Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

India or Indiah? Lock Rss

Hi all,
We are naming our baby Indiah Jillian (Jillian after my Mum) & last name starts with an R.
We will call her Indie also.
However in the last few days waiting for labour ive started to have doubts about the 'h'. I worry that she will constantly have to tell people 'theres a h on the end' & that maybe it makes the name a bit bogany.
But at the same time i feel like India might be perceived as a bit weird (we have no ties to the country, only The Doors songs which was what cemented it for us), so the 'h' gives it an identity above the country.
I know im overthinking things, but what are peoples thoughts? Hubby likes Indiah but he picked our sons name (Dylan Lennon) so im comfortable vetoing him if needed.
I'm usually a traditionalist too but in this case I think I actually prefer the spelling with the h on the end. I've always loved the name India but have never seen it spelt with an h. I really like it though. It's even given me an option for my baby! Indiah has my vote though!
Best of luck x
I tend to shun those silent and "decorative" additions to names (like extra H's etc) as I find them unnecessary and overly complicated and ahem "bogany" too. I vote India. Perfectly good name; why mess with it ?!
I have a India and people always ask how to spell it, I say just like the country. Makes it easy.
I'm a total traditionalist on spelling of names. My name is unusual and I detest having to always explain it and spell it to people. Both our children have very traditionally spelt names.

As a teacher I used to find it frustrating with all the alternative spellings and pronunciation too. There was a student called "Gaw-jah" Georgia. I thought it was just plain strange.
*mummsy* wrote:
There was a student called "Gaw-jah" Georgia. I thought it was just plain strange.

Yep, that is STRANGE!!!
Hmmm i think maybe i do like India better. I cannot believe people ask how to spell it - i would have assumed they would just spell it India unless otherwise told! Spelling these days is so neglected.
I am hoping she will 'speak' to me when she is born - am going to tell the nurse to write India on the card & that way i can decide to add the 'h' if i need to later.
Thank you for your input everybody smile
Had another thought. If you aren't sure about the name India/Indiah and you plan to call her Indie anyway, what about another similar and beautiful name : Indira ?
I prefer the traditional spelling - India.
Sign in to follow this topic