Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

I need Advice. Lock Rss

My partner and I are expecting in May next year and are now thinking of names we would like to give our baby! If it's a boy we both really like the name "Richard" we feel it's a very strong name as well as being a family name on both sides. BUT when ever someone asks me if we have come up with any names yet, and I tell them we are thinking of Richard, most of the responses are something like "oh how cute - Little Dick" we don't want our son to be called "Dick" but really love the name Richard or Ritchie or Rick. I would love some feedback, do you think my son will go through life telling people not to call him "Little Dick" or "Dick" especially through school - kids can be so mean!!!
Hi Chels

Do what we did for our first and are doing for this one, also due in May, make up a name that you wouldn't even dream of using for a child, and tell everyone that or just tell them that it's none of their business and you are keeping that for yourselves. We teased my mother by saying that the baby was going to be called William Robert, not a bad name but then you shorten it you get Billy Bob! It gives you a bit of a laugh to see peoples reactions! Good Luck!

Jo, Emily 2/9/04 & Will 13/5/06

my fil name is richard actually its his middle name but has gone by it all his life a lot of people call him dickie including his sons! but if you are opposed to a certain nick name just be firm and say his name is richard but you can call him rick! our son is brad not bradley and we are forever telling people it just brad its just a fact of life & kids will be kids not much you can do about it

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi there,
My hubbubys dad and grandfathers names were both richard and though his grandfather went by dick his father is still just richard if you want to call him that then do it just be firm about the nickname thing, one of my brothers names is jackson and mum was always ery firm about no nicknames and he still gets called jackson even at school, however it really doesnt matter what our names are youd be hard pressed to find someone who was never given one at school! good luck!
violet

Charlie 5, Imee 3, Laura 13mths, and ttc #4!

Hi Chels,

My FIL's name is Richard and he never gets shortened to anything else. Just Richard.

When we named our son, we couldn't decide between two names, Kai and Xander. We decided to call him Kai Xander and if later he doesn't like 'Kai' and would prefer to be called Xander, we are happy to oblige. Maybe you could pick a name you also like for his middle name and if he gets too teased at school for Richard, he at least has a solution!

Elle, DS: Kai 20/11/04 & DS: Jamie 13/02/07

my boyfriends name is richard. it only ever gets shortened to richie. i think dick is very old fashioned and only older people would shorten it to dick. i doubt a young child would know to shorten it to dick.

how do u get dick from richard anyways?

i know its a common thing for older generations but i doubt theres anyone from younger generations that would have their name shortened to dick from richard.

i think richard would be fine. i'm actually naming my baby richard should it be a boy, my boyfriend wants the baby named after him. however i think i'll be changing his middle name. somehow i dont think leslie is a very nice middle name for a boy. what was his mother thinking when she gave him the middle name leslie?
Hi Chels,
I would agree with Sw33tn3ss, Dick being substituted for Richard is so old now. I bet it is mostly the older people that have said that, as it was common 30+ years ago. Kids nowdays see Dick as being part the body, and wouldn't get it from Richard unless their parents taught them that. I think if you were to make his nickname Ritchie he would sail through school without too many hassles. Rick could be rhymed with Dick. It is so horrible these days that we have to go through and analize every way a name could be changed into a ridicule!
Good luck on deciding!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Sign in to follow this topic