Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

last name dilema Rss

Hey Everyone

Ok well Im having a little girl in june and i can't decide whether she will have my last name or my partner's last name.

I left my partner at 27 weeks because he was treating me right and have moved back in with my parents. But we have been talking on the phone and we might work things out...but there is the chance we may break up again and i'll be a single mum.

My partner wants bubby to have his last name but i want her to have mine or a hyphen name but my partner hates hyphen names.

I really dont know what to do, anyone else in this situation? Any advice from anyone would be great!

Bec xo
maybe give his surname as a middle name or give his & your surnames without a hypen

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

If you think that you will not end up together, and you'll be the one raising your baby, then give her your last name too. That we she will be that same as her mummy and not so many questions down the track.

Bec, it sounds like you're unsure what kind of future you and your ex might have together and for this reason, I'd have to suggest that you give your little girl YOUR surname.

I thought I was doing the right thing when I had my first daughter by giving her the father's surname, but we broke up when she was three and now she's stuck with the name because I can't change it without his authorisation! It's so frustrating for me and painful to be always explaining the difference in our names to other people.

If, one day down the track, you and your ex do get back together ... maybe even get married ... I'm sure he would be more than happy to authorise a change of surname for your little girl then ...

Nicole - WA - Mummy to 2 Girls (16yrs & 9mths)

Sign in to follow this topic