Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Please Help!! Rss

Rebecca just a suggestion,i called one set of grand parents by their last name as in nanna and pop roberts .I had a similar go with my youngest having five lots of grand parents .
Tania
Sam 11/1/86
Conrad 8/04/01
EDD23/09/04
Hi Rebecca,

Had the same problem with my mum!! Did not want Nan, Nanny or Grandma etc as she felt it was too old, & she is still a young grandma!!
Because we are Irish, we have settled on the Irish name for Nana which is "mamo". (Nice & easy for bub to say). There is a name for Grandma in Gaelic, but I have no idea how to say it, let alone teach the baby how to say it, so Mamo it will be. Fortunately, my dad is happy with Poppa or Grandad, so no battles there!!!

Good luck smile

Ambs, Mummy to Aidan (born March 04)

Hi Rebecca, I wouldn't be too concerned about it all. My Mum was the same when I was expecting my first..she was forever coming up with strange names. I didn't say anything except 'no i don't like that one'. She kept coming back with more, but when the baby was born I just kept referring to her as nan. She was that happy that the baby was healthy she didn't end up caring what she was called.
All the best!

Sheree, mum to 2 plus 1 on the way (dd 31-5-06)

Hi Rebecca,

I think when the baby grows up, she should make up her mind into what she would like to call her/him.

I remember when my niece was born, i refused for her to call me Auntie. Then when she grew up, she called me Auntie diane because that was by choice and she felt comfortable with it.

My niece calls my dad nannu apsu (goes back to a family joke years and years ago) and he gets a big blast out of that!!!!!

Just wait and see what happens - u have at least a year to go before she starts to talk smile

DD, VIC baby due soon

kodeybear@hotmail.com
i'd love to see the list too. it'd be fantastic

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi
Sorry I just looked at the date you would have alreay had your daughter, I hope everything went as well as my lobour did. I liked Jorgia anyway. Enjoy your baby, they grow up 2 fast
Dylans mum

belinda,vic 8mth baby

My children chose what to name my mum and my grandmother their selves..... you would be surprised what they do..... My mum was the same she wanted something different cause she ws to 'young' to be a grandmother......

so i said i like the traditional... my children are half latin so to their dads mum its ok they say it in spanish......
I told my mum the girls will call you nuna (its culture type thing) and they would call my grandmother what i call her (Grandma)

My children are old enough to talk on the phone and when they see my mum.......
SHE GETS CALLED "GRANDMA"
and my grandmother gets called "NANNY"

the child will choose its self i guees
i never relised this was such an issue. i thought i was the only one. my mother-in-law has this problem with how people should be addressed and that is it. i on the other hand did not want my little one telling her friends at school (when shes older) that she stayed at gayles for the night!! so it became quite a struggles to come up with something, and so Nanu it is!!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Hi
My family on my mother's side has a tradtion of not using the names nanna or grandma. My grandmother is known as Nandy and my mother chose Narnie when my son was born. They both wanted 'different' names as they were both relatively young when they became grandparents.

We called my grandmother on my father's side Grandma Gwen, as that was her name, if that is of any help at all!

If you are still having trouble with choosing the name for your daughter, why not wait until she arrives and give her a day or two before figuring out which one suits her best!?

Good luck.

Amy, ACT

people i used to know called their nan ABBEY her name was barbra so who knows how they came up with that. i think it was also because she was a grandmother at 36yrs and maybe it made her feel old to be called nan . ?????????

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

we call our grandmother on my mothers side 'nin'. her name is nancy smile and my late grandfather was for some reason called popof, but it was only my older brother who met him, he died 8 weeks after i was born. i get the impression that my brother was trying to call him popeye smile

cheers

denni

sahm to 5 midgit circus freaks

Hi all.

My parents are known as Mimmy and Pappy. They decided they would like something different when I was pregnant with my daughter. Mum says that when I first started to talk instead of Mummy I used to say Mimmy - therefore it has quite a bit of emotional significance behind it. As for Pappy my Dads name is Pat, so Pappy just seemed to fit. My hubbys parents are Ma and Pa.
As for the names you have chosen I love Jorjia, we actually had it picked if we have a girl but we found out we are expecting a boy. Jorjia is really pretty but so common at the moment. I really really love Jayla!!! But this is just my opinion and the final decision will be yours.
Good Luck
Nadine
Sign in to follow this topic