Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Pram for newborn and toddler Lock Rss

Hi

who has or has had a strider plus or Phil and teds explorer or sports pram?

I am hoping to have 18 months between babies, and will be using a capsule.

looking for feedback for those who have used either prams and the pros and cons.

thanks
We're buying the Strider Plus, and although I can't give any first-hand feedback, I know a lot of mums say they're too heavy/bulky etc. In my opinion, the baby is going to get heavier anyway and will still be picked up - more than the pram anyway! I will say though I think Steelcraft (the makers of the Strider) are marketing to the wrong crowd - you can see in the paperwork for the Strider some skinny woman in high heels and glamourous clothes surrounded by high-rise buildings, and from the women I've spoken to who live in the city, they prefer something more compact (commonly talk of the mountain buggy, which I'm not impressed with).

But for where we live, out rural ways the Strider is perfect: it has solid tyres for when you're on crappy roads or in paddocks; there is heaps of cover for bubs (where other prams don't have nearly enough); it comes with all the covers (boot, mosquito, rain); the handle height is adjustable (great for the difference in height between hubby and I)... The list just goes on! Plus, I love that I can get it in a 4-wheeler and that it still turns on a dime. My SIL bought a 3-wheeler pram and couldn't stop raving about how easy it was to drive - until she was in a tight spot somewhere or on carpet, then it all went to sh** LOL. She's pregnant now with twins and is looking at the Strider, as is a friend of mine who is also pregnant with twins. We see LOTS of Striders out here!

Sorry if this was a bit long (especially since I said I had no first-hand experience yet - well, except for what you get when you're in the store wink ) but I'll be watching this thread to see what others say! It'd be nice to hear some positives for a change!

Oh and I forgot to mention roll eyes the other reason we like the Strider is that the weight capacity is up to 20kg, so we won't have to buy another pram for a while yet!
We currently have the strider plus and its so bloody heavy with 2 in it ( 7 months & 28 months ) so im selling it and getting the city mini double wink

Hi

who has or has had a strider plus or Phil and teds explorer or sports pram?

I am hoping to have 18 months between babies, and will be using a capsule.

looking for feedback for those who have used either prams and the pros and cons.

thanks

I had the older model strider (only had it for 3 months before i sold it again as i hated it) and it took up so much room in my boot it wasnt funny. (and it was only the single one) Even though i have a massive boot it was still a pain in the a*se.

I had the phil and teds sports and loved it. My friend used mine for a few weeks and even bought herself one. It was so easy to push with one hand, fit through every checkout in the shops (where the strider wouldnt) But unfortunatley the only downside about the sports is you cant get a capusle to attach to it (im not sure about the explorer though)

Oh and i never had my phil and ted tip.
Hi!
I've got an 18 month old and due with my second on 4oct (dd will be a few weeks off two) and im planning to buy the gabby jogger city select. I have a p+t sport and I love it but it is a bit heavy to lift into the boot of my car. My friend has a four year old and a one year old and swears by her p+t explorer.

The only reason im ditching the sport is I bought it second hand and I dont think its gonna last for another kid. It was already three years old when I bought it. So they do last well.

The reason im going to get the baby jogger above the strider is its more versatile (have a look at the baby jogger site and see the different positions and accessories.) And its lighter while it can carry more weight. The strider is limited to 20-23 kg while both seats on the baby jogger take 25kg. Its also slightly narrower which would be good in shops.

Not trying to sell you the baby jogger just sharing the info I've come across.

