Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Birth Plan for VBAC Lock Rss

Just wondering if anyone has ideas to help me with a birth plan. I will be trying for a VBAC and after 1 natural birth and an emerg c/s (9 years ago!) i'm not really sure if what i have will be relevant. If there are any Mum's out there that have either attempted or had a sucessful VBAC that could help it would be greatly appreciated. We are at 35 weeks now so starting to get a bit nervous, and some of the info from the hosp is very daunting. I have a basic plan done but not knowing what to expect makes it hard to know if what i have is right. The MW have told me to have one ready but didn't give anymore info than a normal delivery.

Tash

No 4 on the way!

I guess you just look at whats important to you re your child's birth and frame it all around that. The fact that you've had a vb previously you can use that to guide you a bit with regards to what you would or wouldn't want to happen again iykwim. It's a good idea to include what you want or not want to happen during the labour, but also what your wishes are after the birth too. For example;

YOU - No monitoring during labour, wish to move freely.
Would like access to bath/shower during labour.
No drugs. OR want gas only. OR open to anything re pain relief.
No VE's without consent
No ARM
Partner/you to cut cord.

BABY - baby delivered onto mums chest or no one to touch baby unless problems arise.
If baby needs to go to scn partner to go along and stay with baby at all times. No procedures to be done to baby without prior consent from parent.

Should a c/s be necessary - partner to be present.
baby to be placed on mums chest immediatly after extraction.
No one is to wash or bathe baby apart from the mother or father.
Baby to stay with mum or partner during recovery.

It's also a good idea to dot point each requirement and make it short and clear, not too long-winded. I've heard it's a good idea to keep it limited to one page. Also, as well as giving a copy to your care-provider don't assume that everyone that will care for you will read it. Make some extra copies and pack them in your hospital bag. Ask for one to be stuck on the door of the delivery suite so that anyone entering the room to assist you will have the opportunity to see it. Good luck hope you get the birth you want:)
The one above sounds good smile
I had a VBAC in October 2009 and followed my birth plan 100%
Mine went like this:
-stay at home as long as I can withstand the pain
-As little monitoring as possible allowing access to shower and to be able to walk around
-use TENS and gas for pain
-only get an epidural if I feel the pain is getting out of control, but only enough so I can still change position
-bub to go straight on the boob after birth

I stayed home 1 hour after my waters broke, went straight in to the birthing suite, was hooked up to monitors but they still let me have the TENS (which did not much at all)
I asked for the epi 1 hour after that, contractions were 1 minute apart and super intense and I was fully dilated but baby was not descending so I had alot of pushing to do
Changed into the all 4s position and she was born and placed on my chest straight away where she latched on
I wish I had put that DH was to cut the cord because he didn't get to and was disappointed.

They will want to monitor you heaps but you should be able to take the monitors off if you want tobe mobile and just get it all checked occasionally

good luck, fingers crossed for you x Hope it all turns out how you want smile

Hi,
I have had two VBACS, one in october 2007 and one in August 2009. I was under the impression the you WILL have to be monitored the entire time to ensure your safety. With my last the labour was only 3 hours long and for most of that time i was standing up leaning on a fit ball on top of the bed. i think that standing up and walking a bit helps make it all go faster.
With my firt VBAC i was in labour for over 20 hours and was pretty much laying down the entire time, with lots of drugs, long time pushing and eventually needing forceps and having a large tear.
Best of luck with everything.
Thanks ladies, i have a few more things to add to my birth plan now. Some things i never would've even thought to put down, i just assumed that they would know re: cutting the cord etc.

No 4 on the way!

Posted by: mumof3gurls
Hi,
I have had two VBACS, one in october 2007 and one in August 2009. I was under the impression the you WILL have to be monitored the entire time to ensure your safety.

Mmm, not sure who gave you this info, but it is incorrect. The decision to have monitoring, as with other interventions, is completely up to the mother. It is wise to look at current evidence based information about the effectiveness of constant monitoring and you will find that there are very good reasons not to use monitoring during labour.
Well we had a quick trip to the hosp on Thurs night because of decreased movements that day and a total feeling of unease. Everything is fine and i think my body is just making sure it is really ready for this baby. I had my birth plan with me and obviously the m/w had a good look. I got the distinct impression she doesn't like the idea of VBAC's, also she bascially told me that some of the things i am requesting there is no hope of getting for eg: no IV and no continuious monitoring. As nice as she was i really hope she isn't working the day we go in. I know that i have the right to choose and would never put myself or baby at risk and i've also accepted the fact that it may end in another c/s but now i'm really upset that my wishes will be ignored and like my last labour i will be bullied into doing things i'd rather not. Maybe it would be a good thing if this baby come unannounced and too quick to get to the hospital, lol!

