Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How would you spell it Rss

Hi,

We are having a little girl and my husband and I decided on a name a long time ago but never really thought about how to spell it, we went onto the babynames website a couple of days ago and printed her name out - it is technically spelt SIOBHAN, this is said as SHA-VAUGHN. I want to know if any one knows any other way to spell this name, My name is Nadene and is said as NAY-DEAN but people say NAR-DEAN or NID-DEAN and I have spent all my life correcting people and I hate it. I dont want my daughter to be the same. Any sugestions on name spellings?
HI, i really like that name that you have picked. If you are worried about the spelling don't be because even if it is spelt the way its pronounced people still get it wrong. My friend her name is Carrie and people pronounce it Kerry. You cought spell Siobhan shavaun. But nowdays names can be spelt any way you want.

karla, QLD, 2yo and 9mth girls

Hi,

It doesn't matter what your name is or how it is spelt people will always get it wrong. You have to spell it the way that you like it. In my baby book there is a spelling of this name as SHOUVAUGHN. It seems long. Siobhan is a unique spelling and it comes from Irish origins. I think you should keep the original... but follow your heart smile
Hi Nadene,
I love the name you have chosen. My suggestion is to spell it, Shivorne or Shavorne depending on how you would like it pronounced. I suggest to write down a list of all the different spellings of the name & choose the spelling that jumps out at you. We did this with our little girls name & although people often get the spelling wrong, I chose the spelling which looked most feminine to me.
Best wishes,
anniesmum
hi,
I worked with a girl whose name was spelt 'Chevon' ( which I think is lovely ) and I don't think it could be pronounced incorrectly!?

jenelle WA

G'day! My name is Nadine and is pronounced Nah-dean! I too have had my name pronounce everyway under the sun! No matter how you spell it you are still going to have people mis pronounce it so in the end it's a no win situation! Spell how you like it and hopefully people will pronounce it right!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

hiya, try the website called baby-express.com they have lots of different spellings. hope this helps.

Caitlin 19mths, Kiani 4mths.

I would spell it the original way as most people should know the pronunciation by reading it - if not it is their ignorance.

Even though the name you have chosen is lovely, it is one of those names that is going to require explanation on some level. People are either going to ask "how do you spell that" or "how do you pronounce that"? It's just the way people are, I'm afraid.

As mentioned by others, go with your instinct and choose whichever spelling feels right for you.

Good luck

D

mum-2 girls, 9mths & 3y.o.

we have friens with a sibhon but they say it sibon & usually call her bonnie you could spell it shavaunne

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I would spell it the original way as I would think most people these days know how its said and also I like the original spelling.

My daughters name is Meghan (pronounced Meg-gan) and she always gets Megan.

Cheers,
Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

its a gorgeous name i chose eilish as my daughters name and i wished i spelt it eilis' thats how its originally spelt but i spelt it eilish thought it would be easier for people to say but its made no difference.. spell it how you want to its a gorgeous name love the irish region.. we have a boys name chosen too...

spell it how you'd spell it i would spell it like its spelt in irish... but thats me.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

hi!

i love the spelling "siobhan" and think it is the prettiest way to spell it, but there are dozens of ways out there-just make up your own!
these are some i've some across and some i've made up...
shevaun
shavaun
chevaun
chevaunne
shevaunne
shehvaughn...?
sheh-vaun...?
shivawn...?

you can't go too wrong with phonetic spelling, but as people have said, any name can be spelt or said the wrong way. if you're going to choose and unusual or "different" name, you just have to be prepared to spell it or pronounce it for people.

my sons' names are:
*d'artagnan (dar-tan-yan)
*zakariah
*szajann (say-jan)
i actually love watching peoples reactions when they hear them or see them written down...it's all part of the fun for me and part of my passion for names!!!

anyways good luck! 8)

3 boy bundles of joy under 6, qld

Sign in to follow this topic