Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. strange spelling of kids names.

strange spelling of kids names. Rss

why do some people give their kids names silly or strange spelling? like jennafa

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

It's probably not fair to say they give their babies "silly" names as it's an individual choice.
Perhaps people just want to be a bit different? It could also be a cultural thing?

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

I do agree that it is difficult not only for the child, but for others as the child gets older. When they get to preschool or school and the teacher pronounces the name incorrectly, or you have to correct EVERYONE on the spelling of your child's name, it is confusing. My children have pretty ordinary names but I regret spelling my eldest son Jarred's name with double r. Even that one little difference has him forever correcting everyone's spelling of his name. (Even though it is spelt that way in baby name books, one r is more common). I agree that even though it may seem unique and cute now, will it be so fun for your child in the future? Worth giving it some thought anyway. Of course...each to their own I say...

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

this is my opinion so dont take offence.

i like how they spell it different. i am tired of seeing everyone name their children the same old names. 5 of my friends in the last month all had their babies around each other and they are all called sarah (they dont know each other) there is sarah grace, sarah abigail, sarah jane, sarah-leah and on and on and on... i mean i am a lover of different names thus my daughters name "EILISH"

i like how people spell their childrens names different at least it makes them more of an individual.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

hi lili i did not mean to offend you i did not say the names are silly just the spelling. it will just cause the child to forever have to correct people . my hubby is a teacher& he agrees i have an unusaul name as i was born in a differennt country so i always have to correct people not only the spelling but the prounciation & it was very annoying we chose names for our boys that are easy to spell & say we have brad, blake & ryan . i have had someone ask how to spell blake reaaly how difficult is it?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi VKW

I wasn't offended by your message so don't worry about it. I just thought some people might take it the wrong way and we shouldn't judge other people's choices. I do agree with another post on this forum in that we should think of the child and how their name will affect them later on in life. It is nice to be an "individual" but at what price?

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

there should be more to worry about rather than helping people spell and pronounce your childrens names. there is world famine, war, and all the nasty stuff out there.

i am pleased my daughter is not just another sarah. i am proud she is an individual i mean FGS its not like we called her "moon unit" or "heavenly hirraani tigerlilly"

i agree we shouldnt judge others opinions EVERYONE has the right of speach.. and my fiance and mines opinion was we didnt wanna add another sarah to the food chain.

my cousins name is blake and he goes to school with blaik and blayke there are other spellings of blake. i mean its safe to ask how to spell it than to spell it wrong and be given death stares

Hello I am one of the children who grew up with a different name. I hated the fact all the other kids could buy things in the shops with them name on it ie rulers, cups, key rings etc. I never had my name spelt right on invitations and I guess I just got use to people not pronouncing correctly. It use to bug the hell out of me. My name is Irish and spelt JANEEN - I would get Janine, Janene, Janelle, Joanne, Jenni,Jeanean,Genine the list just goes on and on........ My name is pronounced how it is spelt
JAN- EEN but people hear it as Jenny so you either say your name is Janine and just put up with it or try and try to explain how your name is broken down to say it. I answer to Janine it is much easier. I still to this day get Xmas cards to Janine!! It drives me nuts..........So needless to say I always make sure I spell someones name right as I know how hurtful it is when it is spelt wrong.

I love the name Callie (pronounced as CAL-LEA) but of course people will pronounce it as Kelly.
I had a friend in school and a sister in law who both had their name spelt as Tracy (instead of Tracey). They also had the same problems.

As I get older the less I really care about how people say my name but it still really grates on my nerves when it is spelt wrong. I find it insulting when people cant even read the card you sent them and copy your name..... to me it just shows they dont really read what I write anyway!

But having said all that I do like different names.
Back in the 80's when I was growing up Stephanie was pretty rare - you could never find it in the shops on rulers or stickers or anything sad but now its everywhere. I haven't seen anything with Bennett on it but am happy to buy BEN things...

I love unusual names but i think there is a big difference between unusual names and regular names that are spelt "unusually" One ofthe mums n my mums group is a teacher and she said its really hard with all the different spellings

A good peice of advice I got while pregnant was if you are going to give your child an unusual name then pair it with a plain middle name so they can use that if they prefer.....

So in a nutshell i love unusual names but i don't think a name is neccessarily unusual just by spelling it really differently.

Love Steph smile

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

I agree with silly spellings of common names likes Rebekah. It sounds like a catering to people who cant spell. I think it just complicates the simple task of writing ones name. As a child not being able to buy things with my name on it made me feel left out, and not special boo hoo.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

You do have to be careful - to be fair, Rebekah is the way it is spelt in the bible. that makes it an original spelling to me! Admittedly, It's not the 'common' spelling though. If you can't find things with your child's name on, there is an option for some things. at a local gift shop near me, they have A5 sized cards with your name meaning printed on them. They come with all the standard names for about $7.00 each. BUT if you can't find your child's name or spelling, the shop assistant will put in a special order from the company and get it printed for you. This may apply for other things, too. Just ask the shop assistants of the stores that carry those lines. Most printshops can transfer images and text onto all sorts of things these days - use your imagination and make your own unique gifts! Yes, I, too, never had anything with my name on it either!! We may all need group counselling or something....

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic