4.html

DS was a big baby (10 pounds at birth) and stayed in his bassinette for 4-5 months. I think this is a slightly bigger and deeper bassinette than the round, frilly ones.

We loved the bassinette and found it very convenient as it folds easily and can be moved from room to room or can even be flat packed in the car for holidays. The canopy and covers are also easily removable for washing.
We were given a cradle and I love it. It's also very pretty. The plus about cradle's is that they fit in them for longer, which doesn't matter in the beginning, but if you are planning on having more it can be quite handy! DD was in it for 6 months, and we are hoping number 2 will be too, that way DD can have her cot for longer and then we can do the great bed move a bit later on down the track.
Sign in to follow this topic