Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. What do you classify as NATURAL BIRTH

What do you classify as NATURAL BIRTH Rss

i work full time and was just having a discussion with my colleagues...... which i must say are all MALES................

We were talking about NATURAL BIRTH........
two of them consider natural birth as NO DRUGS AT ALL......

if you have a drug then your baby is cosidered that birth Meaning:

GAS BABY
PETHADINE BABY,
ETC

What to you is a Natural Birth??????????
In that case I had an Epidural Baby. I had 41 hours of labour, 36 at home then went to the hospital. After 36 hours I was only 5cm dilated. I couldn't handle the pain any more so I had the epidural which let me sleep for the first time in three days. The epidural wore off and I pushed my 9lb baby girl into the world with no pain relief.
I've been told I didn't have a 'natural' labour/birth because I had an epidural, but there is nothing natural about a 9lb posterior baby, and if I hadn't had the epidural I doubt if I would have been able to deliver vaginally because I was so exhausted. So Iconsider I had a natural birth, and apart from the epidural I had no other interventions

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

I would say that they are natural births with pain relief.

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

I agree with stephanie, if you have pain releif but deliver vaginally without forseps or vaccuum, it would be natural birth with pain releif.

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

doesnt matter what type of pain relief you have . to me there r only 2 types

natural birth. when the baby is delievered vaginally

or

a c-section. which is an operation. in the same catagory as heart surgery. this isnt natural cause u get cut with a knife (which is what i had)

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Personally i dont think using pain releif is natural (not saying that most woman dont NEED it though!)
I think when people talk about natural birth they would mean vaginally without pain releif.

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

dunno i'd say natural is vaginal birth. i just asked my fiance and he agrees. a natural birth dont matter on drug consumption or anything as long as its vaginal. its funny that the men at work are like that you see them when they get a cold could you imagine them pushing a 8pound 14 baby out a small opening in them???? without drug/pain relief???
i dont bloody think so.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

i would also think that natural is refered to a vaginal birth whether it be drug assisted or not.

In my case I too had an epidural, which was lucky for me because in the end my baby was in the posterior position which means I could not have pushed it out so they used the forceps and 28 stitches later out he came. If you ask me there is nothing natural about that!! lol

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

i gave birth to my baby without any drugs at all...but lucky for me it was a quick labor. would i do it again..under the same circumstances,for sure.

kimara, qld, 8mth baby

good for you kimarak!! I have been led to believe, that a 'natural' birth, is a vaginal birth without the assistance of drugs or instruments. A lot of people I have spoken to, say that they plan on going drug free through labour, but when it comes down to it, very few (to my knowledge), actually do. I reckon, as long as you get a healthy baby at the end of the labour, it doesn't matter what you take to help you through the process!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hi Kimarak,
I too gave birth with out drugs at all and although Neena was almost 10 pounds, i too had a quick delivery, only 4 hours from first contaction to placenta delivered,
Im just scared to have another one in case Im not so lucky!!!!!!!!!
But i think the pain was manageable and copeable for me and i will try to do it drug free again!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

To me a natural birth is drug free I'm due in 3 months and using the birthing room at the hospital which is no drugs so wish me luck as this is my first and I have ni idea what to expect........

Sarah, NSW Joshua born 4.07.04, due 29.03.06

Sign in to follow this topic