Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. ripping my hair out and want to cry!!!

ripping my hair out and want to cry!!! Lock Rss

So.. I am 21 weeks preg with number to and found out we are expecting another beautiful DD. DH and I have been having trouble finding a name we both like that will go with the middle name of Layne. If we end up having a boy we are set as we have a boys name.

We both really like Amelia Layne but there is one hitch. One of my good friends wants to use Amelia as a middle name. This friend is not even pregnant and doesnt have any children so may not even have a girl as they are having trouble TTC and have been trying for a number of years.

She is the kind of person who would get upset if we were to pick Amelia for a first name as she wants to use it for a MN. She has also asked us to not use Olivia as a name as she has picked out Oliver if they have a boy, which is fine by me, as DH doesnt like Olivia anyway and then her initials would be OLD.

I guess I am trying to keep my friends happy by not stealing any names, but I think if the roles were reversed I would be happy for her to use a MN we picked out as a first name as its not both the same first name. I feel really down about this as its hard enough to find a name DH likes LOL.

Sorry to drag on I think I just need to vent as I feel we have to go back to the drawing board. Any tips????
Thats a tough one but i dont think it matters if she only wants it for a middlename??
Maybe ask her if she minds if she's a really close friend!
U could always compromise & choose Milly if thats what you'll probably call her anyway!
Its so hard to find the perfect name so if Amelia's the one for u then i would use it!
Your friend can still use it as a middlename anyway if she has a girl??
To be honest i looooove the name Layne or Laney more than Amelia!
Could that be a possibility for a 1st name instead!
I also like Alexis which i think is kinda similar to Amelia as i love the nn Lexi too!
Bella & Milly, Bella & Laney or Bella & Lexi all sound adorable to me! wub
Good luck deciding! grin

If it were me i would use the name and it would be very immature of your friend to get mad as she only wants to use as a middle name anyway.My daughter has lane as one of her middle names and my sister might use it as a first name and i have no problems with it and its your baby and your choice not hers and as a friend she should be happy for you not making you wanna rip your hair out and cry lol

Thats a tough one but i dont think it matters if she only wants it for a middlename??
Maybe ask her if she minds if she's a really close friend!
U could always compromise & choose Milly if thats what you'll probably call her anyway!
Its so hard to find the perfect name so if Amelia's the one for u then i would use it!
Your friend can still use it as a middlename anyway if she has a girl??
To be honest i looooove the name Layne or Laney more than Amelia!
Could that be a possibility for a 1st name instead!
I also like Alexis which i think is kinda similar to Amelia as i love the nn Lexi too!
Bella & Milly, Bella & Laney or Bella & Lexi all sound adorable to me! wub
Good luck deciding! grin

I did say to her that we were wanting to use Amelia and she was like we are using it after one of their mums which I'm guessing is one of their mums MN's. We did think of Layne but DH wasnt to keen on it as a first name but I will run it past him again and not a huge fan of Alexis unfortunately lol. But thanks heaps for your advice I'll check again with DH about Layne
had the same thing I really like both Amelia and Olivia but the SIL wanted to use them so I ended up going for Emily (although we are having a boy so doesn't matter now) There is a pretty french way of spelling and saying it not too sure how it goes but is more like Amalie.
I wouldn't worry about your friend but I can understand you not wanting to rock the boat over a name.
DH doesnt like Emily but I do lol. Bloody Men.

I guess I'm just really more annoyed at the fact that she has to make it all about her. She did the same thing when I was preg with DD1 and kept saying I was a bitch when I was preg (which I'm sure I had my moments as I was sick for the whole 9 month) and I think she enjoys belittling people sometimes, which I guess is a reason I have distanced myself from her this pregnancy as dont wana put up with it this time and end up with PND again (which I dont blame on her but it was a contributing factor). So yes she can be extremely immature, considering she is nearly 29. We are only using Layne as that is DH mums MN and DD1 has my mums MN so we have to be fair, plus I quite like it. Argh I dont know what to do. I really like Amelia and its ALOT better than the names DH keeps coming up with lol. Oh Well was really just having a vent and have another 20 weeks to decide on a name so we will see what happens as time progresses.

Thanks again for all your advice and support. I'm sure it will work out
In my opinion, if she isnt pregnant, and you are, then why the blazers (for use of a better word!) shouldn't you use the name you like? I agree, she's bloody immature if she chucks a wobbly because you are using a name for your baby that she likes. I say do it!

I would just use the name if you really love it!!!She seems jealous too me and like you said she may never have a girl.Amalia is also another idea.I have an Amarli.But if your heart is set on Amelia go with it.
I can understand where you're coming from, but i guess i was the b!tchy best friend in my situation haha. Even when i was pregnant with DS I had the girls name Dakota picked out, and said if i had another baby, boy or girl, i would call it Dakota. Anyway when my best friend got pregnant she was seriously considering using the name Dakota, even though she KNEW it was the name i wanted to use when i have another baby. I'll admit i was p!ssed off and told her so! But that didnt stop her wanting to use it. They didnt end up using the name. Anyway what im saying is i can see it from your friends point of view IYKWIM?

But i think it is kinda different because she only wants it for a middle name. I dunno, if it was me, i wouldnt use it.
Oh and now i am pregnant i dont even know if i want to use the name Dakota, well I do, but DP isn't so keen on it sad
I'm sorry but your friend is starting to piss me off.... she's not even pregnant and even if she does she could have a boy or her DH might not even like the name anyway. She's lloking too far into the future and only causing havic for you.
Naming a baby is a special thing, and as ive told other people, you will know the name when you hear it. And if that's the name then that's the name.
I named our daughter before she was born. Told everyone. And then up to 3 weeks later was getting told of other people who's children have that name. My responce was too bad, we've choosen this name and this is what we like.

So good luck and all the best.
Sorry but this friend of yours sounds VERY immature. Definitely use the name Amelia, if you don't you will regret it so much! I know plenty of people who have liked the same names as other friends/family and they either use the first in best dressed approach or they both use the name! My brother has the same name as my mums best friends son and neither of them cared growing up!

I can understand where you're coming from, but i guess i was the b!tchy best friend in my situation haha. Even when i was pregnant with DS I had the girls name Dakota picked out, and said if i had another baby, boy or girl, i would call it Dakota. Anyway when my best friend got pregnant she was seriously considering using the name Dakota, even though she KNEW it was the name i wanted to use when i have another baby. I'll admit i was p!ssed off and told her so! But that didnt stop her wanting to use it. They didnt end up using the name. Anyway what im saying is i can see it from your friends point of view IYKWIM?

But i think it is kinda different because she only wants it for a middle name. I dunno, if it was me, i wouldnt use it.
Oh and now i am pregnant i dont even know if i want to use the name Dakota, well I do, but DP isn't so keen on it sad

I can understand where she is coming from I think I just needed a vent since we are struggling with a name and it was one we finally could agree on lol. She did say at one stage that she was going to use the name we have for a boy but her DH didnt like it cause he couldnt spell it.

I think DH is set on Amelia so we will have to see what happens still 20 weeks to go so hopefully will find something else.

Thanks again everyone grin
Sign in to follow this topic