Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Anyone scared of the Epidural? Lock Rss

DH and I have been deadset on having an edpidural for the birth of this second baby due to not having a very good time with our first. THe thing is, the closer i get to our due date, the more fearful i am of having a needle in my spine.

I have never heard of anyone being permanently effected by it but i do hear alot from other mums saying how hard it is not to move when it is being done and how painful.

So just wondering if anyone else felt like me and still went through with it and was happy with the outcome.

Thanks.
I actually went in the birthing unit and told them i dont want it, i was induced and things were getting full on when i said i wanted it, when i was curled over i was more breathing thru contractions and not even concentrating on wat the doctor was doing, i felt a tiny little sting as the local went in, then just a little pressure but nothing else, within 30 minutes i couldnt feel anything and i was asleep! best thing i did during labour, but i recommend talking to your midwife when you get their about wanting it as sometimes the doctor isnt available to do it straight away but if she can call them then u might get it early, or they might make you wait a little, but good luck on the birth of your little one, im sure you'll be fine, oh and i had the epidural and i HATE needles and am terrified of them but i did not move, just had a little back pain the next few days at the spot.

hi there

yeah i was very uncomfortable leaning over onto my partner whilst the epi was being done and whilst having contractions at the same time. but it worked a charm and i loved it. the only part that really hurt me (no joke!) was when the baby was born a few hours later when they removed the tube from my back and all the tape and padding on my back- it was like a huge back wax when they pulled it off. ouch! i had my daughter 3 years ago and i still get dull aches in the epi spot in my back but i have a curvature in my spine that contributes to the pain smile

Heidi 3 years & Annika 4 days

I was in the same situation as the first person who replied. I got induced in the birthing centre, was also deadset...no ones putting a needle in my spine but contractions came on so quick and fast i didn't care in the end, i just wanted some pain relief.

My bub was born emergency c-sect in the end so i would've needed an epidural or spinal block anyway. I've had no problems since the birth.

Good luck with your baby's arrival.

Well I'm not going to be much help here LOL but with the experience I had with mine I would rather give birth 10 times than have another epidural EVER.

By the time I was given the epi my contractions were off the chart and coming every minute. The doctor told me to sit on the edge of the bed and lean over and arch my back and to SIT STILL. Not easy with a full-term pregnant belly and having contractions like that. When he put the fluid in to seperate the discs I had a really bad reaction, I screamed so loud and told him to f off and not touch me. He said he'd been an anesthetist for 15 years and never seen anybody react as badly as I did. For me, the pain of the birth was nothing compared to the pain the epidural caused me, and I will NEVER EVER have another one. It worked really well, and I dosed for a few hours after it was in, but the pain to get it in is so not worth it to me!

Obviously I'm a minority, but just thought I would let you know my experience as its good to hear from both sides. Also I still sometimes get back pain if I've been standing/walking for a while which I never used to get before I had the epi.
Good luck for your birth though, hope it all goes well!

Posted by: Addi_angel
The doctor told me to sit on the edge of the bed and lean over and arch my back and to SIT STILL. Not easy with a full-term pregnant belly and having contractions like that. When he put the fluid in to seperate the discs I had a really bad reaction, I screamed so loud and told him to f off and not touch me. He said he'd been an anesthetist for 15 years and never seen anybody react as badly as I did. For me, the pain of the birth was nothing compared to the pain the epidural caused me, and I will NEVER EVER have another one.

'Gulp'
Hi there
I had a epidural with both my babies births. I have no complaints about it. It is honestly just wonderful lol!
With DD1 i got it, at i think 4cm, it was a very slow, hard, long labour! It didnt hurt at all getting it put in. And had no problems after the birth! Im glad i had it with her, she ended up being a big bub (im a small person lol) with a big head to. I had sooo much trouble pushing, it seemed like hours and hours, so i had it topped up and she got sucked out, and i tore and bleed heaps, but i didnt feel a thing smile thank god! I was up and walking few hours after that!

With DD2 i had it at 6-7cm, contractions coming every 2 mins. And it didnt last that long, i think only 1 hour. They wouldnt top it up as then it was time to start pushing, thank god this time didnt take that long haha only 20 mins of pushing and she was out, no assistance needed this time, tho she was alot smaller (2 pounds smaller from DD1 and only 32cm head) so i got to feel EVERYTHING this time around! I was up and walking after the birth!

i recommend it! its great! you do hear horror stories, but i tried not to listen to them, every body and every birth is different! you do what you want to do!

Getting the epi is nothing compared to the pain of the contractions!
i have hasd epi for a couple of my babies, i never felt anything. they said there would be a little sting, but i didnt even feel that.. i could nnot have been happier. i went for a shower on my own a few hours later and the catheta came out bno worries at all... the thought of it is scary but i didnt think the actual epiwas a big deal, i made a point not to look at anything though, just do as i am told!
I am absolutely terrified of needles and with my first(C/S) the spinal kept hitting nerves and was horrendous! With my second they did an epidural and the local stung for a second but didn't even feel the epi, just a weird crackling up my spine(which I was sure was my spinal cord exploding lol) then its that numb feeling like the dentist. Its amazing how effective the pain relief is without changing your ability to think clearly! The only downside(IMO) was waiting for it to wear off so I could walk again!

I absolutely hate needles, but when i got to 7cm dilated, and finally the anaethatist came into the room, i was having contractions coming thick and fast. I didnt even feel the anasaetic or the epi needle going in, just when the wire hit my leg, that hurt a little. Epidurals are great, you really can enjoy your labour after having them. the only problem i had after was a numbish leg for a few days and a bit of a sore lower back, but ive had that since i was 15yrs old, so its probably just niggled that a bit. honestly, do yourself a favour and get one if thats what you want, that way you can enjoy the miracle of birth. i just wish i could have had my epidural earlier so i could have enjoyed it more!

good luck with your labour and birth!

thank you for all the replies. Looks like the positives far out weigh the negatives, thank god!
I've had 2. For my second bub i had an anaethetist that did not boss me around enough and was too busy chatting to the midwives. You want someone rude not chatty! Cos when u r in full on contractions you need them to tell u exactly when they are inserting things so can hold v still. I had alot of nerve pain from my 2nd epi but with my 1st bub it was fine. But now i'm ok, and will no doubt have another epi with bub3 due oct.

So if you do have one with bub2 and don't feel comfortable with the dr, speak up and ask them to tell u whatis happening.

good lukc! and they do make things ALOT easier!
Sign in to follow this topic