Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Baby is in posterior position! Lock Rss

I am just over 36 weeks and today learned that bubs is in posterior position. I was also told he might be early.

What are the chances he will turn into the right position by the time labour starts?? I heard that posterior births are really long and much more painful. This is my first baby. He is 2/5ths engaged already.

Thanks!
before my labour started with DS he was in the perfect position from the time they broke my waters till about 2 hours into labour I was in alot of pain I asked for the epidural which didn't work and thst when they discovered that in that short time DS had moved to posterior position so it was very painful which also made the epidural fail, in the end they couldn't turn him and I had a C section after 10 hours.
With all that being said anything can happen at the last minute you still have a couple of weeks for bub to move my fingers are crossed that bub moves and you have a smooth labour.
Good luck.

my first was posterior and noone knew until she was born, i had a very long painful labour...
things you can try now to turn bub is rock on all fours for a bit each day umm i forgot other things sorry lol
but if even in labour bub hasnt turned you can still try for normal delivery. your just better of being on all fours then on your back. posterior birth is bubs spine on yours so if your on your back thats alot of pressure KWIM?
fingers crossed bub moves for you

ds was posterior. Was a 10hr 40 min labour and honestly don't think it was ny worse the dd's which was only 2.5hrs.

I think spending time on your hands and knees can get bub to turn

i''''m baking a baby

hi my bub was in the posterior position and tried everything to turn him as i was terrified of a long labour, it turned out it was while i was in labour he half turned and came out with his head to the side. my labour wasnt too horrible it was 7 hours from 1st niggle and 45 mins of pushing. midwife also said alot of babies turn when they are engaged as they put pressure on your cervix.

calsmum

My 18month old was posterior. I did have a very long labour and it was painful although I have no others to compare it to. In the end I had an epidural and it was fantastic!!!
She never turned but when I was 36 weeks she was 3/5th so i was told that she would pull out and turn then engage again, but never did. She was born at 40 + 7 and the midwife said after she was born that she was older than that.
Good Luck,

No matter how they come out, its worth it in the end!!
Shannon
Well i have only had my DS but he was posterior and couldn't walk the last three weeks of pregnacy without a huge limp, i could tell you the excat timehe went into position, lol. i don't know if it makes it longer as i have nothing to compare it to but my labour was only 2.5 hours with 10 min of pushing. however my son did go into distress in pushing and i was two failed vacumns and a forceps later and he was out due to the fact his shoulders got stuck. i personally wouldn't be too worried but if i did have another posterior baby.
My DD2 was posterior for the last few weeks of pregnancy and also for the first few hours of labour, but came out the right way so she turned as she came down the birth canal.
If your worried about the position labour for as long as you can on your hands and knees, that position definitely gets babies in the right position to come out smile
My DD1 came out posterior because I laboured and gave birth lying on my back which I do not recommend at all!

