Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. older sibling upset by birth and hospital stay

older sibling upset by birth and hospital stay Rss

Hi everyone,

I have a DD who is 6. Big gap I know, long story.

Anyhow, last night my DD drew a picture and brought it out to me crying. It was a picture of her crying with a speech bubble saying "my mum is gone, i am sad" on it.

I felt just terrible and she is already stressing and having nightmares about my 4 -5 day stay in hospital (I'm having a booked cs)

Any ideas on how to make it easier for both of us?

I have told her I will have treats for her when she comes to visit at hospital and that we can do colouring-in when she visits while hubby watches bubs.

It seems to be the anticipation and lead up but everyone is counting down (including me-I'm so over being pregnant!)

She is very excited and can't wait to meet her little brother but the whole birth and hospital stay are causing many headaches.

HELP!!!!

Jo, DD 7yrs dance addict; little man 13 months

Hi There

What a dilema hey. I was lucky my kids loved being at the grand mothes so they were quite happy to wave me goodbye and they came in every day.

I had a small gift for each of them when they came into meet their baby brother. I don't know if this will help but maybe if you told her the baby wants to give her a pressy but that means you have to go to hospital to get the baby!!!!

Really sorry I am not much help but my kids thought it was pretty cool their baby bro had a pressy for them. I hope this helps a little.

Good Luck.

Your poor daughter! I wonder if you could make arrangements with the hospital for your daughter to have a tour of the maternity ward, including the nursery. If she can visulise where you are going it might take away some of the fear. I wonder if she has inadvertantly seen a scene on tv about hospitals that is making her scared?

I am sending you a big hug as I know it must be causing you anxiety as well.

Sign in to follow this topic