Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Hospital Bag Lock Rss

Hiya,

I'm a first time mum and I am unsure of what to pack in my bag...the hosptial has given me a basic list, but I was wondering if people have any other things that might be packed...your help would be greatful.

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah, VIC, Hayden James born 5/12/05

Hi! Here's a list of things I've got packed in my bag:

Early maternity clothes for me - your stomach doesn't go straight away & you may be as big as you were at around 25wks so don't put in your pre-preg clothes like I did with my first & pack enough for 5 days in hospital (in case of c-sec). It's also nice not to be in your PJ's when people take pics of you & bubs.

0000-000 outfits for bubs - I dont know what I'm having so I've got a white bonds suit, a boys outfit & a girls outfit. (the hospital has plenty of singlets)

A wrap for bubs - they have blankets in the hospital but I'm taking one of my own cos it's more personal.

A newborn latex dummy - personal choice but my son used to suck for over an hour just for fun & it took me 6wks to get him off of me after a feed & onto a dummy. Latex are softer than silicone.

Cucumber under-eye cream - I don't want to look exhausted when my visitors come & want pics.

A good book - for the little tiny snipits of you time you get when bubs is asleep & there are no guests.

Towel - I'm taking my own because the ones at the hospital are tiny & didn't go around me 2wks ago (@33wks)

Camera
Video Camera
Address book - no forgotten phone calls
Mobile phone
Change for phone, TV, & snacks
Shaver
Shampoo & Conditioner
My favourite shower gel
Basic Makeup - concealer, lipgloss, eye pencil just to make me feel a little better than bare & tired.
Breast pads
Maternity Pads - the hospital have them but they are like cotton surfboards & that's being nice!

I know I took heaps more stuff woth my son but I honestly didn't use any of it, these are the practical things. Hope I've been helpful.

CJ

CJ, SJ 3/03, AJ 11/05, PJ 4/08

maybe slippers? i'm sure the hospital floor is cold.

this is a good topic coz i'm starting to pack my hospital bag now and dont have much of an idea of what to pack.

oh....if you do pack any clothes for the baby, a midwife told me be careful to not get your babies clothes mixed in with the clothes you get from the hospital. apparently they can accidently go in with the hospitals laundry and if that happens you'll never see them again. but you really dont need to take any clothes for the baby unless you really want to. the hospital supplies you with baby clothes. but a nice outfit to take the baby home in is nice.
Best things I took were a pack of cheap comfy undies cos u bleed HEAPS to start, and you can just throw these away, cottonelle toilet paper cos the hospital stuff on tender bits is excruciating, and snack stuff because i get ravenous when breastfeeding. Also a pump water bottle, sounds odd but if you have stitches fill it with warm salty water before you go to the toilet and rinse the stitches with it and pat dry, it keeps them much less swollen and sore.

Kelly, 22, 1 @ 25/1/04, 2 @9/3/05, 1@5/4/06

Hi
the things i found most useful were a pen and notepad as well as a good supply of snack food! as well as your normal brand of tissues for the 3or 4 day blues i found the hospital ones are just painful after the 3rd blow!
violet

Charlie 5, Imee 3, Laura 13mths, and ttc #4!

Hi,

You might have already had your bub by now but just wanted to suggest you take socks. My feet were freezing during labour!

I also agree with the tennis ball, fabulous for hubby to massage your back without getting a sore hand.\

Good luck
Bri

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

Sign in to follow this topic