The chances of your baby turning before labour will mostly depend on how much time you take out to help him turn but even hvaing said that some babies still may not turn until during labour so if you are doing the right things to help him turn during labour then the chances of him turning are very high. When your baby is in a posterior position, you can try to stop him/her from descending lower. You want to avoid the baby engaging in the pelvis in this position, while you work on encouraging him to turn around. Most babies take a couple of days to turn around when the mother is working hard on positioning. The baby’s back is the heaviest side of its body. This means that the back will naturally gravitate towards the lowest side of the mother’s abdomen. So if your tummy is lower than your back, e.g. if you are sitting on a chair leaning forward, then the baby’s back will tend to swing towards your tummy. If your back is lower than your tummy, e.g. if you are lying on your back or slouching on a sofa, then the baby’s back may swing towards your back. Avoid positions which encourage your baby to face your tummy. The main culprits are said to be lolling back in armchairs, sitting in car seats where you are leaning back or anything where your knees are higher than your pelvis. The best way to do this is to spend lots of time kneeling upright, or sitting upright, or on hands and knees. When you sit on a chair, make sure your knees are lower than your pelvis, and your trunk should be tilted slightly forwards. HERE are some more practical tips which you can do to help bubs turn... [list][item]If you are watching television, do this while kneeling on the floor, over a beanbag, fitball or cushions, or sit on a dining chair. Try sitting on a dining chair backwards and if you need, prop some cushions under your bottom to ensure your pelvis is higher than your knees. [/item][item]Use yoga positions while resting, reading or watching television – for example, tailor pose (sitting with your back upright and soles of the feet together, knees out to the sides). [/item][item]Sit on a wedge cushion in the car, so that your pelvis is tilted forwards. Keep the seat back upright [/item][item]Don’t cross your legs! This reduces the space at the front of the pelvis, and opens it up at the back. For good positioning, the baby needs to have lots of space at the front [/item][item]Don’t put your feet up unless your doctor has advised you to or you need a quick rest! Lying back with your feet up encourages posterior presentation. [/item][item]Sleep on your side, not on your back. [/item][item]Avoid deep squatting in late pregnancy, which opens up the pelvis and encourages the baby to move down, until you know he/she is the right way round. It is useful later in labour though! [/item][item]Swimming with your belly downwards is said to be very good for positioning babies – not backstroke, but lots of breaststroke. Breaststroke in particular is thought to help with good positioning, because all those leg movements help open your pelvis and settle the baby downwards. [/item][item]A fitball can encourage good positioning, both before and during labour. Opt to sit on a fitball over a chair. These are very cheap to find these days from around $15 or $20 at Kmart,Priceline or Crazy Clarks [/item][item]Various exercises done on all fours can help, eg wiggling your hips from side to side, or arching your back like a cat, followed by dropping the spine down. [/item][/list] [b]If your baby is posterior when you are in labour:[/b] These movements can help the baby wriggle through your pelvis, past the ischial spines inside it, by altering the level of your hips. They are also helpful if the baby is anterior but has a presentation problem, eg his head is tipped to one side (asynclitic). [list]In early labour, walk up stairs - sideways if you need to. Rock from side to side March or 'tread' on the spot Step on and off a small stool Climb in and out of a birth pool [/list] [b]The positions listed below may also help. For the second stage: [/b] [list]Use kneeling or all-fours positions. Kneeling on one knee can help. Supported squatting in second stage, but you must be lifted quite high up; your bottom should be at least 45cm (18 inches) off the floor. Birth stool seats should be at least 45cm (18 inches) from the floor. Avoid lying on your back, semi-reclining, sitting or semi-sitting. These positions all reduce the available space for the baby to turn. Lying on the side is OK. [/list] Also make sure you have some heat packs for labour incase you bubs is still posterior during labour also try having a warm shower on your back and also make sure your support people know how to do the [b]"Double Hip Squeeze"[/b] (look it up on the net to help you figure out how to do it) [item]More often as well posterior babies make it a bit harder to come "out" so make sure you AREN'T pushing on your back as this position already makes it harder on you to push but even more so when bub is in a difficult position-Usully on all fours or leaning over something is most prefered. Remember that also babies that have preferef posterior position during pregnancy sometimes like to turn at that last minute during labour so still keep in mind these tips even if bub has turned before your labour has started =) [/item][b]Hope that helps you, let us know how it all works out[/b]

hey my bubs was all round the right way up until i was in labour then she decied to go postier it was 1st baby nd labour lasted 20 hours nd 3 hours of pushing and bubs stil wudnt come out in the end i got an episomity and ventouse delivery

i felt somethin really strange toward the end of my second preg when i went for a check up bubs was breech in the end like right at the end she turned but when labour started i knew somethin was diff. omg the pain in my bum and back but that said i had her drug free in about 5 hrs my son was 3 days pethadine and gas . although the second hurt more it was so much better. i stayed in the bath rocking on all fours i flooded the room then i birthed on all fours. u will b fine . good luck smile

Posted by: kimzed
I am just over 36 weeks and today learned that bubs is in posterior position. I was also told he might be early.

What are the chances he will turn into the right position by the time labour starts?? I heard that posterior births are really long and much more painful. This is my first baby. He is 2/5ths engaged already.

Thanks!

Babies can move into an anterior position from a posterior
position during labour, so at 36 weeks there is plenty of time for s/he to move.
2/5's engaged is pretty normal at 36 weeks too. Did your care provider tell you this? Doesn't necessarily mean you will go into labour early.
How committed are you to supporting your baby into an anterior position? There are endless things you can do if you are committed and able (medically, financially etc) to try things . Check out the 'spinning babies' website for optimal foetal positioning techniques, you can swim frequently, use accupunture, oestopathy or chiropractic techniques to mention a few.
If you really want your baby to move then you would need to be absolutely vigilant and 'obsessed' about it.
Good luck.
Sign in to follow this topic