Tash

No 4 on the way!

I just had a VBAC in November. I was very unsure and undecided whether to or not for fear of the scar rupturing etc although the chance is very small. My DD decided to make an early appearance so I was still deciding to have a VBAC or not. My obstetrician had given me the choice of having one or not and didnt try to convince me either way. It was actually the midwives at the hospital who encouraged me to give it a go. I had been told though by my OB that if things didnt progress that I would be in for another c/s. So in the end I didnt actually have a birth plan and just went with it. My OB told me to have an epidural incase i did need a c/s - which i would have asked for myself eventually anyway and he broke my waters which meant i dialated about a cm an hour and kept progressing. I ended up having a successful VBAC and for me Im glad I went along with my OB's advice - my baby was born safely and it was a great experience for all of us!
Unfortunately it seems there is no 'one right way' to do it and it does come down to medical opinion.

However I have been advised when I try for my VBAC I will have the IV set up when admitted to make it quicker incase of emergency and it was basically a condition to have constant monitoring incase of foetal distress. However I have read reports that do suggest against constant monitoring, including reasons of concentrating on the monitor too much and letting you worry you, and its restrictive ie no showers or walking.

So I guess you can try for a VBAC plan but like any labour it may not go that way. But I agree with the first reply re your wishes re aspects of the birth, ie if you want baby placed straight onto chest, partner there incase of c-sect etc.

Either way, good luck. I hope the midwives ARE supportive of your VBAC desires and give you a fair go. All the best.

Hey there.
I attempted a VBAC 5 weeks ago, but ended up with emergency C sec after 20 hours of labour.
Some things i wish i could do again.
*I wouldn't have gone into hospital till much later, as soon as i went to the hospital they hooked me onto all the machines and it stressed me out and my contractions stopped.
* I would have had a LOT less examinations as they kept on checking me all the time and telling me it wasn't happening fast enough, which put more stress on me, but i really didn't know what was going on and wasn't prepared for it.
*I would have loved to have had less monitoring, although i was allowed on the fitball etc which was good, but i wasn't really allowed to walk around etc.. But they were pretty strict on the monitoring.

Posted by: 3_busy_rugrats
Hey there.
I attempted a VBAC 5 weeks ago, but ended up with emergency C sec after 20 hours of labour.
Some things i wish i could do again.
*I wouldn't have gone into hospital till much later, as soon as i went to the hospital they hooked me onto all the machines and it stressed me out and my contractions stopped.
* I would have had a LOT less examinations as they kept on checking me all the time and telling me it wasn't happening fast enough, which put more stress on me, but i really didn't know what was going on and wasn't prepared for it.
*I would have loved to have had less monitoring, although i was allowed on the fitball etc which was good, but i wasn't really allowed to walk around etc.. But they were pretty strict on the monitoring.

This just makes me so MAD!!! Why would an OB tell a woman that they support a VBAC when they put practices in place which will increase her chances of a C/S? This baffles me! Constant monitoring is a known factor in decreasing movement and therefore increasing pain. Increased pain, more likely to ask for pain relief or epi which increases likilood of C/S. If you are not active then you are less likely to progress - then you are told you are not dialating fast enough. Fast enough for who exactly? You are put on a whole heap of machines, given totally unneccesary examinations all things that the hospital knows increases a woman's stress, which again inhibits the labour process.
This is all supposed to be for the benefit of mother/baby. What this is really called is the cascade of intervention. The slippery slope to a c/s! Why are OBs not following evidence based practice? Why are woman not given information about how they can best achieve a VBAC? Your story 3_busy_rugrats is so common, and I am sorry you didn't have the birth experience you hoped for.
this is my #3 last 2 were drugfree short labours
this time i want my babys heartbeat monitiored whole time my sister in law lost her baby 3 weeks ago strong heartbeat at 2am passed by 4 am so im not taking any chances i wont the heartbeat cheaked all time until born i couldnt go threw what shes going threw took them 6 years to get pregnat & only too lose him at end was too much,too sad

Sign in to follow this topic