Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

placenta Lock Rss

it didnt hurt me when i pushed out the placenta- it looked pretty cool, like meat with veins! if you can grab a look at it i know its sounds freaky but its pretty cool lol
My placenta took 21 minutes even with the injection and I did have to give a good push and the midwife gave a little tug, but is was not painful just annoying that it took so long.
i think that it looks like an ugly liver, but i only got a small glimpse of it, more interested in baby.
I had trouble passing the placents with both my kids, took over an hour each time and was nearly taken into surgery both times to remove it.Doc had to basically rip it out with DD (TMI) and with DS i had to push it out, hurt a bit but nothing major.
We have pics of the placenta from DD ( doc was excited as to how perfect it was) and like someone else said it looks like a balloon sort of, its not gross or anything

Nothing to see here folks!!

I didn't have to push, my body's contractions just got it out. I didn't feel it going out, although I knew that something had come out. I asked the midwife as soon as she mentioned the placenta had to come next if I would have to push or not. She said it varies with everyone. The most important part is that it all comes out. You don't want any of it left behind as this will interfere with breastfeeding if that's what you intend to do. My DH saw it and reckons it looked like something out of a horror flick. He said you could see the veins and it was all purple and stuff. I never saw it myself.

I have all 3 of my kid's placentas in the freezer!..We asked to keep all of them(Yes, the let you at request) because in my husbands culture (cook island maori), they wrap them in a 'pareau'-'sarong' to us aussies and plant it under a baby coconut tree or other special plant.It is very symbolic to them for the beginning of a new life as the nutrients nuture the growth. Anyway, with my boy's I got the injection in the thigh (didn't feel a thing, they do it as the baby is born) and the midwife gently massaged and they basically slid out..They look like large livers with blood vessels and a thick membrane-which is the outer part of the bag of waters that the baby lies in.After they are delivered the midwife checks them to make sure they are complete and have no abnormalities.
Hope this helps...
Delivering the placenta was one of my favourite parts of the whole labour/birth thing. I don't remember pushing it out (I may have but dont remember it) I was given the oxytocin (or whatever - we give oxytocin to cows hehe) straight after DD was born and then a couple of minutes later there it was.

The only way I have found to describe it is that I felt so empty and light after it was out. I felt not a lot different after Riley was born, but after the placenta came out it was awesome. hehe.

My placenta was in tact but the membranes were ragged and although I had no problems, if bits are left behind it can cause infections. As I said, it didn't for me, all the bits came out by themselves!

Hi, when I had my daughter, the placenta came out fairly quickly after her. I think it was only about 5 minutes (felt like that quick anyway) and the midwives had told me about 20 minutes. I don't think I had to push and it definitely didn't hurt. I didn't have any pain relief except a bit of gas for about half an hour during my labour and birth so I felt everything. My explanation of what I think it looked like would be a liver. It's kinda like a sack though and the midwives/nurses have to examine it to make sure it's all out. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and your labout and birth.
Amz

no it doesn't hurt birthing your placenta and yes you do have to push it out and it kind of looks like a flat uncooked corned beef its quite gross and many nurses ask if you want to keep it i know i was asked and i replied "you've got to be kidding thats disgusting" and she said that many people actually choose to keep it. YUK!!

NOT TO SCARE YOU!!! BUT MINE DIDNT COME OUT IT MADE A HOME IN THERE AND STUCK IT SELF TO THE SIDE, AFTER 1.5 HOURS OF PALLING AND PUSHING IT DIDNT COME OUT!!! I LOST TO MUCH BLOOD SO I TOOK THE EASY WAY OUT AND GOT PUT TO SLEEP AND THAY TOOK IT OUT FOR ME!!!!
i don't want to scare you either but i've heard of that happening before as well as it falling apart but i was told that it only happens in something like one in a thousand women or something like that.
[Edited on 19/01/2008]

mine also didnt want to come out.... ive heard of a lot of people in the same situation. i had the urge to push but it wouldnt budge... i did have the needle but it didnt help and the doctor pulled and pulled at it and that didnt help... i didnt feel him doing this, my DH told me he was.... i was about to get wheeled into theatre to have it removed and a new midwife walked in and asked if they had made me squat, which they hadnt... so they got me up and made me squat on the bed and it just fell out. it just slides out... it doesnt hurt. just remember that if if happens to u.... ask them if u can squat before they try and wheel u off to theatre coz its better 4 u if it comes out naturally!

At the end of the day, if you've just delivered a baby with a 30+cm head, getting a slimy squishy placenta out is no trouble! Provided you dont have some of the problems other ladies have listed on here. It's really not worth worrying about.
Sign in to follow this topic