Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. Aisling - Actually pronounced ASH-LIN

Aisling - Actually pronounced ASH-LIN Lock Rss

Do you think people will know how to pronounce this name correctly?
I think most people would pronounce it incorrectly - sorry. I only know the "proper" pronunciation because of belonging to baby name sites. If I was the general public I would pronounce it A-(as in the letter "A")-ss-lin.
No I don't get Ash-Lin out of Aisling. I think if that's the prounciation you're after you'd be better spelling it as Ashlin or Ashlyn!

No. But I think its a lovely name. Theres lots of names that people have to be told how to say correctly.
Sorry I think it will be Pronounce wrong. Ashlyn is how i would spell it.

Good Luck
Aleigh
Maybe people would get it wrong but it's the same as Aoife and Niamh, they are starting to be seen more and more in Australia and soon people will start to be more familiar with them.
If you don't want a name that you will have to correct then steer clear but if it doesn't bother you (I am forever correcting mine, no biggy) I'd go with it. I think changing the spelling takes some of it's beauty away.
No probably not here in Australia but in Ireland yes. My cousin is Aisling and has no problem but then she lives in Ireland. lol

Its a very pretty name.
Some will know how to say it as alot of people realise Irish/Gaelic names are said differently to how they are spelt.

Personally I think the spelling Ashlin/Ashlyn is so much nicer that Aisling

i agree with PP, whenever I see it written down, i want to say it with a 'g' on the end.
I think you would be always correcting people
PS - how do i add the pregnancy countdown to my posts?

Aisling is pronounced Ash-ling, not Ash-lin. It means dream in Gaelic. I agree with previous posters, if you want Ashlyn, spell is as such (Ashlin, Ashlyn or whatever).
Posted by: charile.nz
Aisling is pronounced Ash-ling, not Ash-lin. It means dream in Gaelic. I agree with previous posters, if you want Ashlyn, spell is as such (Ashlin, Ashlyn or whatever).

Yes this is true, I spent some of my time growing up in Ireland and had a cousin and her name was pronounced
"Ash-ling" I always thought it was a really nice name.
I think you are always going to have trouble with people pronouncing this name. I had no clue.

As for the pregnancy count down, you can down load them from Lilypie.

Mr Reed born 20/1/2010. Too cute smile

Sign in to follow this topic