Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. 39.5 weeks bubs spine on spine - Did yours turn b4 birth?

39.5 weeks bubs spine on spine - Did yours turn b4 birth? Lock Rss

Our bubs in now back to being spine on spine (head down), our ob said that 80% of babies do change position in labour, did this happen to many other people?
I don't know if you are already following Optimal Fetal Positioning to get your baby to turn but here is a list of how to help your baby turn before and during labour. Your baby can turn still just before you start pushing as well. Most babies will take a few days to turn when you are working hard on getting him to turn [b]The baby’s back is the heaviest side of its body. This means that the back will naturally gravitate towards the lowest side of the mother’s abdomen. So if your tummy is lower than your back, e.g. if you are sitting on a chair leaning forward, then the baby’s back will tend to swing towards your tummy. If your back is lower than your tummy, e.g. if you are lying on your back or slouching on a sofa, then the baby’s back may swing towards your back. Avoid positions which encourage your baby to face your tummy. The main culprits are said to be lolling back in armchairs, sitting in car seats where you are leaning back or anything where your knees are higher than your pelvis. The best way to do this is to spend lots of time kneeling upright, or sitting upright, or on hands and knees. When you sit on a chair, make sure your knees are lower than your pelvis, and your trunk should be tilted slightly forwards.[/b] [b]Here are a few tips during pregnancy...[/b] [item]If you are watching television, do this while kneeling on the floor, over a beanbag, fitball or cushions, or sit on a dining chair. Try sitting on a dining chair backwards and if you need, prop some cushions under your bottom to ensure your pelvis is higher than your knees. [/item][item]Use yoga positions while resting, reading or watching television – for example, tailor pose (sitting with your back upright and soles of the feet together, knees out to the sides). While we are on the topic of Yoga, taking classes in general are wonderful for the pregnant woman! [/item][item]Sit on a wedge cushion in the car, so that your pelvis is tilted forwards. Keep the seat back upright [/item][item]Don’t cross your legs! This reduces the space at the front of the pelvis, and opens it up at the back. For good positioning, the baby needs to have lots of space at the front [/item][item] Don’t put your feet up unless your doctor has advised you to or you need a quick rest! Lying back with your feet up encourages posterior presentation. [/item][item] Sleep on your side, not on your back. [/item][item] Avoid deep squatting in late pregnancy, which opens up the pelvis and encourages the baby to move down, until you know he/she is the right way round. It is useful later in labour though! [/item][item]Swimming with your belly downwards is said to be very good for positioning babies – not backstroke, but lots of breaststroke. Breaststroke in particular is thought to help with good positioning, because all those leg movements help open your pelvis and settle the baby downwards. [/item][item] A fitball can encourage good positioning, both before and during labour. Opt to sit on a fitball over a chair [/item][item] Various exercises done on all fours can help, eg wiggling your hips from side to side, or arching your back like a cat, followed by dropping the spine down. [/item][b]What to do when baby is posterior during labour[/b] You may try your hardest to get your baby into a good position, but he may be determined to stay the way he is - if so, there are things you can do in labour to help a posterior baby to be born. The majority of babies who experience a posterior labour, actually start labour in an ideal position, and then turn posterior while you are in labour. Gardberg found that 68% of posterior babies took this route. This seems very unfair - but if it happens, these tips should still help. These movements can help the baby wriggle through your pelvis, past the ischial spines inside it, by altering the level of your hips. They are also helpful if the baby is anterior but has a presentation problem, eg his head is tipped to one side (asynclitic). [item]In early labour, walk up stairs - sideways if you need to. [/item][item]Rock from side to side [/item][item]March or 'tread' on the spot [/item][item]Step on and off a small stool [/item][item]Climb in and out of a birth pool [/item][b]For the second stage: [/b] [item]Use kneeling or all-fours positions. Kneeling on one knee can help. [/item][item]Supported squatting in second stage, but you must be lifted quite high up; your bottom should be at least 45cm (18 inches) off the floor. [/item][item]Birth stool seats should be at least 45cm (18 inches) from the floor. [/item][item]Avoid lying on your back, semi-reclining, sitting or semi-sitting. These positions all reduce the available space for the baby to turn. Lying on the side is OK. [/item]

Hi, thanks. Yes I have been doing the cat stretches / rocking my pelvis and sitting on a swiss ball and basically been staying on all fours when I can while at home. I now understand what an animal sees at this level in the house! (and how dirty our floor can get). Just hoping it will change position.
Nope, my little girl remained posterior until she was turned by forceps during birth! I was very unlucky tho by the sounds of it - have heard the majority of babies turn before or during birth by themselves, and as PP has suggested you could TRY and turn the bub yourself by watching telly on all fours for 10 mins twice a day until birth, but my Obs has advised me there really isn't anything you can do to definately turn bub to an anterior position before birth. It can also depend on a lot of things, incl the shape of your pelvis.
I wish you all the best tho and really hope your little one turns for you smile Good luck!

I remember having the same problem with my daughter and during my labor they had me leaning over bean bags and chairs and my daughter DID turn during labor. Good luck and hope it happens for you too !!

]

i had a posterior labour and the midwife made me lay on my left side later on in labour and bub turned and i knew she had as i could feel i needed to push so yes it can happen even that late into labour

any reason for the left hand side? this baby going via all our scans for appt (ob has got a u/s in his rooms, changed from 1/2 left handside/ 1/2 spine on spine and via versa on the right handside especially in the last four weeks. I am very active / going to the gym and exercising etc and I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Sign in to follow this topic