For me, if the p+t was lighter and took more weight id be buying another one without hesitation. But the baby jogger and strider are both more accommodating to the kids needs in the different seating positions and your needs in that they take capsules etc.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I have a P&T. I have a 2 yr and will have a newborn in July.
I plan to buy the toddle seat and have brought a cocoon for the newborn.
I love the idea that once bubs start to sit up the toddle seat can be moved to the back of the pram. I also love the idea that when I have only one child, I can still have a single pram. I have had my P&T for 8mths. Its great. roll eyes
I have a P&T. I have a 2 yr and will have a newborn in July.
I plan to buy the toddle seat and have brought a cocoon for the newborn.
I love the idea that once bubs start to sit up the toddle seat can be moved to the back of the pram. I also love the idea that when I have only one child, I can still have a single pram. I have had my P&T for 8mths. Its great. roll eyes
I'm still reading the same complaints about the Strider and TBH one in particular confuses me: where it doesn't fit in shopping aisles?! It's not wider than a trolley so unless you're in an express store that only has baskets and mini aisles, this is somewhat confusing! I know the places I shop at have plenty of room, so I'm also wondering when people complain of the Strider's size, where they're living? I mean, city, regional, rural/remote...?

And another thing, the weight of a pram with one or two children in it - how would that weight be any different than a trolley loaded with groceries in weight? A great workout if nothing else....

It will always be a personal choice of course - what works for one family won't necessarily work for another, but logically some of the complaints just don't add up. Each to their own I guess.
I had a strider plus and found that I could never get out of the checkout at my local woollies which is a standard regional Woolworths in Australia, I also struggled at Big W. It must be wider than the trolleys in my local shops anyway.

I also found the strider quite heavy, when I say heavy I mean cumbersome when folded to get in and out of the boot of the car. I actually got into trouble from my DH, because I used to accidently scrape it on the bumper bar as I was hauling it in and out of the boot and scratched the bumper bar. I think that's what people mean by heavy.

I have a Phil and Ted Verve now and it is much narrower and much lighter when lifting it out of the car. However it is a little fiddlier to get up and down which is never fun when you are stuck in the car park in the rain wresting with the thing.

Prams are such an individual thing. A friend offered me a 'testdrive' of hers before I bought one for the first time and I thonght she was bonkers. Now I recommend it to everyone even if you do look a bit odd wandering around the shops with a pram with no baby....

I'm still reading the same complaints about the Strider and TBH one in particular confuses me: where it doesn't fit in shopping aisles?! It's not wider than a trolley so unless you're in an express store that only has baskets and mini aisles, this is somewhat confusing! I know the places I shop at have plenty of room, so I'm also wondering when people complain of the Strider's size, where they're living? I mean, city, regional, rural/remote...?

And another thing, the weight of a pram with one or two children in it - how would that weight be any different than a trolley loaded with groceries in weight? A great workout if nothing else....

It will always be a personal choice of course - what works for one family won't necessarily work for another, but logically some of the complaints just don't add up. Each to their own I guess.

I live rurally. And my strider was literally maybe 2cm too wide for the checkout at my local woolies and its only the back tyres. It wouldnt even fit into the express lane as they have too much cr@p stored in the way. I could only use the pram/wheelchair lanes and it was painful especially when they were really busy and only had two things or those isles werent even open. There were so many times where i tried to just give it a really big shove but it just wouldnt work.

Whereas my old phil and teds sport i never had a drama about it not fitting through.
thanks guys....i'mm still confused! i might widen my search to other brands (that just means more to choose from though!).

i like the strider, but it really is wide and i have a heavy 7 month old so i use my pram everywhere. I've just read so many bad p&t reviews online.
I have the strider 3 wheel that i got when my DD was 6 months and the first pram we had turend out completely useless. I have used it for over a year with one bub and have the toddler seat ready for number 2 arrives soon so i haven't used it as a 2 pram yet.

I love it! I find it so easy to steer and takes heaps of shopping in the basket. The adjustable handle was a big factor for us as my DH is 6 ft 5 and i'm quite tall too but he couldn't walk with the toddler seat attached on the phil and teds as he kept kicking the back of the seat. We have also just got the capsule to clip inot the strider for the new baby so that will make life much easier.

It is a little wide but compared to a twin pram is still smaller so i find it fine and only occasionallly have to take the disabled asile in a shop. Good luck in your search and hope you are happy with what you end up with smile

Sign in to follow this topic