Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Caesarean Births Lock Rss

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware whether you can opt for a caesarean birth as a public hospital patient?

I know this isn't the preferred birthing method of most Mums2B, but after tearing with my first child 15 years ago and discovering that the tear opens a little and bleeds every time I have sex, I find that I have a real phobia of giving birth vaginally!

Am I within my rights to ask for a caesarean? Or, as a public patient, do I just have to "do whatever the hospital tells me to"?

Nicole - WA - Mummy to 2 Girls (16yrs & 9mths)

YOU ARE WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS PUBLIC OR PRIVATE I HAD A SECOND DEGREE TEAR BUT LUCKILY I DID NOT FEEL MYSELF TEAR ITS YOUR BIRTH YOUR CHOICE PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT

Lillie....1 year old!!!

I think after you have had a bad natural birth experience you can opt for a C-Section whether private or public, as my friend has given birth 3 times natually and her last was very awful had some problems and now she is opting for a C-Section and her Obs was happy to do so in the public hospital.

Do you have visit a Obs or do you do your visits through the hospital? I have an Obs but he works at the public hospital also but I see him in his rooms and then he does the operations at the public hospital and I had the best treatment /care I could ever ask for both times and had my obs do the operations and then he visited me each day after the surgery it was like I was a private patient even though I wasn't. So I think it just depends on hospital rules etc, but best to check and go through your history with them. Goodluck

Hi there,

Now my 1st isn't due for a couple weeks yet but i opted for a caesarean myself, my doctor wasn't overly pleased & tried to tell me i needed a medical reason but in fact i didn't.

I do have a genuine reason in my mind for having one but as far as i know, you can elect whatever you like & if that is what you want then let them know you want a C.

My old doctor originally told me that i could have what i wanted & i was tempted to go back through him but the current OB decided to go ahead with my C & then last appointment he booked me in.

Just let your dr know you want one & why you want one (if he asks) coz you can have whatever you like since it's your body!

Kel, SA, Mum to Lillian Rose - 06/06/06

Nicole

I just had a c section at King Edward. Must say that the staff and facilities at KEMH are fantastic. We had previous daughter at St John of God Subiaco, but experience was better at KEMH. We just had twins (3 weeks ago) so had to go to KEMH. I am sure that if you explain your reasons they will agree to a c section. Just make sure that if you go into labour before the c section you get to the hospital as quickly as possible. A friend had a planned c section booked, but went into labour naturally and the midwifes convinced her to try to have the baby naturally becuase she was'doing so well'. She ended up having an emergency c section after 20 hours in labour.

Elizabeth

Hi

Yes you can opt for a caesarean birth as a public hospital patient. I am due to have my 3rd baby on 25th July and they actually asked me if I wanted a caesar or natural birth. My first baby was a caesar because he was breech and I delivered my second baby naturally, but had a very long and hard delivery so I decided to have a caesar with this one, and there were no questions asked.

Cheers Tracey.
Sign in to follow this topic