Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. Name already in the family..

Name already in the family.. Lock Rss

We are having a girl and I really like the name Maddie. I don't think we could use this as a full name so I like Madeleine (but call her Maddie). The problem is DHs cousin is called Madeleine so I'm not sure if his family members will have an issue with it?

What do you think?

(p.s. we don't want to use Madison..)

Thanks!
How old is the cousin? You could ask her if she would mind. Otherwise I don't see why you can't use it. If I were the cousin I would be quite flattered roll eyes
My husband and I used the same name as my step brothers little boy, after asking if they would mind first. I don't see a problem, unless they had the same last name...
I think as long as you ask and they're ok with it then there isn't a problem. Although, it also depends on how much you see them, if you have the same last name and that sort of thing too (eg I love the name Olive, but my niece of the same surname is called Olivia and everyone calls her Olive. Also have the same problem with Oliver!! We spend a lot of time with them so it would just be too confusing - but we have other relations with kids called Jack and George which are both on our names list, we hardly ever see them so we don't think it would be a problem.)

How about Matildia, Mattie sounds almost exactly the same as Maddie!!
I come from a very large family and I'm the only one of my female cousins who doesn't share a name with another member of the family. None of them seem(ed) to care and they all played together when growing up. Nicknames become important when there are repeat names, though so if the other cousin is already called Maddie then you're may not end up with that as her nickname within the family. Then again, they may call her little Maddie her whole life....

Thanks everyone for your replies. FYI, the cousin is an adult, goes by Mads and has a different surname....

Out of interest, what do you like best for Maddie to be short for:

Madeleine
Madelyn
Madison

Thanks!
Madeleine is my favourite. I don't think two in the family (with that relationship) is a problem at all. I have an aunt with the same name and I'm prefixed with 'little'

I like Madeline (pronounced Mad - a - line rhymes with fine) like the books with the little french girls walking in lines. smile My friend has a DD spelled the same way but pronounced 'lynne' at the end.

I like Madeline (pronounced Mad - a - line rhymes with fine) like the books with the little french girls walking in lines. smile My friend has a DD spelled the same way but pronounced 'lynne' at the end.

Me too. Quite glad I have a dd now to read those books to!
i don't see the problem with calling her Maddie (make that her birth name).

Two beautiful girls, hubby working from home makes one happy mumma smile
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com...]

Sign in to follow this topic