Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Please Help!! Rss

Hi Guys having issues with mum about what my bub, will call her. I like traditional things such as nan, grandma, nana etc. She insists on having something different and is coming up with horrible suggestions like pippi,ninni and gigi. please help!! when i was younger gigi was reffered to as a gigi horse. ANY!!!! Suggestions would be appreciated. Also my hubby and i are Still TOSSING UP about calling our bub either Jayla Jeanette or Jorgia Jeanette.. what do u think?

24 year old mum to 2 beautiful girls

My mother is called Ma because there is already a nanna & gran, and my husbands mum is call Nanamon because she wanted something slightly diffrent, but not to far off the traditional and seeing as her name is monica we choose Nanamon.

Jorgia Jeanette is such a pretty name.
Hi Rebecca

I'm not only having issues with my husbands gran about about unborns name but as with you my dad wants to be called something unusual - its not bothering me too much and my father in law wants to be refered to as his name MARK which I don't approve of.....

anyway my dad sent me a document with a whole bunch of names both made up and also from different cultures. I'm not sure how to attach it to this post so send me your email addy and I'll forward it to you - it might give you some ideas.

Same goes for anyone else who's interested or maybe tell me how to post it (too big to copy and paste I think although maybe not...)

Lots of Love

steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Rebecca
Congratulations!
I like Jorgia Jeanette. Tough one on what to have bub call grandparent, maybe u could suggest that u wait and see what comes from bub mouth..... (in baby talk) But that is har too cos u need somthing to start with. Sorry i cant be of much help.
I like the idea of my mum being called sumthing different... we are thinking of nonnie, im not sure i think it is European.
I think Steph has a good idea with the list, maybe u can share with granparents.
All the best.

Hi Stephanie
Im not sure on how or if u can attach to these posts but i am really intersted in the list. If u could send it to me my addy is aprilrip@hotmail.com
Thanks a heap.

Bris, Bubby Breannah 22.04.04 n Patrick 17.01.06

Thanks Steph that would be a great help my email address is sparkles_diamond@hotmail.com
Thanks again and best of luck with Mark!! smile

24 year old mum to 2 beautiful girls

My husband is South American so his mother is called Abuelita (grandmother in Spanish) and my mum is call Nanna. It will be interesting though to see how my boys pronounce it!!! Hopefully they will learn to speak both languages. I am just hoping they say MUM first!!! Good luck.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

Hi there,

I wont be much help to you but... my daughter will only ever be fortunate enough to have one set of grandparents as both my parents died when I was quite a bit younger. My daughter will only ever have her nanna and poppy on her daddy's side. It is not really a tragedy to not know what to call all those people who will love and adore your baby.

You should have your child call them what ever YOU want your child to call them. How rediculous having all those grown ups demanding they be called those silly names that will only confuse your child anyway.

As for your name choices I really like Jorgia Jeanette. (Sorry if my reply sounds a little harsh, I mean no ill intentions)
Hi
I had the same problem. I now regret asking the grandparents what they would like to be called. I did the polite nice thing too.
I asked if they could be called anything but Ma and Pa.
The reason why is that my husbands name is Mark and my sisters husband is Mark as well. My sisters little boy kept getting confused between Ma and Mark. So my mum was called Ma and she changed it from Ma to Nanna. Also I don’t like Ma also because it is too close to Mum. And that’s my name!
My boys have 3 sets of grandparents and 2 sets of great-grandparents + one great-grandfather (my husbands adopted).
Then I had kids. 2 grandparents were ok with it and the other (adoptive in-laws) said yes to our face and then over the years has been changing it to Ma and Pa. We tell our boys to say Grandma and Grandpa to them. So the poor boys are getting confused. Believe me this is not the only way they deify our wishes!
I just keep reminding myself they are my kids and I can raise them how I want too. Also not to feel guilty about it. They had their time as parents and now it’s our time
I'm lucky the rest of the grand-parents are fantastic!

mum of 3

Hi again

I forgot to say that I love the name Jayla.
Can I use that if I am fortunate to have a little girl?

mum of 3

Hi Rebecca,
People have always gotta make things difficult don't they! It's not like we don't have plenty of other dilemmas to face when having little ones tongue I just wanted to say that in my family we just have the old run of the mill titles like nan, pop, grandma etc but when my uncle was starting to talk, he used to call my great grandmother 'Nonny'. Apparently he couldn't ( or more than likely didn't want to) call her nanny or Grandma, so Nonny it was & it stuck. Hope that helps smile

Kylie, Tas, 3y/old boy & Expecting no.2

Hi Rebecca,
Oh yeah... my mother in-law wanted to be called Granmia(her name is Mia) But I just said no straight out. I dont want my son to call her something weird. So we decided Granny and when he gets older he can call her Gran which I like.
My mum is called Nonna as she is Italian.
Also I love the name Jorgia! You have to think of cool nicknames!
All the best.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

My mother in law didn't want to be called nanna or grandma either as she felt that she was too young to be called that so she chose Mema which is apparently african for nana. My father in law is called Grandy by my girls. I like the sound of Jayla Jeanette I like unusual names my girls names are Cyndell and Payton.

Karen, 2 girls, 1 boy and 1 due edd 23.10.07

Sign in to follow this topic