Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Anti - E antibody Rss

I am 38 weeks pregnant, and have just been told i have Anti - E antibodys. This means nothing to me, my mid wife tried explaining it and said it basically only effects me not my baby, however she had only ever had 1 other case of it. But when i went to Google (got to love google) it said it would effect my baby not me. I just wanting to know if anyone has had it or knows anything about it.
please help!!!!

hey
i had this, as I am a negative blood type.

it basically means, if your baby is a positive blood type, it can affect your baby if you are a negative blood type but if your partner is a negative bloodtype your baby should be negative also.
You should be given an Anti-D injection, to help prevent your antibodies attacking your baby.
I think the only thing it can do to a mum is if the blood from baby goes into mum, mum can have problems in her next pregnancy.
this is what i have taken from my baby book:
"when the cells from the baby's blood mix with the cells from mum, for example during delivery, the mums blood becomes sensitized. when the Rh factor from baby's blood enters mums blood stream, it acts as an antigen and stimulates anti-rhesus-positive antibodies. These will attack and destroy the blood cells of her next Rhesus-positive (incompatable) baby. this can cause haemolytic disease of the newborn and infants infected with blood conditions ranging from mild jaundice to serious possibly fatal anaemia. Most fetuses who develop the disease can often be saved by intauterine blood transfusion"

it says all women who are rhesus negative should be offered an Anti-D injection at 28 and 34 weeks of pregnancy and after delivery of a RH-positive baby.

So basically, you should have been given that Anti-D injection, and one within 48hours after birth (if your partner is a positive blood type) which will help prevent any further complications happening to subsequent pregnancies.

I had the injections at 28 and 34 weeks, and was due to have the injection after birth, but because my partner is the same blood type as me (negative) it didnt matter as it made our DD a negative bloodtype.

So maybe make the father have a bloodtest to see what his bloodtype is?

I so hope this made sense to you,(its late lol) and that its correct, maybe others can confirm/correct this??

good luck, not long till you meet your lil one!! gasp)

The above is correct for Rh-ve women, but you've been told you have Rh E antibodies. So what the pp said would be the normal treatment for your average woman who's Rh-ve and has D antibodies. But if you go on to be tested for antibodies, they then get separated into groups. So a Rh-ve woman could have c, C, D, e or E antibodies. And that's as much as I know sorry. It gets really confusing from there. Some are more common than others and I think if your antibody levels stay stable they will just monitor you but if they increase there's different treatments based on the specific antibodies.

Sorry I don't know any more. Maybe you can write down some questions for your midwife?
[Edited on 22/01/2009]

I have Anti E too!!But I found out when I was 8weeks pregnant & worried about it the entire time. I just gave birth to my daughter last week on 19th Jan 2009. She was induced 2 weeks early to avoid problems with anemia. I was frustrated too when nothing showed up in a google search. I only managed to find one person on a yahoo forum who had been through it herself in America. If you want more info please email me tinaco@bigpond.net.au and I will forward you what infomation she sent to me.
My advice is don't worry about it until you have to. My daughter still has high jaundice which is a very common side effect because she does have big E in her blood. They will test your babys blood when born. I would just make the doctors aware you do have Anti E & the 2 main things they need to check for in baby is anemia & jaundice. Make sure you get the midwifes to keep checking for jaundice & get the baby straight onto the phototherapy lights if needed

Have you been having blood tests to check the titre levels? This helps the doctors know if at risk for high anemia (which is like heart failure in a newborn). It is still very unlikely to happen even if baby does make big E. I also had MCA doppler ultrasounds to check the baby's blood flow in the babys brain.
After all the blood tests and ultrasounds it showed she was not high anemia.
Best of luck please let me know how you go. I am still back & forth to the hospital with blood tests for her jaundice but I am confident Tilly will be fine as will your baby.
It is nice to know you are not alone.
Regards Tina

MissNisku

If anyone is the wiser now, I would love to hear from you. I did find this answer that helped a bit:
https://www.babble.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-anti...
Sign in to follow this topic