Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Family Names Lock Rss

Hiya just wandering does the majority of people think middle names should be family names, im just a bit unsure as if i will regret not using my Mum's name or my middle name for my daughter's middle name, sometimes i just find it funny thinking of my mum everytime i writer her name and say her whole name?? i love my mum dearly, but sometimes we do clash like a lot of people!!!
No, I think a lot of people do use family names, but there is not really any expectation at all that you should do.

In fact, I had never really been a huge fan of using family names because there is always the risk that you're going to offend someone. Okay, so you use your mother's name, is your partner's mother then going to be offended that you didn't use her name?

In saying that, DD's middle name is my great-grandmother's name, which was chosen partly in honour of her and partly because I just liked the name. I got a negative comment from my grandmother when I announced the name (the great-grandmother in question was her MIL and they didn't get on!) but it has not been an ongoing issue. In fact I bet my grandmother doesn't even remember what DD's middle name is (although she does have Alzheimer's!). And my grandmother certainly wasn't hurt that I didn't use her own name because there was no expectation that I would.
Tks yeah i guess it comes down to if it suite bub and you connect with it, im deciding over

Bonnie Elizabeth my middle name
Bonnie Rose born 1st day of spring
Bonnie Louise my Mum's name
Bonnie Georgina my name
I think Bonnie Anna is cute too!!!

Tks yeah i guess it comes down to if it suite bub and you connect with it, im deciding over

Bonnie Elizabeth my middle name
Bonnie Rose born 1st day of spring
Bonnie Louise my Mum's name
Bonnie Georgina my name
I think Bonnie Anna is cute too!!!

I like Bonnie with Elizabeth, Louise or Georgina. For some reason I think it just sounds a bit odd with Rose, and I don't think it flows well with Anna.

Go with Georgina! Nice to have your own name in there!
I am a fan of using family names as middle names. Not really sure why, I think I just like tradition, but in saying that I have a friend who thought I was stupid using a family name.... No big deal, to each there own. But to me it was important that my middle name, Ann was carried on. The name didn't go well with bubs first name so I changed it silly to Anna. If bubs was a boy we would have used DH middle name.

You use whatever names you want to use for your bubs. I don't think anyone will get upset if you donot use their name and if they do they are silly.
On your list of names I really like Bonnie Louise and Bonnie Rose.
By the way, Bonnie is such a cute name! smile
We've not used family names for our girls. We figured there'd always be someone offended if we didn't use theirs. Also, all our female relatives have names we don't particularly love (Sheila or Barbara anyone???)

If we have a boy in the future he will have my Dad's name as a middle name, he died when I was 2 years old and we think it would be nice.
I think its nice to do this, but only if you like the names! I loved my mother's MN and tried to use it but DH was NO as he hated the name so that ended that. I didn't want to use any of my middle names (I have two) and decided once she was born that she was a "Paige" so my first name didn't suit so went for a name we loved which have a nice meaning linked to me. Her MN is Madison which means son of Matthew and Matthew would have been my name if I was born a boy.

DD2 we used a my SILs MN as DD2's MN as she has been such a great aunty and my DH want to do this for his sister and she was pretty stoked too.

So yeah, if you like a family name and it suits your first name choice...do it but otherwise don't. What you choose to name your kids is your choice and noone elses.

BTW....I reckon go for Bonnie Elizabeth wub
Sign in to follow this topic