Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Newborn Accessories & Equipment
  5. Recommend me a good pram for newborn & toddler (20month)

Recommend me a good pram for newborn & toddler (20month) Lock Rss

I was going to suggest the Phil & Teds Navigator but you said you don't like bub being behind. I have just bought a navigator and its great. You could also have a look at the Valco Zee Spark Duo; it's a side by side but not overly wide smile

ETA Have you had a name change recently? I'm sure I've missed something :/

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

2 of my friends have just bought the Baby jogger city select pram - can have 2 seats in varying combos - they look great but are expensive and may be too big for what you are wanting.

We're getting a baby jogger city select with the second seat. Dd will be 22 months when ds is born. I watched countless videos and read heaps of reviews on this pram and like you, really don't like the look or idea of one underneath or side by side! As pp said they're a bit pricey but convert back to a single pram and I've seen them for $700 second hand so there's always the option of selling once you're done smile

...it's me..Blee wink

I'm having the same issue Sparky&Princess. This is my first baby and my husband and I hope to have another when this baby is approx 2yrs and we've been looking at the Strider Plus and City Select Jogger. The CSJ looks like a better option as have seen rave reviews about it but at around $1100 compared to the SP around $700 we're struggling to see the benefits of paying a further $400. Would love feedback! smile

Sal&MissBeau wrote:
I was going to suggest the Phil & Teds Navigator but you said you don't like bub being behind. I have just bought a navigator and its great. You could also have a look at the Valco Zee Spark Duo; it's a side by side but not overly wide smile

ETA Have you had a name change recently? I'm sure I've missed something :/

I had a phil and teds sport and now im getting a phil and teds explorer, they're great aren't they!

Sparky what about a strider plus or baby jogger city select?
If I wasnt getting the phil and teds id get the baby jogger.
Check out the utube videos for the prams as they might help you chose.

Also, phil and teds prams let you put newborn in the main seat like a flat bed while toddler sits on top. Sounds terrible but its great for shopping because you aren't long or wide.
The new phil and teds dot is pretty cool too.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I would say the Baby Jogger City Select is the best pram on the market for newborn & toddler IF you can afford it. So many people I know recommend it, and I've been researching myself too. Check out the youtube videos. I love that it is so adaptable, the babies can sit in so many different positions - both facing you, facing each other, one facing you & one facing out etc... And I havent found another like the City Select - it doesn't have one of the kids sitting behind and below where they can't even see out, unlike every other double pram! You can also attach a Safe & Sound Unity or a Peg Peggero Viaggio capsule for when your bub is little (with the adaptor that is sold seperately).

I just think it is the best by far, and I am so hoping our budget can stretch this much! (It is around $1100 brand new, depending on where you buy it from, and then extra if you want a capsule adaptor or other accessories)

Hope this helps smile
I didn't like the idea of the baby being underneath either, so I got a Steelcraft Take 2 Strider. I did get mine close to 4 years ago now and I think they may have changed the design since then, but it is still going strong and I use it constantly. When DS got to heavy to sit in the toddler seat (up to 17kg) I just switched them over so he was in the back and DD was in the top seat.

It wasn't cheap to buy and the toddler seat was extra, but it is very good quality and you do get what you pay for smile
Just wanted to point out that with strollers that have the back child lower it makes them alot more stable.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Have you thought about getting a skateboard? My DD was 21mths when DS was born & I had a iCandy pear.
I bought my pram at a great price through a baby expo before they were released in AU, so when I sold it I got all by $100 back.

That said, if I knew now what I did then, I would have just gotten the skateboard. I used my double pram for about 3mths max before DD just used to walk & she could jump on the skateboard if I was near roads etc or she was tired. For long day trips we would have just used a carrier for DS & DD had the pram.
Hi
I have just ordered a Steelcraft Strider Compact. It is like the plus but much smaller. It's certainly not a 'stroller' - still pretty big and sturdy, but it was the best for us.

I took the Baby Jogger City Select for a test drive and as much as it's a beautiful pram, the options for seating were so limiting that there was no point in spending the extra money. With the BJCS I really wanted my toddler at the front and facing forward, with my newborn facing me (closest to me), however, (something no-one ever tells you) you cannot recline the newborn seat at all when in this configuration - rendering that set up useless for a newborn and toddler. Also, the seats are so close together I could anticipate my active toddler enjoying kicking the newborns seat if facing each other or sitting behind.

Although I wasn't keen on the inline style at first, I have come around to it due to the narrowness of the pram and the set up of the Strider Compact. I will put my newborn (due in March) in the bottom, where I can look straight down and see them, while the toddler sits up top (he refuses point blank to be on the bottom). I hope that by the time the little one is aware and not wanting to be down the bottom, that my toddler will be ready to walk most of the time and my little one can then move up to the main seat and the pram can be converted back to a single.

The other option I looked at is the very narrow Mountain Buggy Duet (side by side but only 63cm wide). I was completely sold on this until seeing it in person. Flimsy sun visor, straps to recline seat are hard to access, as is the foot brake and the quality just didn't seem to be there.
Hope this is helpful. : )
Leighjen, not speaking for the original poster, but for me - your info was very helpful, thanks. I'll have to look into the Compact. I thought i was so set on the Baby Jogger City Select - but not sure if it's worth the money, especially since reading your comment. Did you know the City Select is only for babies 6m+? For newborns you need either a capsule or their basinette to put in. I found this out on the weekend :/
Hi Blue Jean Baby
I'm glad the info was of some help. Buying a pram is such a personal thing, but we are all looking for similar qualities... one way or the other. I had heard that the Baby Jogger City Select was for 6mth plus. I played around with the bassinet, and found that it was incredibly awkward! The best place for it is at the front (further away from mum, to maximise handling of the pram), but to me, bubs felt a long way away and it wasn't easy to see them. I really struggled getting the seat and the bassinet in place - very fiddly. The capsule would work a lot better, however we had decided not to go for a capsule as they only last a few months before bubs either grows out of them or gets upset being in them. That's what happened with my first son - he was only in his capsule for about 4 months as he is tall and, although the capsule was beautiful and snug, he would get way too hot in it. We've decided to go for a Safe n Sound Meridien car seat (0-4years).
I haven't received my Strider Compact yet, but I can let you know how it goes if you like? It's not absolutely perfect by any stretch but I think it will work well for us.
Sign in to follow this topic