Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Doing up an old cot Lock Rss

I have my cot from my DS (who was then used for DD) and i want to use it for this one too. I would love to just buy a new one as this one is a little worse for wear but cant justify buying a new one when a coat of paint is all this one needs so i guess my question is has anyone ever done up a cot? Its currently white so i dont think its one that can be stained, it would have to be painted. Can i just paint it or do i need special paint or anything?
I've painted ours twice. Just a little light sanding was all the prep I did. DS 1 left some deep teeth marks in the top rail but they just needed a little extra sanding. Paint doesn't contain lead anymore smile
It has to be lead free non toxic paint safe for children's furniture.
My husband sanded back a tall boy and painted it white for our dd's room and it looks fantastic, you can't tell its be re painted or not bought like that!
But you do have to sand it back with and orbital sander as trust me you dont want to do it by hand, the tall boy was a huge job and it's no where near as fiddely as a cot as you have to get in between the panels. Sanding by hand is the last thing you want to do at 30 weeks pregnant with kids.
Before you commit to doing it, go and price all your products 1st as you will be surprised by how much it will all cost. Including the sanding pads and you will need alot more then you think! Paint including undercoat, turps, brushes (dont get cheap ones as they leave streaks behind in the paint job, hire of sander, drop sheets.
And then have a look on ebay, gumtree or garage sales and see what you can get a 2nd hand cot for. You might pick one up cheaper then your products will be. Just a thought though. And if you do paint it make sure you let it dry for a good two weeks, i was so surprised at how long our tall boy took to completly dry and not smell of paint.
Good luck.

Jess 28yrs, 5yr old daughter, 8 month old son and 20 weeks pregnant.

I have my cot from my DS (who was then used for DD) and i want to use it for this one too. I would love to just buy a new one as this one is a little worse for wear but cant justify buying a new one when a coat of paint is all this one needs so i guess my question is has anyone ever done up a cot? Its currently white so i dont think its one that can be stained, it would have to be painted. Can i just paint it or do i need special paint or anything?

If u have access to a spray gun the painting and coats will all be much faster!!!

Sign in to follow this topic